Can't figure out why anyone with a Cell Phone and Laptop needs with a Tablet

Well, I agree with you on this. I use an iPhone (currently a 6 plus) and I own a iPad 2 and a Mini. I hardly ever use either pad. It just sits there.

I felt tablets were a waste for a long time.

I still feel "smart phones" are more bother than worth.

But I decided to try a tablet when packing a suitcase for my frequent travel. I had been packing a MacBook Air 11-inch which was pretty compact. I used it to keep my detailed trip plans and notes in compact form. I downloaded my camera to it each evening to back up the pictures in case the camera was lost or stolen. Between email and SKYPE I kept in touch with family without running up big phone bills. I do carry a Eurobuzz simple cell phone when traveling. That way I can deal with emergencies and get immediate messages about flight changes. Also good for getting the occasional cab. Neat device; buy it outright for a pittance and pay 79-cents/minute which seems high but you pay for only what you use and no monthly fees at all.

But then one day while packing II found that even the laptop took up too much room. I bought a reconditioned IPad mini. It does everything I was using the laptop to do. Not as easily on the email but adequate. I don't take the laptop anymore. But my wife does. She does a lot of travel writing (you may have read some of her books but I'm not promoting them here) so puts her notes into simple text files and copies in the pictures. Then when she's home it's simple to transfer them to her big screen Mac and edit without having to transcribe. So for us there's a place for all three.

I'm experimenting with a dirt-cheap Amazon Fire and, so far, it seems like it would serve the same purpose as the more expensive iPad. I don't like the operating system but with a little experience I don't think it wold be intolerable.

Agree, there's a place for all three. Why just have a hammer and a wrench, when adding a screwdriver would be helpful? I've used two tablets regularly, an iPad mini and a Samsung Galaxy. I prefer the iPad as it is more feature rich compared to the android. I just ordered the brand new iPad Pro and am awaiting delivery. Apple has a better interface, IMO, than others.

Well -- because a screwdriver actually does something the hammer and wrench don't, that's why. Does not apply here.

This reminds me of the Nosebook craze. A while back friends that had capitulated to join Nosebook. So I asked them, "what will this give me that I don't already have?" No one ever came up with an answer. Now they're stuck with a marketing gimmick that sucks up their time and spies on what they do, and I'm not.

Who spies? The feds?

Depending upon how paranoid you are that could be possible, I suppose. However, I really don't have anything I'm guilty of, so watching me wouldn't be all that revealing. Tablets are no different than laptops and desktop computers in that you set them up with the security of a pass code and a password and a user name.

Nothing is safe or protected.

I notice while looking for jobs they want your SSN? Crazy. Who would do that?
You give you CC to many people and websites.

Life is a huge gamble, and fixing identity theft and your credit rating (from what I hear) is a nightmare....

Depending upon how paranoid you are that could be possible, I suppose. However, I really don't have anything I'm guilty of, so watching me wouldn't be all that revealing. Tablets are no different than laptops and desktop computers in that you set them up with the security of a pass code and a password and a user name.

Tablets don't have a keyvboard Mongo. And who the fuck sits at home and chat on a tablet instead of a PC or laptop but a retarded person?

Nothing is safe or protected.

I notice while looking for jobs they want your SSN? Crazy. Who would do that?
You give you CC to many people and websites.

Life is a huge gamble, and fixing identity theft and your credit rating (from what I hear) is a nightmare....

Those are the jobs you are supposed to skip

I have an iPhone I use to talk/text and for finding where I am going
I have a laptop that I use for work/email/here/general browsing
I have a Kindle I use for primarily reading.
You cannot obviously comfortably read on a laptop, nor is the screen made for reading.
You can read on a phone, but the screen is too small.

What the fuck you mean you can't read on the laptop? Are you retarded?

I said comfortably read...and hey go to hell dumbass. Calling me retarded...Fuck you.

I have a tablet

I no longer have a PC at home

Can you give me a detailed intelligent answer as to why you would chose a Tablet over a Laptop or PC when you are home?????????????
Easy
Convenience

It is always there, there is no bootup required. If I am curious about something, I just open the tablet and it is ready to go. It is lightweight. I can watch movies on it, I can read books on it, I can listen to music on it, I can take pictures and video on it
Tablets are great for Skype
I used to have a tablet and a PC. When the PC met its maker, I never saw a need to replace it

I have a tablet

Can you give me a detailed intelligent answer as to why you would chose a Tablet over a Laptop or PC when you are home?????????????
Easy
Convenience

It is always there, there is no bootup required. If I am curious about something, I just open the tablet and it is ready to go. It is lightweight. I can watch movies on it, I can read books on it, I can listen to music on it, I can take pictures and video on it
I used to have a tablet and a PC. When the PC met its maker, I never saw a need to replace it

Yabbut the laptop does all that, and way more. And it doesn't need bootup if you never turn it off.

So e.g. I can listen to music, but I can also download, save, edit and upload it back. Or create it from scratch. Not sure why I'd want to limit that out.

I have a tablet

Easy
Convenience

Yabbut the laptop does all that, and way more. And it doesn't need bootup if you never turn it off.

So e.g. I can listen to music, but I can also download, save, edit and upload it back. Or create it from scratch. Not sure why I'd want to limit that out.

Once again, the tablet is more convenient to hold and to use
Easier to carry around

I have a tablet

Easy
Convenience

Easier to carry around

All depends on what you want to do. I want to do everything. I often post here while I'm, say, editing audio files.

I will admit to owning a Nook. It's just more convenient to read while lying in bed than the laptop would be. But all it does is read books or docs. Very limited use for very limited times.

Bigger phones are a trend --- smaller tablets are hot sales items. SOON you have a phone in a tablet and your damn phone will be too big. It's all technology development stuck in the mud. Nobody has an earthly clue why you need so many similar gadgets.

To answer the question -- tablets are for fun. Laptops are for work and getting paid. If you're getting paid -- the laptop ain't "too heavy"..

You can have a phone in a tablet now. They come in a wifi only model or a wifi plus cellular model. The ones with both are cell phones, but with a large more viewable screen. All your contacts can be in your tablet and you can call whomever you desire making it seamless. The bigger cell phones are difficult to fit into pants pockets, and don't fit well into average sized hands. Laptops, as I mentioned, generate a lot of heat if you hold them in your lap instead of having them on a desktop. You can perform any work on a tablet that you can on a laptop, although some don't have a printer port in which case you need a Bluetooth printer. Even the models that don't have a printer port, you can email a file to your laptop or desktop computer and print it that way. Tablets will soon replace laptops.

Can't do real work on a tablet. Just don't have the full view of the screen and the touch resolution to work efficiently. Doing complex in Excel or a CAD program is not fun or easy. And typing long reports with a less that full keypad is gonna stunt your promotions.. They don't have CD/DVD either. And to set up a presentation in a conference room or office isn't as quick and reliable..

Tablets also have sketchy USB support for the common devices used for work.

Who wants to work on a tablet??? Not me.

Bigger phones are a trend --- smaller tablets are hot sales items. SOON you have a phone in a tablet and your damn phone will be too big. It's all technology development stuck in the mud. Nobody has an earthly clue why you need so many similar gadgets.

To answer the question -- tablets are for fun. Laptops are for work and getting paid. If you're getting paid -- the laptop ain't "too heavy"..

You can have a phone in a tablet now. They come in a wifi only model or a wifi plus cellular model. The ones with both are cell phones, but with a large more viewable screen. All your contacts can be in your tablet and you can call whomever you desire making it seamless. The bigger cell phones are difficult to fit into pants pockets, and don't fit well into average sized hands. Laptops, as I mentioned, generate a lot of heat if you hold them in your lap instead of having them on a desktop. You can perform any work on a tablet that you can on a laptop, although some don't have a printer port in which case you need a Bluetooth printer. Even the models that don't have a printer port, you can email a file to your laptop or desktop computer and print it that way. Tablets will soon replace laptops.

Can't do real work on a tablet. Just don't have the full view of the screen and the touch resolution to work efficiently. Doing complex in Excel or a CAD program is not fun or easy. And typing long reports with a less that full keypad is gonna stunt your promotions.. They don't have CD/DVD either. And to set up a presentation in a conference room or office isn't as quick and reliable..

Tablets also have sketchy USB support for the common devices used for work.

Who wants to work on a tablet??? Not me.

Some folks CLAIM that they can do XCel spreadsheets or PowerPt or or Word on a tablet. But I don't think they are not realizing how time inefficient and dangerous that is. Because your view of the page is so limited to get a safe touch zone -- that you are constantly swiping, scrolling and sizing. I'd be shocked if there was a side by side RACE to do a task and ANYONE ever won it on a tablet. Including counting accuracy..

I like having both a tablet and a smartphone.
It's easier to see things on the tablet, but I can just throw the phone in my pocket.

I use iPad, iPhone and laptop depending on my applications and convenience. Excel, power point, replicating and other complex applications will be laptop. Anything less will be iPad or iPhone.

I have a tablet

Easy
Convenience

Easier to carry around

But the phone does the same thing LOL

Forum List

Back