Can't We Get Along?

mattskramer

Apr 11, 2004
Texas
I’ve been reading books that compare and contrast different religions. I have read the Torah, the New Testament, and the Koran. I’ve read the history of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. I’m amazed that each group from time to time in the name of its religion has perpetrated so much evil.

Jews slaughtered Canaanites, Philistines, and other indigenous peoples (men, women and even children) in the land that God was to give to them. To find evils done by Christians, one can easily look up “Crusades” and the “Spanish Inquisition” and “Manifest Destiny”. Finally, there are the militant Islamic terrorist organizations.

Yet, people of these 3 religions have done some good. Each of the 3 religions has its charities. There are many generous Jewish organizations. One of my favorites is the Jewish Communal Fund. There are many generous Christian organizations. Look up “Christians Organizations WorldWide”. Yes, there are even many generous Islamic charities. Simply look up “Islamic Relief Worldwide”.

One might argue that each religion’s “Holy Book” advocates war against peaceful non-believers. I don’t see that to be the case. There are instances in which one may be able to pull a few phrases or even sentences out of context and interpret them in such a way as to advocate intolerance. Yet, as I read the books as a whole, I concluded that, in general, each book called ultimately for peaceful coexistence.

At any rate, I am not going to pick religious sides and fight. Why can’t we all just get along?

mattskramer said:
At any rate, I am not going to pick religious sides and fight. Why can’t we all just get along?

Great question. However, at present, you'll only find one sect of one religion aggressively waging war against non-believers: Wahabbi Islam. They are the ones you should ask.

Good point, Jeff.
Religious conflict has been a part of world history as long as there as been world history. The Middle East has been the site of armed religious struggles and infighting for milleniums longer than the U.S. has been populated by outsiders. That is why we should leave them alone.

gop_jeff said:
So you're cool with millions living and dying in poverty because of religious animosity?

It has happened in Africa and other parts of the world for centuries without anyone caring a bit. If we weren't so busy trying to kill them, maybe we could understand them.

Gabriella84 said:
It has happened in Africa and other parts of the world for centuries without anyone caring a bit. If we weren't so busy trying to kill them, maybe we could understand them.

It shouldn't be happening in Africa either. Unfortunately, we have to prioritize our efforts.

Your last sentence, however, is ridiculous. You make the false assumption that we can't simultaneously gather intelligence on the cultural and political background of a country and wage war against it, when in fact, the relevant intelligence gathering is usually done long before combat begins.

-=d=- said:
you should research the crusades. Learn about the who and the why before making accusations.

:)

I’ve read about the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, and the notion of Manifest Destiny. I’ve also read about the Salem Witch Trials, and the wars between Northern Ireland and England. I’ve even read about Jim Jones, David Koresh, and about how certain groups similar to the KKK interpret the Bible in ways to legitimize segregation. I don’t know the ratio of Koresh people to Bin Laden people and I don’t care. I guess that my point is that I’ve lost interest in being a “bean counter”, picking sides, and participating in self-righteous game of religious superiority. Some day the vast majority of us may actually seek to really understand each other (each person’s religion) and look for the good in our neighbor with as much eagerness as we seem to search for the bad.

mattskramer said:
Why can’t we all just get along?

This HAS to be one of the most REDICULOUS things I've ever heard. I can't believe you even ask.

The short answer would be, "because people don't agree".

mattskramer said:
I’ve read about the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, and the notion of Manifest Destiny. I’ve also read about the Salem Witch Trials, and the wars between Northern Ireland and England. I’ve even read about Jim Jones, David Koresh, and about how certain groups similar to the KKK interpret the Bible in ways to legitimize segregation. I don’t know the ratio of Koresh people to Bin Laden people and I don’t care. I guess that my point is that I’ve lost interest in being a “bean counter”, picking sides, and participating in self-righteous game of religious superiority. Some day the vast majority of us may actually seek to really understand each other (each person’s religion) and look for the good in our neighbor with as much eagerness as we seem to search for the bad.

..then you would know the Crusades were about White people defending Israel from Attacking Muslims.

mattskramer said:

Big picture here Matt is that most of us do get along and for those who don't religion is not the problem, the problem is sin, evil, and corruption in people that use religion to veil their agenda. And it is those people that give everyone who is at least trying to do the right thing a bad name. First part of understanding conflict is understanding human nature when it is corrupted.

Bonnie said:
Big picture here Matt is that most of us do get along and for those who don't religion is not the problem, the problem is sin, evil, and corruption in people that use religion to veil their agenda. And it is those people that give everyone who is at least trying to do the right thing a bad name. First part of understanding conflict is understanding human nature when it is corrupted.

Excellent statement.

Matt. I personally don't care about anyones religion. I think all terrorists from the IRA to basque seperatists to the red brigades to Al freaking quaida should be hunted down like rabid dogs and shot. It aint about religion for me. It's a fundamental good v. evil. It's about people who want to live peacefully against those who conspire to kill women and kids because they don't agree with my rights and views.

Until they stop (after all they started it), no one is getting along.

pegwinn said:
Matt. I personally don't care about anyones religion. I think all terrorists from the IRA to basque seperatists to the red brigades to Al freaking quaida should be hunted down like rabid dogs and shot. It aint about religion for me. It's a fundamental good v. evil. It's about people who want to live peacefully against those who conspire to kill women and kids because they don't agree with my rights and views.

If you need a spotter, I can spot or shoot.

Pale Rider said:
This HAS to be one of the most REDICULOUS things I've ever heard. I can't believe you even ask.

The short answer would be, "because people don't agree".

It is possible to agree to disagree without being disagreeable.

pegwinn said:

I'm glad that it is not about religion for you. It seems as though you are able to separate the killers from their religion. It should not matter whether or not terrorists are Jewish, Christan, or Muslim. It is not the religion that kills people but the killers who, by definition, kill people.

"Can't we all just get along"...so Rodney King and PC...also the "Islamic relief Worldwide" is nothing more than a front for terrorist cell funding! :eek2:

Forum List

Back