City of Providence to Pink Slip All Teachers

The prime issue with public unions is that once you have a bad worker, it is almost impossible to get rid of them. Private sector unions protect thier own, but realize that if the company is to survive and thier jobs still exist, people who cant or wont do the work have to be let go.

That is an issue. But it's not the prime issue.

The Prime Issue with public employee unions is that they pit public employees against The Public/The Taxpayers.

Besides which, I'd rather have a history major with no empahsis in education teaching my kids than a teacher who has spent 4 years studying ways to EDUCATE instead of the subjects they teach, and who can't spell her own name.

I'm currently licensed to teach here in Florida (although I currently have a different job)-and I never took 1 education class in college. I'm sure it depends on your state-just saying.

Education classes are a waste of Education.

The prime issue with public unions is that once you have a bad worker, it is almost impossible to get rid of them. Private sector unions protect thier own, but realize that if the company is to survive and thier jobs still exist, people who cant or wont do the work have to be let go.

That is an issue. But it's not the prime issue.

The Prime Issue with public employee unions is that they pit public employees against The Public/The Taxpayers.

I actually came across a good argument for public sector unions recently, and have to admit I see some use for them now. They can serve to insulate the workers from politicians, and that does make some sense. There are other ways that might work, but unions seem to be the least problematic that I can think of.

The problem comes in the collective bargaining for benefits. Defined benefit plans sound great in the abstract, but they are all but impossible to pay for. The private sector, since it has to actually run on a profit, was able to sit down with the unions and explain the problems. This resulted in a shift away from this type of pension, and it has all but disappeared from the private sector.

The public sector does not have this problem, so the politicians, and the union officials, both used them to get votes. This delivered a reliable block of votes to whichever politician made the most extravagant promises, and kept the union officials in a cushy position with even better retirement than the members got.

Now that the bill is coming due someone has to pay, and the unions officials, and a few politicians, are still trying to convince the union members that it does not have to be them. Someone needs to sit down with those union members and show them that no one else can possibly pay because the money simply does not exist. I feel bad for the members because they were lied to, but I cannot preform miracles, and neither can anyone else.

Breaking the union's power to collectively bargain may not be the only way to convince union members that this is fiscally impossible, but the only ones who will really suffer are the union bosses and the politicians who are still lying to them. I see no reason for them not to suffer, and I actually like the idea that they will not be able to keep lying to the members, and riding their votes into a secure position with no accountability with reality.

Break the unions so that the liars suffer. The teachers will suffer also, but they will ed up suffering more if we let everyone keep lying to them. That is the reason I like Christie, he is pointing out that he is simply telling the truth, and that if the members want to be angry they should direct the anger at the people who have been lying to them for years.

Don't you think it's delightful that we get rid of all the teachers? :clap2::clap2::clap2:

America under Republicans! :clap2::clap2::clap2:
That's a republican state?..........We have a republican president?

My god, you are so stupid it's amazing

Here's something to keep your lil' feeble lesbian mind occupied, while those who actually have a brain discuss amongst themselves::boobies:

I blame your teachers....or maybe they had to spend all their time protecting the other students from your anti-social bullying ways. In fact, I bet you spent most of your time in detention or suspended and your school was better for it.
Nope!....Was never suspended or sent to detention. Was an excellent student.

I blame your (fill in the blank) for not instilling morals in you as a child.

Don't you think it's delightful that we get rid of all the teachers? :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Providence is a Republican city? That's news to me and everyone who lives there. :tongue:

You do realize that they aren't getting rid of all the teachers, right?

:eusa_hand:

Then why did you title the thread, "City of Providence to Pink Slip ALL Teachers."

:confused:

Gee, I don't know. Because they did? Again, read the article and you wouldn't have to ask me these questions. What is the link for if nobody is going to read it?

That's a republican state?..........We have a republican president?

My god, you are so stupid it's amazing

Here's something to keep your lil' feeble lesbian mind occupied, while those who actually have a brain discuss amongst themselves::boobies:

I blame your teachers....or maybe they had to spend all their time protecting the other students from your anti-social bullying ways. In fact, I bet you spent most of your time in detention or suspended and your school was better for it.

Of course, that is what you would like us to believe...but your behavior on this board belies that.

Do we really expect you to tell the truth about your failures to socialize in school? :lol:

Of course, that is what you would like us to believe...but your behavior on this board belies that.

Do we really expect you to tell the truth about your failures to socialize in school? :lol:
We all know your success at socializing in school was staring at all the other girls in the shower after P.E........No doubt, you were that creepy girl who was always staring and licking your lips.:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::eusa_drool:

We all know your success at socializing in school was staring at all the other girls in the shower after P.E........No doubt, you were that creepy girl who was always staring and licking your lips.:boobies::boobies::boobies::boobies::eusa_drool:

I don't see how her sexuality is relevant to the topic.

Providence is a Republican city? That's news to me and everyone who lives there. :tongue:

You do realize that they aren't getting rid of all the teachers, right?

Then why did you title the thread, "City of Providence to Pink Slip ALL Teachers."

Gee, I don't know. Because they did? Again, read the article and you wouldn't have to ask me these questions. What is the link for if nobody is going to read it?

First you said, "City of Providence was giving Pink Slips to ALL teachers."

Then you said, "they aren't getting rid of all the teachers."

THEN you said, "they did."

Um, did YOU read the article?

It's all Wicked's got....somehow or another, he was failed by our Education system and it shows now.

Yep, and you obviously still haven't. Don't bother me again until you do.

And how was her post "relevent to the topic"?

LMAO!

It's the way she likes to play so, we play.

And don't think you're coming to the rescue of some fair maiden, son.

It's all Wicked's got....somehow or another, he was failed by our Education system and it shows now.
Oh, i've got plenty on you, TROLL!

All those lies of yours that I continually expose being the least of 'em!

The fact that you NEVER debate can be thrown in there too.

They aren't being thrown under the bus. There is no way public employees should continue to receive bloated salarie s when there is no money. Our managers and front line workers have already taken income hits. It amusing that the very people who have voted rank and file for wildly expensive (and unnecessary) programs are also ones to scream the loudest when they have to help pay for those programs.

Wisconsin led the way with welfare reform; now they're going to do the same for education. It's about time.
Not to mention the birthplace of the Republican party.

Public sector unions have to realize... the gravy train has hit the end of the line. All change.

Frankly, I see no evidence you read the article since you don't seem to know whether or not they did, or did not, or did, give pink slips to ALL the teachers.

If you're gonna start a thread, it would seem that at minimum you should know something about the subject.

Frankly, I see no evidence you read the article since you don't seem to know whether or not they did, or did not, or did, give pink slips to ALL the teachers.

If you're gonna start a thread, it would seem that at minimum you should know something about the subject.

They all aren't being fired, all of them are being given the notice (as required by their union) that they could be fired. Personally, I find the sensationalism and the reaction to it to be full of shit, this is hardly union-busting or another Wisconsin, but Projo is sure as hell trying to play it up as such. The city is attempting to fix the budget and wishes to fire some teachers to do so.

They all aren't being fired, all of them are being given the notice (as required by their union) that they could be fired. Personally, I find the sensationalism and the reaction to it to be full of shit, this is hardly union-busting or another Wisconsin, but Projo is sure as hell trying to play it up as such. The city is attempting to fix the budget and wishes to fire some teachers to do so.

As a teacher I always worked on an annual contract with the school district, which was renewed, or not, every year. All Texas teachers work with the possibility of their contract not being renewed the next year, making a "pink slip" somewhat redundent.

As a teacher I always worked on an annual contract with the school district, which was renewed, or not, every year. All Texas teachers work with the possibility of their contract not being renewed the next year, making a "pink slip" somewhat redundent.

I think Taz phrased the thread title wrong. Rhode Island has that too, and March 1st is the date that a teacher is required to know the possibility of them getting it renewed or not.

RI General Law, Title 16-13, Teachers’ Tenure, states that “Teaching service shall be on the basis of an annual contract, except as hereinafter provided, and the contract shall be deemed to be continuous unless the governing body of the schools shall notify the teacher in writing on or before March 1 that the contract for the ensuing year will not be renewed; provided, however, that a teacher, upon request, shall be furnished a statement of cause for dismissal or nonrenewal of his or her contract by the school committee; provided further, that whenever any contract is not renewed or the teacher is dismissed, the teacher shall be entitled to a hearing an appeal pursuant to the procedure set forth in 16-13.4.”

This happens every year, but what makes it especially newsworthy is the deficit and the pure scale of it, coupled with whats going on over in Wisconsin. In turn, people hold this up as examples of union-busting and how teachers are evil leeches that bloat the deficit, which is a load of overly politicized, sensationalist tabloid horse shit.

Last edited:

oh the dramatics..:eusa_hand:

what don't you get, WE are BROKE and can't afford their bloated salaries and benefits. you can't suck much more BLOOD from the taxpayers, though if you lefties could, you would.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back