Colorado Man Could Sue Divers Who Saved Him From Submerged Car

Chuckt

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2013
Colorado Man Could Sue Divers Who Saved Him From Submerged Car

Ortiz was able to find a small air bubble in the back of his car where Ferszt said his client spent two hours waiting to be rescued.

Since the accident, Ortiz has racked up $40,000 in medical bills and still has shoulder issues and trouble sleeping, including a recurring dream of shivering to death, Ferszt said.

Whether a future lawsuit is filed will depend "on Roy's medical treatment and how that pans out," Ferszt said.

Colorado Man Could Sue Divers Who Saved Him From Submerged Car - ABC News

They risked their lives to save him, and did indeed save his life.

Ortiz claims that rescue crews didn’t realize that he was trapped in his vehicle, which was upside down, in the early hours of September 12. He claims to have been yelling but never got a response from them.

“I started yelling again and I started making noise to let them know, those people, that I’m alive,” Ortiz said.

He said that they had failed to help him after he jumped into the back seat of his 2003 Pontiac in an effort to stay alive and had to stay there for two hours until help arrived.

Now, six months later, Ortiz wants to sue the very people who saved his life rather than thank them for risking their own to save his, claiming he needs help with his medical bills.

Save a life and get sued. Why should first responders give a shit if this is the outcome?

However, true bravery and grace of first responses was reflected in ones response:

Sara Farris from North Metro Fire Department said that “I’m sure it was a traumatic experience for him,” then added that “Ultimately, we were just very grateful we were able to save his life that day.”

They risked their lives to save him, and did indeed save his life.

Ortiz claims that rescue crews didn’t realize that he was trapped in his vehicle, which was upside down, in the early hours of September 12. He claims to have been yelling but never got a response from them.

“I started yelling again and I started making noise to let them know, those people, that I’m alive,” Ortiz said.

He said that they had failed to help him after he jumped into the back seat of his 2003 Pontiac in an effort to stay alive and had to stay there for two hours until help arrived.

Now, six months later, Ortiz wants to sue the very people who saved his life rather than thank them for risking their own to save his, claiming he needs help with his medical bills.

Save a life and get sued. Why should first responders give a shit if this is the outcome?

However, true bravery and grace of first responders was reflected in ones response:

Sara Farris from North Metro Fire Department said that “I’m sure it was a traumatic experience for him,” then added that “Ultimately, we were just very grateful we were able to save his life that day.”

This is why one sees so many keep walking when someone is in need. An asshole like this asshole will sue them.

There are good samaritan laws that probalby cover these divers.

But it is kind of sad that because we don't have adequate health coverage in this country, people have to go to these kind of extremes when facing medical bills.

In most states, good samaritan laws don't cover 1st responders. I looked at link and watched the video. The water was moving very fast and was very muddy. IMO it is very easy to see how the divers were not able to see him in the car. Also, since the water was moving so fast, it most likely covered any of the sounds he was making. I disagree with his lawyer that this was negligence.

Forum List

Back