Comet expected to impact planet over weekend

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids

Well, gravel-sized bits of one at any rate. Happy Halloween bleh bleh! :)

" AND HALLOWEEN FIREBALLS: The "Halloween asteroid" is going to miss Earth. The "Halloween fireballs" might not. If forecasters are correct, gravelly debris from Comet Encke could strike our planet's atmosphere this weekend, producing a display of fireballs like this one:

Marko Korosec took the picture last night in Artvize, Slovenia: "This spectacular meteor had two bright flashes," he says. "It caught me a bit unprepared as I was looking in other direction, saw first flash then looked up and--bam!--the second flash was so bright it lit up the ground."

Korosec says the fireball came from the constellation Taurus, which marks it as a meteoroid from Comet Encke. Most debris from Comet Encke is small, dusty and fragile, yielding meteors of ordinary brightness. Taurid fireballs come from a swarm of particles much larger than normal comet dust. They're about the size of pebbles or small stones. The rocky swarm moves within the greater Encke dust stream, sometimes hitting Earth, sometimes not. Will this Halloween be a hit? Korosec's fireball is an encouraging sign. Stay tuned."

Its 3-Am and I was out back and saw a bitching shooting start head out over the Pacific

-Geaux

Forum List

Back