🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

The US heat dome is a warning for the 2024 elections

You've been talking but the facts in your arguments have been excruciatingly rare
You consider the empirical climate evidence from the geologic record to be exceedingly rare? Actually it's considerably voluminous.

You consider the empirical climate evidence from the geologic record to be exceedingly rare? Actually it's considerably voluminous.
The geological record is filled with information. It is a mixture of facts and theories, extrapolation, interpolations, interpretations, estimates and best guesses. Where the facts come up short is your interpretation of what it all means writh regards to to the present day situation.

The geological record is filled with information. It is a mixture of facts and theories, extrapolation, interpolations, interpretations, estimates and best guesses. Where the facts come up short is your interpretation of what it all means writh regards to to the present day situation.
You mean like the planet transitioning from a greenhouse state to an icehouse state? Or the 30 or so glacial cycles that have occurred since it did? Or maybe the influence that plate tectonics have on landmass distributions that led to thermal isolation at each pole?

You mean like the planet transitioning from a greenhouse state to an icehouse state? Or the 30 or so glacial cycles that have occurred since it did? Or maybe the influence that plate tectonics have on landmass distributions that led to thermal isolation at each pole?
None of which caused the current warming.

Sure they are. Want to discuss it in the bull ring?
I really don't want to discuss anything with you anywhere. I have you on ignore, but when no one else is active, you're all I've got.

And wtf do you mean by "the bull ring"? Is there something you can say in there that you can't say here?

Last edited:
I really don't want to discuss anything with you anywhere. I actually have you on ignore, but when no one else is talking, you're all I've got.

Is there something you can say in the "bull ring" that you can't say here?
That's because you know better than to debate me in the bull ring. Keep throwing rocks at your betters.

No theory is ever proven. It's part of the definition of the word "theory" and a constraint on all the natural sciences. This particular theory is supported by an enormous amount of evidence and is accepted as valid by an extremely large percentage of published experts in the field. That is not what is typically found in something pulled from the "lame ass" category

So the science isn't settled?

No one would describe Saudi Arabia in the summer as chilly, but pilgrims at this year’s Hajj experienced something unusual even for this largely desert nation. According to the Saudi weather service, temperatures at the Grand Mosque in Mecca reached an astonishing 125 degrees Fahrenheit on Monday; 2,700 people reportedly were overcome by heat exhaustion, and dozens of pilgrims died from the temperatures.

If you have grandchildren and you want them to see a bright future, you will not vote for trump. He has vowed to roll back all environmental efforts to battle climate change. His view into the future extends no farther than the end of his orange nose. With trump is is all about power and money. He is thinking of his Saudi friends and their dependence on fossil fuel revenue.

Within five years, we may be seeing 120+ degrees temperature in the US, on a regular basis. Then the repubs will come up with another excuse to deny climate change.
Staying out in the heat weeds out thickos, just like staying out in the artic cold. The average temperature in Saudi Arabia is 27c to 43c. As world temperatures and sea levels change, just like dinosaurs, they will move about. Don't forget, your sauna is warmer, but you always move to a cooler room.

Theories are proven (and discarded) all the time. I grew up reading about different theories about the structure of the atom and molecules. Those theories don't exist any more because we know. We all saw theories about how COVID was spread, and we stood six feet apart and wore worthless masks to prove it. The Hubbell telescope killed off many theories about the universe and the bodies in it. Now we know. Theories are almost all eventually replaced by data-driven knowledge.

Here's my theory about climate change: Nothing done in the United States today will have any measurable impact on the climate a hundred years out.

I base my theory on the fact that the two most populous countries in the world, while they are making attempts to cut their greenhouse gas emissions, have not committed to reducing their GG emissions until after 2030, a date that will probably be delayed. I base my theory on the fact that half of the world's population couldn't care less about saving the planet. They want little luxuries like electricity, clean water and sanitation, energy to cook food that is not dung, and things like that. And their cheapest and best source of the energy to come into modernity is plentiful, reliable COAL!

So the impact of a Presidential mandate that we drive EV's, and EPA demands that we raise our thermostats in the summertime and lower them in the wintertime, and the President's antagonism toward the petroleum industry, are utterly worthless and will have no impact. Suffering today in the hope of some undefinable, speculative benefit for our great grandchildren.*

See the highlighted sentence above.

* And isn't it ironic that the Democrats' disastrous spending in Congress will CERTAINLY drive up the cost of interest, thus squeezing out each and every element of "free stuff" that they use to try to buy votes with today?

No theory is ever proven. It's part of the definition of the word "theory" and a constraint on all the natural sciences. This particular theory is supported by an enormous amount of evidence and is accepted as valid by an extremely large percentage of published experts in the field. That is not what is typically found in something pulled from the "lame ass" category.
Correct, and the climate based on computer models is not science, it's political science. That's why predictions come, fail, and then go, and what this global warming, to climate change, to man made climate change, to now speed of climate change keeps morphing. Political science changes more often than the wind. At least today I've learnt were not going to go extinct, we just need to figure out the dinosaur's secrets to surviving naughty weather.

Correct, and the climate based on computer models is not science, it's political science.
Wrong. It is science using computer models. Science WITHOUT computers can be just as fucked up as science WITH them. There is nothing magically flawed in the use of computers. The automatic rejection of computer model results that the denier movement has taken as dogma is a unsupportable act of desperation.
That's why predictions come, fail, and then go
Predictions like continued increases in CO2? Predictions like continued and accelerating increases in temperature? Predictions like continued and accelerating ice melt around the planet? Predictions like continued and accelerating sea level rise? Predictions like the acidification of the world's oceans? Predictions like expanding coral bleaching events? Predictions like seasonal timing effects on wildlife? Have these come, failed and gone?
and what this global warming, to climate change, to man made climate change, to now speed of climate change keeps morphing.
It has NEVER morphed. The world has continued to warm. If you think the term global warming was abandoned due to a lack of warming, you need to show us the data that support that claim. Science has ALWAYS known that the problem with this change was the rate at which it was taking place. That YOU did not know that was, once again, YOUR error, not science's.
Political science changes more often than the wind.
Do not confuse political science with politics. Political science changes no more than any other field of science.
At least today I've learnt were not going to go extinct
That was your error, not that of mainstream science.
we just need to figure out the dinosaur's secrets to surviving naughty weather.
As the KT impact clearly shows, there was climate change they could not survive. However, during their span of dominance in Earth fauna, temperature changes were consistently slow.

1719749890807.png

Dinosaurs were able to survive these slow swings in temperature by migration, behavioral changes and evolution. The whole of human existence has been 1/920th of the span of the dinosaurs. The period over which temperatures have surged by 1.2C in response to human GHG emissions represents 8.1522 ten-millionths (0.00000081522) of the span of the dinosaurs.

That large temperature drop at the left end of the dinosaur era, for instance, took place at a rate of 0.00035C/century. Current temperatures are increasing at a rate of 1.8C/century, more than 28,000 times the rate the dinosaurs experienced.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back