🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Congress needs to be purged

AtheistBuddah

Jun 30, 2014
Nice try, internet :)
We need fewer politicians and lawyers in congress and more doctors, teachers, engineers, and scientists taking public office. Why is it that when you look at Congress as a group only one walk of life is represented? We need more average citizens in legislation. Throw those self serving politicians out.

Anyone from any profession can be a corrupt son of a bitch. Unfortunately we still have not developed a test to see who will be the most susceptible to lobbyist pressure and deal making, the real source of corruption. On a related note, did you hear the house just quit requiring members to disclose travel paid for by donors, corporations and lobby groups?

Anyone from any profession can be a corrupt son of a bitch. Unfortunately we still have not developed a test to see who will be the most susceptible to lobbyist pressure and deal making, the real source of corruption. On a related note, did you hear the house just quit requiring members to disclose travel paid for by donors, corporations and lobby groups?

Yes but with lawyers being a corrupt son of a bitch is almost a requirement. Or at the very least, the distinct chance of becoming one is an occupational hazard. At any rate we need more real people from the other 99% of this country represented in our legislative body. And no I didn't know about that. More bullshit.

Yes but with lawyers being a corrupt son of a bitch is almost a requirement. Or at the very least, the distinct chance of becoming one is an occupational hazard. At any rate we need more real people from the other 99% of this country represented in our legislative body. And no I didn't know about that. More bullshit.

The same skill set that makes a good lawyer makes a good politician. In this case "good" means successful at achieving goals for good or bad. In any case only total financial disclosure and real lobby reform would have the effect you desire, new freshman congressmen are probably just as susceptible to corruption, if not more so, because the influence buyers are very, very good at what they do.

We need fewer politicians and lawyers in congress and more doctors, teachers, engineers, and scientists taking public office. Why is it that when you look at Congress as a group only one walk of life is represented? We need more average citizens in legislation. Throw those self serving politicians out.

Well, I don't blame you for wishing this, but two problems.

First, I'd guess that attorneys are far more likely to have the requisite ego to want to hold public office in the first place. The, uh, profession of professional politician requires a narcissism most people will never know.

Second, our system, one which requires politicians to constantly fund-raise and to constantly make decisions based on how key/top donors will react, probably ends up corrupting pretty much anyone tho some extent.

I don't know how we get there from here. We obviously don't have the will to change the system, so we're stuck with just bending over and taking it.

Before that can happen, we will need campaign finance reform so more can afford to run.

We also need fewer career politicians in Congress. We also need term limits in Congress.

Indeed, but it's Congress that has to vote and pass legislation and they are not going to do it.

The latest poll on Congressional approval was just 8%. Who TF are these people? Easy answer, the 5% at the top of the economic ladder WHO PAY THEM for their bidding.

They fly into Dulles and Reagan airports in their corporate jets, take their private limo to the Hill with valises full of cash and give it to their congressman. Or else they donate to their congressman's non-profit (Newt Gingrich has about 8 of them). It's that simple.

Honor among thieves keeps them quiet, and if there is an honest congressman who doesn't take cash for services rendered, he or she quietly just doesn't run for office anymore. Like that happens very often.

Congress is getting paid for the gridlock we are seeing. They are getting paid to do nothing while the big banks, insurance companies and oil companies carry on and drive their profits up and your average worker into the dust.

Last edited:
We need public financing of elections. Politicians aren't listening to the average person because we aren't paying the freight. They listen to those who make the big contributions. How can we expect anything but the government we have, when office seekers have to go hat-in-hand to special interests?

We need public financing of elections. Politicians aren't listening to the average person because we aren't paying the freight. They listen to those who make the big contributions. How can we expect anything but the government we have, when office seekers have to go hat-in-hand to special interests?

You bet.

And add a Balanced Budget Amendment and term limits, and we will have taken away the power from those who abuse it the most.

Ah, to dream.

How many of us who want term limits actually try to something about it? Like voting in a primary when a sitting politician is challenged? The people term limited Eric Cantor, didn't they?

Vermont has two Senators and one Congressman. I call them the Three Stooges and try to term limit them each time they run.

We keep seeing these polls where America thinks little of Congress. The sad part is, they think poorly of your representative, theirs are just fine and dandy. So those polls are meaningless.

How many of us who want term limits actually try to something about it? Like voting in a primary when a sitting politician is challenged? The people term limited Eric Cantor, didn't they?

Vermont has two Senators and one Congressman. I call them the Three Stooges and try to term limit them each time they run.

We keep seeing these polls where America thinks little of Congress. The sad part is, they think poorly of your representative, theirs are just fine and dandy. So those polls are meaningless.

The power of incumbency would be greatly diminished under public financing. Many special interests don't care about party or political principles; they care about who has the power NOW, not who may have it in the future.

Can I ask what exactly is it that folks want from their politicians they are not getting now?

As much as I hate taxes the US taxes are fairly low in comparison to other developed countries, at least that is my impression.

Most countries would love to have our gasoline prices and our freedom to move and travel almost everywhere.

Is it unemployment, those on disability and those dropping out of the work force that is the biggest problem? If so then how does attacking corporations going to help? What exactly is it that the government is to do? What have the more successful states done to attract business and thus jobs? They have made it more conducive to business to do business in their state, not harder or more expensive.

I realize this will go unanswered but name the number ONE thing you think is a problem in the country and whether or not the influence that "big" business has on our government is making that problem worse, thanks.

I think your observation is spot on and I agree. Term limits can be as soon as the next election but you see what happens when it is tried. Cantor loses the primary and the left sees that, and paints it, as the Republican party falling apart. By all accounts the Cochran race was won by democrats disenfranchising the vast majority of republicans and the left mocks republicans as if this were some great victory. Keeping the status quo is apparently a plank of the DNC.

What you said about my representative and yours. Yes, we think them doing a good job, why? Mostly because if they bring home the bacon then we are very happy. After all what was said about Cochran and why he should stay, because he knew how to bring in the bacon, a political whore. So, if he does bring home the bacon who in that state is going to vote against him? The only people who will bitch is those whose bacon he is taking.

So the left does not understand how an incumbent can lose in the primary. The TP is for financial responsibility and they are vilified by the left and the powers to be on the right. It is really a sad state of affairs. We should all look at the national debt and say, WTF is going on and vote them all out but we just love the bacon just a little too much. And considering the opportunities for a whole bunch of people I can hardly blame them.

talks about purges make me uneasy considering the history of purges usually involves putting political enemies to death.

But assuming you mean non-violently, i don't think the problem is Congress. Congress is a representation of the people. If anything needs purging, it's our hearts. If we fix our hearts and eliminate the darkness and corruption within them, we will naturally be drawn to representatives who reflect our values and Congress will take care of itself.

Congress is just one of many symptoms of our society and cultural corruption.

And exactly WHO is going to supervise such spending?

What government agency?

How responsible would it be to the public?

What would keep it from favoring one side, such as the politicians who pay their salary?

Answer those and I might agree with you. :mad:

So your solution is the American people are forced to fund the campaigns of people who rightfully have no following because they are completely nuts?

What government agency?

What would keep it from favoring one side, such as the politicians who pay their salary?

You both make good points. Thanks for all the thoughtful posts :)

What government agency?

They'd be giving money to people who get votes. It would require publicly sponsored open forums and a extra round of primaries, IMO. If the votes are known, how would one side be favored, especially if everyone that qualifies gets the same amount of money?

Forum List

Back