Congress warned that EMP Strike could kill 90% of U.S. population...

You guys understand that an EMP is not a blast wave that hurts people, right? I just want to be clear on that.

However, it does make the case for each family having enough stockpiles to survive at least a year without having to have refrigeration. I'm pretty sure the US could get the population back on its feet by then, and critical military functions are well hardened against this. Its a good idea to have a means of power generation that doesn't depend upon a utility too.

I agree, though there is a good argument to be made that we /couldn't/ repair those transistors and shit that are blown out, there just are not enough of them on hand by even the folks who make them.

However, we can indeed survive just fine without electricity - we did it for thousands of years obviously.
Yep, and I know that the feds have contingencies for this.

Do you have a linky on hand? I've been wondering what they were going to do with it since it all came up, but kind of forgotten to research it again.
No, I didn't save any of that research. Simple sheilding for critical systems isn't that hard though. We were shelding against EMP back in the 1980's when I was in the Air Force.

Plus, anything vacuum tube supplied would still work.

An EMP fries solid state circuitry and will slag a led battery, but not too much else.

And blow out all the transistors on the grid - meaning all that shit's useless paperweights.

Who the hell uses vacuum tubes anymore? Audiophiles are the only ones I can even think of :p

Meh I'll see what I can dig up on gov plans tomorrow.
LOL

You cannot call yourself a prepper if you don't have an old vacuum tube radio tucked away somewhere. I think I have three, but only because they were 1940's bakelite and that is worth some coin on ebay!

The one thing you can be sure of is that our ICBM's are not going to be affected and a counter-strike would be immediate.

You guys understand that an EMP is not a blast wave that hurts people, right? I just want to be clear on that.

However, it does make the case for each family having enough stockpiles to survive at least a year without having to have refrigeration. I'm pretty sure the US could get the population back on its feet by then, and critical military functions are well hardened against this. Its a good idea to have a means of power generation that doesn't depend upon a utility too.
Maybe a good reason to go solar.

You know, EMP is a good argument for buying a classic car that is mid 70's or before.

No computer chips are needed for the engine, and in the event of an EMP event, if you have enough warning time, all you have to do is disconnect the battery, wait for it to pass, and then reconnect the battery to the engine.

Anything that is run by computers? Well...............that Hellcat engine you were so proud of a couple of months ago because it's super fast, is now just a large paperweight.

And, another thing you can do to try to preserve your things is to shut off the main breaker to the house.

As I understand it you can bypass the computer system on many cars. (I'd have to ask my husband for details.)

While you might be able to bypass SOME of the systems on the engine, you will never get rid of all of them, especially if you have fuel injection (like most cars do today). Matter of fact, was watching an episode on Velocity channel where the Gas Monkey garage was trying to put a Hellcat into a mid 60's car for racing. Well, they did it, but trying to bypass the systems that weren't hooked up was a nightmare for them, as well as trying to figure out what was and wasn't necessary.

Nope, if you want an engine that will run without computer help, you're gonna have to go back to the mid 70's or earlier.

hmm... not my department.

Most of ours are 90s, we do have a 78 though the engines trying to throw a rod, have a V8 in the shop we could drop in though and plenty of fuel on hand for a good while. We'd probably be better off with the snow machines up here though.

I agree, though there is a good argument to be made that we /couldn't/ repair those transistors and shit that are blown out, there just are not enough of them on hand by even the folks who make them.

However, we can indeed survive just fine without electricity - we did it for thousands of years obviously.
Yep, and I know that the feds have contingencies for this.

Do you have a linky on hand? I've been wondering what they were going to do with it since it all came up, but kind of forgotten to research it again.
No, I didn't save any of that research. Simple sheilding for critical systems isn't that hard though. We were shelding against EMP back in the 1980's when I was in the Air Force.

Plus, anything vacuum tube supplied would still work.

An EMP fries solid state circuitry and will slag a led battery, but not too much else.

And blow out all the transistors on the grid - meaning all that shit's useless paperweights.

Who the hell uses vacuum tubes anymore? Audiophiles are the only ones I can even think of :p

Meh I'll see what I can dig up on gov plans tomorrow.
LOL

You cannot call yourself a prepper if you don't have an old vacuum tube radio tucked away somewhere. I think I have three, but only because they were 1940's bakelite and that is worth some coin on ebay!

I'm not a prepper so I'm okay with that :p

Maybe a good reason to go solar.
Nothing wrong with having a solar system in your home, if for no other reason than to help keep some essential systems running overnight.

I think I will be more concerned with what effect it would have on the stock market.

Good point. I imagine it'd be fucked... Can you imagine the US just abruptly falling out of the market? That'd be fucking nuts... The data too... Uf dah.

An EMP attack would be quickly repaired. The US would not be in the stone age. Much of our infrastructure is already shielded. Cars and devices would be inoperable until the failed chip was replaced. EMP does not go on forever.

To say that an EMP attack would kill 90% of all Americans is a really stupid thing to say. Any car, truck, vehicle, not containing any computer parts would be completely uneffected.
Good news. That means my classic 1995 Sedan DeVille would keep chugging along. I don't think it has any computerized functions at all. Not even the plug-in device that diagnoses and indicates problems.

An EMP attack would be quickly repaired. The US would not be in the stone age. Much of our infrastructure is already shielded. Cars and devices would be inoperable until the failed chip was replaced. EMP does not go on forever.

To say that an EMP attack would kill 90% of all Americans is a really stupid thing to say. Any car, truck, vehicle, not containing any computer parts would be completely uneffected.
Good news. That means my classic 1995 Sedan DeVille would keep chugging along. I don't think it has any computerized functions at all. Not even the plug-in device that diagnoses and indicates problems.

If your car has fuel injection instead of a carb, your engine has computers in it.

One thing is guaranteed - such an act would result in a massive nuclear attack on North Korea, killing 100% of the population within the borders and beyond. China would not be unaffected, and were it known they were involved, they would face the same annihilation.

They know this.

Geez, within days the cities would empty out as people look for food. Wildlife would be desamated in weeks.

I think a still would be worth making. Fuel and booze! You'd be one important dude!

The one thing you can be sure of is that our ICBM's are not going to be affected and a counter-strike would be immediate.

And if it was China acting through North Korea....we could strike North Korea all day long....but who would order the strike on China? What about Iran...they are just waiting for the end times.......It wouldn't do much good for Americans here....

And the gas pumps....?

^ some of us have gas storage on site. Rural's, farmers, especially oft do. I wouldn't be surprised to see gas as a "currency" for a while in such a situation; along with food, water, etc.

Personally, I'd be hawking water from the hand pump in our well and maybe some gas.

How many of those do you have in your back pocket?

This is a problem that we need to fix......our reliance on our electrical grid is too important to our survival.....what if North Korea did this for China? They could take out the U.S. and have no repurcussions...

Congress warned North Korean EMP attack would kill '90% of all Americans'

"With the development of small nuclear arsenals and long-range missiles by new, radical U.S. adversaries, beginning with North Korea, the threat of a nuclear EMP attack against the U.S. becomes one of the few ways that such a country could inflict devastating damage to the United States. It is critical, therefore, that the U.S. national leadership address the EMP threat as a critical and existential issue, and give a high priority to assuring the leadership is engaged and the necessary steps are taken to protect the country from EMP," the experts told a House Homeland Security subcommittee

How about this scenario.....China uses North Korea to strike the U.S., then uses conventional forces to invade California and the West Coast.....to colonize the now Stone Age United States...if they did this in December....the dying off would be massive...

if that's true maybe you should tell the orange sociopath to stop ranting and raving at NK.

thanks.

Forum List

Back