🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Constitutional lesson of the Shutdown for Democrats

musingsofacac

musingsofacac
Dec 3, 2012
south east Michigan
The government shutdown that has occurred over differences between the Republican lead House, the Democratic lead Senate and the Democratic President are about a lot more than debt, spending, taxes or even Obama Care.

This is not about Government workers not getting paid, it’s not even about the shutdown’s effect on the economy, or the looming debt limit crisis on the world economy.

Simply put, it is about respecting the balance of power established by our nation’s founders.

Eric Cantor said as much:

House Majority Leader Eric Cantor said the current showdown isn’t about Obamacare or the government shutdown, but about the constitutional balance of power between the president and Congress.

Source: Obama says talks OK ? after default threat averted

Our founders foresaw this type of scenario and I believe they would have wanted the Democratic Senate, Democratic President and Republican House to compromise and find a way that they both walk away with something for the people they represent.

Right now we have a President and Senate Leader that are completely and utterly disrespecting the balance of power the framers constructed. They call the Tea Party members and other Republicans “terrorists” and “hostage takers” and they speak of negations during this budget battle as “negotiating with a gun to their head”.

This is nothing new for Congress and the President to allow a shutdown over budget differences. What is new is a President refusing to do what Presidents have always done – and that to negotiate through the shutdown, find compromises and end the crisis.

I grow tired of hearing Democrats on cable TV say – “President Obama won the election and Republicans lost seats in Senate and House, and the Supreme Court ruled the Affordable Care Act constitutional. That means the fight is over.” What they miss in all this is that while Republicans did lose some seats, they retained their majority in the House of Representatives.

The House has equal power with the Senate and the President in this budget fight. And they only have this power right now, while a new CR must be approved and a new Debt limit increase must be approved. So basically you have three people sitting down to table all with exactly equal power, and they MUST all agree.

So it is utterly un-constitutional for the Democratic leader of the Senate, Harry Reid and the Democratic President Barrack Obama to say to the House Majority Leader John Boehner that its two against one and his house must capitulate to their demands.

I wish more of my Republicans friends would see this is a fight about way more than Obama Care, it’s about forcing Democrats to respect the Constitutional balance of power designed by our framers.

It really is a lesson in Constitutional law.

What the Government Shutdown is really about | The Musings Of A Christian American Conservative

It's simple.

The Democrats don't believe in the Constitution as it is written.

They find things in it that don't exist and deny things that in it in black and white.

It's simple.

They find things in it that don't exist and deny things that in it in black and white.

We just had a thread where a liberal demanded to know why the debt limit was constitutional and where the House thought it had the power to not raise it. He claimed it was unconstitutional. Paragraph 2 section 8 Article 1 states that the Congress is the authority for borrowing on the US credit.

Of course once I posted that the thread author ran off. And the thread died.

It's simple.

We just had a thread where a liberal demanded to know why the debt limit was constitutional and where the House thought it had the power to not raise it. He claimed it was unconstitutional. Paragraph 2 section 8 Article 1 states that the Congress is the authority for borrowing on the US credit.

Yes Barrack Obama every day probably says "that darn Constitution, it really gets in my way of trying to transform this country".

The Republicans need to continue this fight and keep taking President Obama back to law school. Instead of him repeating his stupidity - "I will negotiate with you only after you have no leverage to make me do anything I don't want to do"

It's simple.

Yes Barrack Obama every day probably says "that darn Constitution, it really gets in my way of trying to transform this country".

The Republicans need to continue this fight and keep taking President Obama back to law school. Instead of him repeating his stupidity - "I will negotiate with you only after you have no leverage to make me do anything I don't want to do"

Thinking Obama will give up his chief legislative achievement is a pipe dream at best.

Theoretical: Let's say Obama is suddenly willing to negotiate. What do you think, optimally, each party would give up in this situation?

It's simple.

Negotiations already took place between Reid and Boehner. Boehner agreed that in exchange for keeping the funding at current levels they would push through a clean CR. That was the negotiation. Boehner immediately reneged on the agreement and then claimed the Senate refused to negotiate. Given that behavior, why the hell should the Senate or the President agree to negotiate?

Forum List

Back