Cool thing about Ice ???

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
If you place a container of water in your freezer .
After a certain amount of hours you will see a mix of ice and water
. What is cool is that the temp will stay at 32F for many hours even if a good freezer goes to zero

The water pitcher stays at 32F

it will never go below until all the water is solid ice ??

very interesting
This is because moving water still has a lot of moving molecules and heat

With boiling water the temp stays at 212 no matter how much heat you crank up until all the water changes from a liquid to a vapor state

. What is cool is that the temp will stay at 32F for many hours even if a good freezer goes to zero

very interesting
Here's a better one.
There are more molecules of h2o in one cup of water than all the cups of water in the oceans.

1645686050702.png

very interesting
144 BTU per pound of water ice. Heat of fusion.

Unlike almost everything else, water freezes from the top down. Fish are glad of this.

With boiling water the temp stays at 212 no matter how much heat you crank up until all the water changes from a liquid to a vapor state
Where I live water boils at 208 degrees. Why is that, genius?

Wow, you must live nearly half mile above sea level!
We live around 1500 feet. Fort worth was 700 feet above and boiled at a slightly higher temp. According to my electronic measuring device with thermocouple.

very interesting

It takes a considerable transfer of energy for matter to change from one phase to another, more than just the difference in temperature.

To melt ice, or to boil water, takes more energy going into it than just the change of temperature; it takes the energy to raise it to the higher phase—from solid to liquid, from liquid to gas.

To condense steam to water, to freeze water to ice, likewise, more energy has to come out.

This is how modern air conditioning, refrigeration, heat pumps, and such work. The refrigerant is changed between liquid and gas phases, but changes in pressure; but to convert from liquid to gas, it has to absorb a lot of heat, and to change from gas to liquid, it has to give off a lot of heat.

Well I was close. I was thinking maybe 2000 feet. I'm only at 1200 feet. Now let's wait and see what Quasar's answer is. :smoke:
Don't hold your breath. And, I don't know how accurate the device was, I just assumed it was.

Here in Albuquerque, we are about 5200', and it is hard to even make oatmeal.
The water boils away before it really gets hot enough to cook.
And the evaporating water cools off what you want to cook.

Forum List

Back