Court: No warrant needed to obtain cellphone info

Well, basically, the Court idenfied the issue. Nearly every American chooses to have a cell phone, with the knowledge that the phone companies TRACK OUR USE..

Bullshit.

Now we have Silent Circle to protect us

For the past few months, some of the world’s leading cryptographers have been keeping a closely guarded secret about a pioneering new invention. Today, they’ve decided it’s time to tell all.

Back in October, the startup tech firm Silent Circle ruffled governments’ feathers with a “surveillance-proof” smartphone app to allow people to make secure phone calls and send texts easily. Now, the company is pushing things even further—with a groundbreaking encrypted data transfer app that will enable people to send files securely from a smartphone or tablet at the touch of a button. (For now, it’s just being released for iPhones and iPads, though Android versions should come soon.) That means photographs, videos, spreadsheets, you name it—sent scrambled from one person to another in a matter of seconds.

“This has never been done before,” boasts Mike Janke, Silent Circle’s CEO. “It’s going to revolutionize the ease of privacy and security.”

Tell your friends at the NSA and the federal "courts" to go fuck themselves.

Well, basically, the Court idenfied the issue. Nearly every American chooses to have a cell phone, with the knowledge that the phone companies TRACK OUR USE..

Bullshit.

Now we have Silent Circle to protect us

For the past few months, some of the world’s leading cryptographers have been keeping a closely guarded secret about a pioneering new invention. Today, they’ve decided it’s time to tell all.

Back in October, the startup tech firm Silent Circle ruffled governments’ feathers with a “surveillance-proof” smartphone app to allow people to make secure phone calls and send texts easily. Now, the company is pushing things even further—with a groundbreaking encrypted data transfer app that will enable people to send files securely from a smartphone or tablet at the touch of a button. (For now, it’s just being released for iPhones and iPads, though Android versions should come soon.) That means photographs, videos, spreadsheets, you name it—sent scrambled from one person to another in a matter of seconds.

“This has never been done before,” boasts Mike Janke, Silent Circle’s CEO. “It’s going to revolutionize the ease of privacy and security.”

Tell your friends at the NSA and the federal "courts" to go fuck themselves.

look, this is only a super secret conspiracy to those who view it that way. I've twice sat through a presentation by an engineer guy with cellular south explaining how law enforcement may request information the past locations of cell. And, how the information is collected.

And, you've answered your own question. IF enough people really want to avoid having the govt have the ability to track them, they can buy a more expensive phone. Presumably this one won't record the past locations of towers pinged. And don't have a nice day.

As further evidence that federal courts today are nothing more than cabinet level executive departments , the scumbags in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that :

No warrant needed to obtain cellphone info

A federal appeals court ruled that cellphone data is a business record belonging to the provider and isn't protected under the Fourth Amendment.

Its hardly surprising that the conservative 5th circuit would be of the opinion private businesses own the records related to their business transactions. I don't see how that makes them Obama cabinet members.

As further evidence that federal courts today are nothing more than cabinet level executive departments , the scumbags in the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that :

A federal appeals court ruled that cellphone data is a business record belonging to the provider and isn't protected under the Fourth Amendment.

A slippery slope.

I agree this is a problem. I fear the parties of Bush and Obama are part of it. This country changed after 9-11 & not for the best.

The bastards created the problem but then WE THE PEOPLE must pay the consequences. Bullshit.

The appeals court is simply abiding by precedent. You wouldn't want them making it up as they go, would you?

Yo Vern, The CONSTITUTION, not precedent, is the Supreme Law of the Land.

this makes no sense

landlines have been rules to have an expectation of privacy by scotus...but cell phone "lines" do not?

horrible ruling

Since rape is inevitable, just relax and enjoy it, eh?

Illogical comparison, and you ignore your own actions in taking part in surrendering our expectations of privacy. However, I think there's some comparison to Brave New World, with consumerism, "class indoctrination," and chemical enhancement of happiness.

Nonsense. People enter into cellphone contracts with a reasonable expectation of privacy. No one reads the contract. You're standing on legalistic bullshit.

A company stating something does not make it so. By reading my reply you agree to send me 10% if your income for the next ten years. I'll expect my first check on August 1, 2013.

Oh, and your argument does remind me of those who think that a woman making herself attractive is inviting rape.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

If you don't want to be videotaped, don't walk around in public.

If you don't want your movements to be tracked, don't walk around with a cell phone.

I don't think that's entirely an accurate comparison. I don't think using a cell phone gives one any expectation of privacy, because if you don't know the cell phone companies keep a short term record of where your phone has been, and why they need that info, you've chosen to be uninformed. It's not a secret.

Our credit card holders also record, for at least a short time, where our cards have been used. They do this for theft protection. A consumer should call to alert them of upcoming trips. I don't see any expectation of privacy here either. And if I buy cigars or booze, I pay cash.

If you don't want to be videotaped, don't walk around in public.

If you don't want your movements to be tracked, don't walk around with a cell phone.

false analogy

using your logic, i should know where you live because 911 can trace your phone calls, don't want me to know where you live, don't ever dial 911

:rolleyes:

this makes no sense

landlines have been rules to have an expectation of privacy by scotus...but cell phone "lines" do not?

horrible ruling

The lines aren't what is at issue. Its the record of the transaction, not the content of the phone call.

you obviously haven't read the privacy for land line cases. if you had, you wouldn't have made such a dumb comment as the land lines also store your information like cell phones.

this makes no sense

horrible ruling

The lines aren't what is at issue. Its the record of the transaction, not the content of the phone call.

you obviously haven't read the privacy for land line cases. if you had, you wouldn't have made such a dumb comment as the land lines also store your information like cell phones.

And the government only needs to serve a warrant on the land line provider to get those records.

this makes no sense

horrible ruling

Well sure. In neither case can the govt "listen" w/o a warrant. But, yeah they can get the phone companies list of what numbers you called, and the phone companies list of what towers tracked your cell ... and what numbers your cell called.

edit: I don't see where the govt must get a warrant for a list of calls made from a landline. To listen, yeah, but not just a list of number.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/6/44...lecting-records-on-every-call-made-in-america

Last edited:

Forum List

Back