Cyber Attacks anyone?

Grumblenuts

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2017
Hearing about airplanes being grounded, banking disrupted, all sorts of stuff.. apparently on a global scale. No mention of anything here yet? Very strange.

Hearing about airplanes being grounded, banking disrupted, all sorts of stuff.. apparently on a global scale. No mention of anything here yet? Very strange.
Quality control. A corrupt piece of software pushed out en masse by a program that has its hooks into just about everything on the puter that it is installed on. :)

Mentioned?? you gotta hang in the right folders.

Just in case it is a cyber attack and they attack the electric grid next time, I want everyone to know I'll be fine and still have power. I know how worried you all would be.
Gloat gloat.
Sorry, just can't help myself.
By God if the Internet is is still working if that happens I'll probably have the last word on everything!
But I'll miss all you guys.....

It's being blamed on a bad update implemented by the vendor CrowdStrike. From my experiences CrowdStrike has been a good gatekeeper between their clients and enemy actors who attempt to invade, disrupt, and take down Crowdstrike clients' systems. This makes it just that more sad and unfortunate that they were the ones who allegedly inadvertently caused the worldwide outage due to a single bad software update.

I just got my master's in cybersecurity about a year ago but one of the things that I keep seeing in some of my environments is alleged professionals who for some reason think that it's acceptable to develop code and deploy it without first testing it.

Additionally, there are the companies that don't have a business continuity plan, change control or disaster recovery policies so that if the worse/unthinkable should occur, and an update breaks something or creates a problem, they can roll back their changes to a stable environment before the bad update installation. Many also don't appear to have any redundancies in place and/or backups that can at least put them back in operation even if they lose a few hours of data (or whatever their predetermined acceptable loss threshold is).

I was just telling my manager earlier this week that we need some redundancies put in place, I've had just submitted tickets for hardware and software that will allow us to do just that this past Monday. I was also adamant that our solution not involve Azure or the cloud.

It's being blamed on a bad update implemented by the vendor CrowdStrike. From my experiences CrowdStrike has been a good gatekeeper between their clients and enemy actors who attempt to invade, disrupt, and take down Crowdstrike clients' systems. This makes it just that more sad and unfortunate that they were the ones who allegedly inadvertently caused the worldwide outage due to a single bad software update.

I just got my master's in cybersecurity about a year ago but one of the things that I keep seeing in some of my environments is alleged professionals who for some reason think that it's acceptable to develop code and deploy it without first testing it.

Additionally, there are the companies that don't have a business continuity plan, change control or disaster recovery policies so that if the worse/unthinkable should occur, and an update breaks something or creates a problem, they can roll back their changes to a stable environment before the bad update installation. Many also don't appear to have any redundancies in place and/or backups that can at least put them back in operation even if they lose a few hours of data (or whatever their predetermined acceptable loss threshold is).

I was just telling my manager earlier this week that we need some redundancies put in place I've submitted tickets for hardware and software that will allow us to do just that, this past Monday. I was also adamant that our solution not involve Azure or the cloud.
So....you think the idea of a 'cyber attack's is unlikely in this case?
I'm not going to hold you to any statement or anything like that, and I realize you are fairly new in the field. I ask only to satisfy my own curiosity.

So....you think the idea of a 'cyber attack's is unlikely in this case?
I'm not going to hold you to any statement or anything like that, and I realize you are fairly new in the field. I ask only to satisfy my own curiosity.
No, anything is possible however the news is reporting it as basically the same thing that happened last time the FAA was forced to issue a ground stop - a bad file used to update some system.

And although I just got my masters last year, I've been doing full life-cycle development that involved writing "secure" code, such as it was, without any specific directives or industry best practices back them for more than 3 decades. And we still managed it with exceptions for certain known software, database and other vulnerabilities.

A corrupt file led to the FAA ground stoppage. It was also found in the backup system

3 minute read
Updated 2:53 AM EST, Thu January 12, 2023
Pete Buttigieg asked if FAA system is out-of-date. Hear his reply
03:11
lax.jpg
Video shows what it looked like inside LAX during outage
00:30
Officials are still trying to figure out exactly what led to the Federal Aviation Administration system outage on Wednesday but have traced it to a corrupt file, which was first reported by CNN.
In a statement late Wednesday, the FAA said it was continuing to investigate the outage and “take all needed steps to prevent this kind of disruption from happening again.”
“Our preliminary work has traced the outage to a damaged database file. At this time, there is no evidence of a cyberattack,” the FAA said.
The FAA is still trying to determine whether any one person or “routine entry” into the database is responsible for the corrupted file, a government official familiar with the investigation into the NOTAM system outage told CNN.
Another source familiar with the Federal Aviation Administration operation described exclusively to CNN on Wednesday how the outage played out.
When air traffic control officials realized they had a computer issue late Tuesday, they came up with a plan, the source said, to reboot the system when it would least disrupt air travel, early on Wednesday morning.
But ultimately that plan and the outage led to massive flight delays and an unprecedented order to stop all aircraft departures nationwide.
The computer system that failed was the central database for all NOTAMs (Notice to Air Missions) nationwide. Those notices advise pilots of issues along their route and at their destination. It has a backup, which officials switched to when problems with the main system emerged, according to the source.
What is NOTAM, the FAA computer system that halted all US flights?​

FAA officials told reporters early Wednesday that the issues developed in the 3 p.m. ET hour on Tuesday.
Officials ultimately found a corrupt file in the main NOTAM system, the source told CNN. A corrupt file was also found in the backup system.
In the overnight hours of Tuesday into Wednesday, FAA officials decided to shut down and reboot the main NOTAM system – a significant decision, because the reboot can take about 90 minutes, according to the source.
They decided to perform the reboot early Wednesday, before air traffic began flying on the East Coast, to minimize disruption to flights.
“They thought they’d be ahead of the rush,” the source said.
During this early morning process, the FAA told reporters that the system was “beginning to come back online,” but said it would take time to resolve.

No, anything is possible however the news is reporting it as basically the same thing that happened last time the FAA was forced to issue a ground stop - a bad file used to update some system.

And although I just got my masters last year, I've been doing full life-cycle development that involved writing "secure" code, such as it was, without any specific directives or industry best practices back them for more than 3 decades. And we still managed it with exceptions for certain known software, database and other vulnerabilities.

A corrupt file led to the FAA ground stoppage. It was also found in the backup system

3 minute read
lax.jpg
Officials are still trying to figure out exactly what led to the Federal Aviation Administration system outage on Wednesday but have traced it to a corrupt file, which was first reported by CNN.
In a statement late Wednesday, the FAA said it was continuing to investigate the outage and “take all needed steps to prevent this kind of disruption from happening again.”
“Our preliminary work has traced the outage to a damaged database file. At this time, there is no evidence of a cyberattack,” the FAA said.
The FAA is still trying to determine whether any one person or “routine entry” into the database is responsible for the corrupted file, a government official familiar with the investigation into the NOTAM system outage told CNN.
Another source familiar with the Federal Aviation Administration operation described exclusively to CNN on Wednesday how the outage played out.
When air traffic control officials realized they had a computer issue late Tuesday, they came up with a plan, the source said, to reboot the system when it would least disrupt air travel, early on Wednesday morning.
But ultimately that plan and the outage led to massive flight delays and an unprecedented order to stop all aircraft departures nationwide.
The computer system that failed was the central database for all NOTAMs (Notice to Air Missions) nationwide. Those notices advise pilots of issues along their route and at their destination. It has a backup, which officials switched to when problems with the main system emerged, according to the source.

FAA officials told reporters early Wednesday that the issues developed in the 3 p.m. ET hour on Tuesday.
Officials ultimately found a corrupt file in the main NOTAM system, the source told CNN. A corrupt file was also found in the backup system.
In the overnight hours of Tuesday into Wednesday, FAA officials decided to shut down and reboot the main NOTAM system – a significant decision, because the reboot can take about 90 minutes, according to the source.
They decided to perform the reboot early Wednesday, before air traffic began flying on the East Coast, to minimize disruption to flights.
During this early morning process, the FAA told reporters that the system was “beginning to come back online,” but said it would take time to resolve.
Thanks for your reply. I apologize for not reading correctly that you had just achieved a masters (congrats on that btw), my fault that I assumed you were fairly new when you been at this awhile. Without question your knowledge in this field is beyond what I will ever know.
I do value the answer you kindly provided.

3 minute read
lax.jpg

Must have been a few of those DEI hires.

It’s literally been in the news all day today and no, it was not a cyber attack

Just got done watching a movie about a supercomputer that is trying to take over the world.

We certainly are in a race to make it happen.

Forum List

Back