Democrat Senator Sheldon Whitehouse frustrated at DOJ stonewalling

Seymour Flops

Diamond Member
Nov 25, 2021
Texas
I talked about this on another thread but I can't find it.

The executive branch, more correctly the entrenched bureacracy that is supposed to be subordinate to the executive branch, often invokes a fictional privilege. They don't name it, but it seems to be an unnamed "investigative privilege," whereby if any agency is or might conceivably investigate any matter that congress legitimately has oversight over, that agency or any other agency is then excempt from providing any information to Congress. So is any other agency that knows, or suspects or suspects the possibility of an investigation in the present or future.

As Whitehouse correctly pointed out, giving congress a mere copy of a document does nothing to hinder any investigation. Unfortunately, congress only recourse is a subpoena. If that subpoena is then ignored, the congress must refer the matter for a contempt of congress prosecution.

To guess who?

The Department of Justice. The last time this was done, congress referred Attorney General Eric "Wingman" Holder to the DOJ for prosecution for multiple, ongoing, deliberate refusal to provide information that congress was entitled to. For some reason the justice department - Headed by Wingman himself - decided not to prosecute.

I don't care what your party is, if we let that continue, we don't have a republic. We have a bureaucracy. Not in the sense of too many agencies with too many forms to fill out, but in the literal sense of being governed by unaccountable bureaus.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back