Did Mariano Rivera deserve to be the only unanimous inductee into the hall?

was Rivera worthy of being a unanimous selection?

• Total voters
I say hell no. A few different reasons why I don’t believe he is worthy of his achievement.

A) He failed as a starting pitcher

B) He wasn’t an everyday player

C) baseball didn’t even have closers untill the 1960’s

D) Babe Ruth wasn’t unanimous and he’s the GOAT. Rivera wasn’t the best player of all time. C’mon.

Two things:

Was he deserving to be a first ballot HOF? Yes. Sure he was.
Were others more deserving? Oh heck yeah! I can think of probably 5-10 players where there should be no argument against them getting a HOF vote on the first ballot. And I’m not even that big of a baseball fan.

Conversely, there are many players in the HOF would have zero business being there. Craig Biggio comes to mind.
Up until this week, HOF balloting for elite players was a sham. Two or three voters would intentionally leave a great player off their ballot so he could not be unanimous

I say hell no. A few different reasons why I don’t believe he is worthy of his achievement.

D) Babe Ruth wasn’t unanimous and he’s the GOAT. Rivera wasn’t the best player of all time. C’mon.

Two things:

Were others more deserving? Oh heck yeah! I can think of probably 5-10 players where there should be no argument against them getting a HOF vote on the first ballot. And I’m not even that big of a baseball fan.

Conversely, there are many players in the HOF would have zero business being there. Craig Biggio comes to mind.
Up until this week, HOF balloting for elite players was a sham. Two or three voters would intentionally leave a great player off their ballot so he could not be unanimous

Same principle of not voting for a player because they believe he isn't first ballet. Should every hall of famer be a first ballet hall of famer because they are worthy of the hall?

Rivera got special treatment and the bar has been lowered.

Two things:

Same principle of not voting for a player because they believe he isn't first ballet. Should every hall of famer be a first ballet hall of famer because they are worthy of the hall?

Bar lowered? Maybe in terms of unanimity. Not in terms of deserving. When you see the likes of Mark Grace (who I thought was a very good player) in the Hall, that is when you know the bar has been lowered.

None of that matters. What matters is what Mariano did on the field. He was the greatest closer in the history of baseball. Period. At one time more men walked on the moon than got a hit off him in the playoffs.

He did it using 2 pitches.
He deserves a unanimous vote for the Hall Of Fame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't explain why none of my points matter, you just said they don't matter.

No one can take away what Rivera has done on the field, but he wasn't the best player of all time, so why should he have the distinction of being the only unanimously voted in player?

Ok. He didn’t fail at starting pitching. He was a better closer.

No pitcher is an everyday player.

Mo was the best closer of all time.

It really doesn’t matter how you feel about it.

Last edited:

None of that matters. What matters is what Mariano did on the field. He was the greatest closer in the history of baseball. Period. At one time more men walked on the moon than got a hit off him in the playoffs.

You didn't explain why none of my points matter, you just said they don't matter.

No one can take away what Rivera has done on the field, but he wasn't the best player of all time, so why should he have the distinction of being the only unanimously voted in player?

No he failed as a starting pitcher. He had an ERA of 5.51 as a starter. They found out he had no stamina so they moved him to middle relief, and when he thrived in that role he became the closer.

everyday players are more important than pitchers, and when it comes to pitchers it's - starting pitchers > closers > middle relief

so what if he's the best closer of all time? There were better players than him not voted in unanimously

I know it doesn't matter how I feel about it, nor does it matter how you feel, asshole.

Two things:

Bar lowered? Maybe in terms of unanimity. Not in terms of deserving. When you see the likes of Mark Grace (who I thought was a very good player) in the Hall, that is when you know the bar has been lowered.
no one is saying Rivera doesn't deserve to be in the hall.

No he failed as a starting pitcher. He had an ERA of 5.51 as a starter. They found out he had no stamina so they moved him to middle relief, and when he thrived in that role he became the closer.

everyday players are more important than pitchers, and when it comes to pitchers it's - starting pitchers > closers > middle relief

so what if he's the best closer of all time? There were better players than him not voted in unanimously

I know it doesn't matter how I feel about it, nor does it matter how you feel, asshole.
The best pitchers I ever saw are not in the HOF

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Doc Gooden deserves to be in the hall of very good. 192 w’s 122 L’s , 3.50 ERA

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Nolan Ryan was better than all of those guys.

Nolan Ryan never had a season like those guys put up
Never won a Cy Young, had one 20 win season
8 games shy of losing 300 games

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Most no-hitters of all time though, but you have a point

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Most no-hitters of all time though, but you have a point

Nolan Ryan was an enigma
Probably the most feared pitcher of all time

But Strikeouts are just outs
No hitters are just complete game wins

He never really dominated for a season, he walked a lot of batters
May have had the best “stuff” of all time....but didn’t always use it well

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

These guys are the “best” because for the year or two they were at their best.......there was nobody better

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

These guys are the “best” because for the year or two they were at their best.......there was nobody better

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big Doc Gooden fan, and it’s a shame he never lived up to his potential because of drugs and alcohol. At his peak he was Tyson-esq. The sky was the limit with him and he dominated in the beginning of his career like no other. But I look at the total body of work when considering players worthy of the hall, and unfortunately Doc falls a little short.

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a big Doc Gooden fan, and it’s a shame he never lived up to his potential because of drugs and alcohol. At his peak he was Tyson-esq. The sky was the limit with him and he dominated in the beginning of his career like no other. But I look at the total body of work when considering players worthy of the hall, and unfortunately Doc falls a little short.
So do the others

Closers are vastly overrated.
yeah vastly ,,,only the difference between winning and losing

How can a player that only impacts the game half of one inning be the difference between winning and losing?

He’s a part of wining and losing in the grand scheme of things, but there are positions that are more intricle than closers.

Because once Mariano entered the game,opposing fans could start heading for the exit

Except when playing the Red Sox.

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Nolan Ryan played for some AWFUL teams. In 1987 (age 40!), he had a 2.76 ERA...but went 8-16 for a terrible-hitting Astros team.

yeah vastly ,,,only the difference between winning and losing

How can a player that only impacts the game half of one inning be the difference between winning and losing?

He’s a part of wining and losing in the grand scheme of things, but there are positions that are more intricle than closers.

Because once Mariano entered the game,opposing fans could start heading for the exit

Except when playing the Red Sox.
Mariano owned the Red Sox for most of his career

They got lucky once

Dwight Gooden
Ron Guidry
Fernando Valenzuela
Vida Blue
J R Richards

Nolan Ryan played for some AWFUL teams. In 1987 (age 40!), he had a 2.76 ERA...but went 8-16 for a terrible-hitting Astros team.
20 years of awful teams?

Last edited:
Sandy Koufax was a frat brother of mine at U of Cincy He had a curve ball that looked like it fell off a table and a fast ball that scared the shit out of hitters He was truly one of the great ones Gibson Marashel {sp} spahn a few of the others

Forum List

Back