DNA Testing

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
So I sent off a blood sample to a company that tests your DNA, and this ultimately falls under the heading Epidemiology.

I got back a 29 page report, maybe half of that was specific to me, the rest were generalized explanations and discussion about better health outcomes.

A couple things stood out, though:

1) I tested an "actual age" of 0.97 years younger than my actual age. I didn't consider that very important, but they compare this to the population of my same age and it puts in the 70th percentile, or the top 30% for my age range. I'm guessing here that those with the same DNA age as biological age would be the statisitical middle, but this was not mentioned.

2) Genetic variants. I had two genetic variants, and one is cholesteral related. My last blood work saw my barely in range levels go quite a bit out of range, but this genetic variant (the ApoE gene) is further explained:

The ApoE gene is involved in making a protein that helps carry cholesterol and other types of fat in the bloodstream. Certain genetic variants of the ApoE gene on chromosome 19 are associated with reduced longevity and increased risk of Alzheimers.

Sounds bad, but then there is this:

Other genetic variants of the ApoE gene have been reported as promoting longevity.

So I did some more diggin and there is a correlation between longer lifespans and a higher incidence of LDL chollesterol, the bad one of the two. I had heard this from doctors before, but I can no longer assume this means me. It does not.

It even gives you the genetic code of the SNP (Single Nucleotide Polymorphism) genetic variant of the ApoE gene.

Something to consider doing if you are interested in such things.

My brother did this ... but he's not speaking to us about the results ... I told him these tests weren't all that accurate ... and Scottish, German and Greek DNA are about as identical as to make no difference ...

This is why my doctor is on top of my bad cholesterol I take a sure click shot called repatha twice a month and my LDL level is below 62 milligrams... without repatha it was well over 130....

My brother did this ... but he's not speaking to us about the results ... I told him these tests weren't all that accurate ... and Scottish, German and Greek DNA are about as identical as to make no difference ...
That's a different test, that checks your heritage. This is a DNA test.

As far as the heritage test, my sister and I tested our geneology this way using two different companies, and our results were identical. It seems like an accurate scientific measurement to me.

That's a different test, that checks your heritage. This is a DNA test.

As far as the heritage test, my sister and I tested our geneology this way using two different companies, and our results were identical. It seems like an accurate scientific measurement to me.

There are a tiny few genetic conditions that occur at a single site ... and for these, DNA testing is accurate ... either you have the variant or you don't ... everything else depends on more than one factor, and not necessarily within the DNA ...

"Genetic tests for these multifactorial traits are based on statistical calculations: they are probabilistic and often very tricky to interpret. Height, for example, depends on hundreds of genes, each contributing a little to the outcome, together with a bunch of environmental factors. A test can look at many genes at once, but it’s difficult to predict how they will play together. Then you should also account for non-genetic factors that are not written in the DNA." -- LiveScience -- Nov 9th, 2021 ...

I include the date as this information is old ... ancient ... would make even a conservative cross their legs ...

There are far too many good studies that show that cholesterol isn't the boogieman that they claim it is.

Forum List

Back