Do I Really Have to Spend My Life Savings on Insurance?

KineticBlue

Rookie
Oct 21, 2016
Would appreciate replies from people who have dealt with Medi-Cal, or other state Medicaid programs. In re: how poor you have to be to qualify.

I'm looking to get a better deal on health insurance (I'm unemployed,** currently paying ~$450/mo on the cheapest plan I could find). I am spending the money in my savings account to keep my coverage -- $5400 a year just for insurance!

I am speaking with someone from Medi-Cal on Monday, but I'm guessing that, with more than $10,000 in savings, they're going to tell me that I don't qualify.

It doesn't make sense to me that, conceivably, I will only be able to get lowered insurance rates when I have bankrupted myself over several years by paying standard insurance rates. $5000+ a year is a lot of money for -- well -- nothing.

Is that what they're going to tell me on Monday? That I have to keep spending my savings, $450 / mo , on standard insurance until I have almost no money left?
  • You put in all this money and get a little tiny trickle of it back in an occasional doctor's visit. You just keep paying, hoping that if you have a "major medical incident" that your expenses will be covered.
** Am currently unemployed, with two master's degrees (MEd, and MS in Engineering) no-one will hire me to teach STEM in California schools because with two Master's I'm "at the top of our pay scale" -- so schools keep telling me. They want people with less experience and Bachelor's degrees, that's what schools can afford.

I can't believe that in the USA there would ever be a MANDATE to have health insurance [so called FREE Country] . That being said , sorry , no advice except vote for the TRUMP as he promises to fix things concerning mrobama care KBlue !!

Would appreciate replies from people who have dealt with Medi-Cal, or other state Medicaid programs. In re: how poor you have to be to qualify.

I'm looking to get a better deal on health insurance (I'm unemployed,** currently paying ~$450/mo on the cheapest plan I could find). I am spending the money in my savings account to keep my coverage -- $5400 a year just for insurance!

I am speaking with someone from Medi-Cal on Monday, but I'm guessing that, with more than $10,000 in savings, they're going to tell me that I don't qualify.

It doesn't make sense to me that, conceivably, I will only be able to get lowered insurance rates when I have bankrupted myself over several years by paying standard insurance rates. $5000+ a year is a lot of money for -- well -- nothing.

Is that what they're going to tell me on Monday? That I have to keep spending my savings, $450 / mo , on standard insurance until I have almost no money left?
  • You put in all this money and get a little tiny trickle of it back in an occasional doctor's visit. You just keep paying, hoping that if you have a "major medical incident" that your expenses will be covered.
** Am currently unemployed, with two master's degrees (MEd, and MS in Engineering) no-one will hire me to teach STEM in California schools because with two Master's I'm "at the top of our pay scale" -- so schools keep telling me. They want people with less experience and Bachelor's degrees, that's what schools can afford.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- also , get a job , any job so that you can hold on to your savings KBlue.

Last edited:
You will likely have too much money to qualify for state aid medical care. You have savings. If you have enough money to save, you have too much money.

There are scam artists that will try to sell you schemes that make it look like you have no money while protecting what you do have. A few years ago it was the MediCare Spin Down Trust. Those were totally illegal and still are. All these wealth protection rackets that let you get government aid are illegal scams. Don't fall for any of them.

Just muddle through as best you can.

Yes.

Until you are truly poor you will pay for being a responsible adult.

Obama has ensured that you will either take a job, of some kind, or end up destitute due to the mandates.

Or you can risk not having insurance and pay the heavy fine or not pay it and wait for them to take it from you.

can you move your money in to an IRA or two, traditional and Roth to the max, BEFORE you talk to the person from medicaid? they can't force you to use any funds in retirement accounts...

ALSO, Don't worry.... since you have no income, and only savings pretty much, to live off of... you can get an EXEMPTION and do not have to buy health care insurance....you will not be charged a penalty for not having insurance and meeting the mandate.

google it.... maybe use the term, '' health care insurance mandate exemptions...''

Go here Health coverage exemptions, forms, and how to apply

Last edited:
I can't believe that in the USA there would ever be a MANDATE to have health insurance [so called FREE Country] . That being said , sorry , no advice except vote for the TRUMP as he promises to fix things concerning mrobama care KBlue !!

Republicans fucked it up.

can you move your money in to an IRA or two, traditional and Roth to the max, BEFORE you talk to the person from medicaid? they can't force you to use any funds in retirement accounts...

ALSO, Don't worry.... since you have no income, and only savings pretty much, to live off of... you can get an EXEMPTION and do not have to buy health care insurance....you will not be charged a penalty for not having insurance and meeting the mandate.

google it.... maybe use the term, '' health care insurance mandate exemptions...''

Go here Health coverage exemptions, forms, and how to apply
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- just get the health insurance that you have been ORDERED and Mandated to get , do as you are told by your bosses and overlords , king and tyrants KBlue !!

Stop your bitching, you get what you diverse, what you voted for. When you have a National single payer system you had better not get sick.

IF his story is TRUE, and he is unemployed and has no to little income, coming in...

He does not have to buy Health care insurance, the mandate means nothing, he can get an exemption...and is free and clear, with no penalty, to go without Health care insurance...

His ignorance has caused his grief of spending the $450 a month on healthcare while unemployed, NOT the ACA itself....

There are plenty of problems with Obamacare that needs fixing or eliminating, but his beef, is not one of them....there are already exemptions on the mandate in the Act that he can utilize.

IF his story is TRUE, and he is unemployed and has no to little income, coming in...

He does not have to buy Health care insurance, the mandate means nothing, he can get an exemption...and is free and clear, with no penalty, to go without Health care insurance...

His ignorance has caused his grief of spending the $450 a month on healthcare while unemployed, NOT the ACA itself....

There are plenty of problems with Obamacare that needs fixing or eliminating, but his beef, is not one of them....there are already exemptions on the mandate in the Act that he can utilize.
your missing the point

he should not have to get an exemption

this is supposed to be a free country, not that you want it to be one, but that is what it was meant to be

your missing the point

this is supposed to be a free country, not that you want it to be one, but that is what it was meant to be
When was it ever this ''free country''? Not in my lifetime.... :(

your missing the point

so supporting taking away more freedom is ok.....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- if 'care4' is correct there are all sorts of ways for the common SERF to get out of buying mrobamacare KBlue . I would take her advice as you wait for FREEDOM to return to the USA by electing the TRUMP who says that he will fix mrobamas anti american obamacare mandates KBlue !!

your missing the point

"When was it ever this ''free country''? Not in my lifetime.."

You're only seven years old??????

Last edited:

Forum List

Back