Do Robots have gender?

HenryBHough

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Oak Grove, Massachusetts
The recent alleged passing of The Turing Test has raised questions of its own. The test is an academic exercise of robotic intelligence to determine whether a high enough percentage of humans on a panel cannot discern whether that which is answering their questions is human or robot.

Some of the answers to test questions have raised questions of their own about whether robots can be thought of as having gender and, indeed, whether some can be homophobic:

Is the artificial intelligence bot that beat the Turing Test homophobic? · PinkNews.co.uk

The robot has a name: "Eugene Goostman has made the news recently, as he apparently became the first artificial intelligence to pass the Turing Test."

"When asked whether “he likes boys or girls”, Eugene sometimes responds “I am straight, not fag.”

Uh, oh.....a touch of the homophobe there?

"Among the responses given by the AI to the statement “I am gay”, were “relax, I am tolerant to gays”, and another, he says “If you don’t molest me, it doesn’t matter.”

At times he/she/it though the first name, "Eugene" does suggest at least a pretend maile (the question grows....) is ambivalent:

"If you tell him you’re straight he says: “Ummm. You’re straight? Very interesting. Well, let’s go on though.”
When told “I am transgender”, he says: “Fabulous!”

Ah well, it is, after all, not real but is its pseudo-parent teaching it some kind of -ism? This seems to be one case where we can definitely rule out any genetic links.

Last edited:
Before a robot can have gender it must have biology. Can't make little robotettes without biology.

I'm still offended by telephone robots using personal pronouns ("I didn't get that" ... "I see you're calling from..."). They got no damn right.

The march of gay insanity continues on.

Gays once demanded that Jim Henson ' s studio bring Bert and Erie out as gay lovers. The studio said they were puppets and did not have a gender. Before that gays had to be slapped down over the teletubbies. They are cartoons. Ink on paper has no gender.

Now it's robots. Where is the demand that I ROBOT floor sweepers come out as gay?

Of course they have genders--didn't you see Bender fall in love with the soda machine?

The recent alleged passing of The Turing Test has raised questions of its own. The test is an academic exercise of robotic intelligence to determine whether a high enough percentage of humans on a panel cannot discern whether that which is answering their questions is human or robot.

Some of the answers to test questions have raised questions of their own about whether robots can be thought of as having gender and, indeed, whether some can be homophobic:

Is the artificial intelligence bot that beat the Turing Test homophobic? · PinkNews.co.uk

The robot has a name: "Eugene Goostman has made the news recently, as he apparently became the first artificial intelligence to pass the Turing Test."

"When asked whether “he likes boys or girls”, Eugene sometimes responds “I am straight, not fag.”

"Among the responses given by the AI to the statement “I am gay”, were “relax, I am tolerant to gays”, and another, he says “If you don’t molest me, it doesn’t matter.”

At times he/she/it though the first name, "Eugene" does suggest at least a pretend maile (the question grows....) is ambivalent:

"If you tell him you’re straight he says: “Ummm. You’re straight? Very interesting. Well, let’s go on though.”

Ah well, it is, after all, not real but is its pseudo-parent teaching it some kind of -ism? This seems to be one case where we can definitely rule out any genetic links.

Link: Eugene Goostman - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's not a robot, it's a "chatterbot"

Link: Chatterbot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A chatter robot, chatterbot, chatbot, or chat bot is a computer program designed to simulate an intelligent conversation with one or more human users via auditory or textual methods, primarily for engaging in small talk.

That particular chatterbot was designed to imitate a 13-year-old boy on the internet.

If gender is defined not as a physical trait but as a social norm to which one adheres(making gender and sex not synonymous), the chatterbot may attempt to imitate expected responses of someone adhering to a social norm.

The machine doesn't think. It just runs down a list of likely responses and returns the most likely response as did Family Feud ("Survey says..."). Using that really simple algorithm the machine can imitate a person on the internet. That's how predictable we have all become.

Not yet, but eventually as the AI gets better, gender will either present itself or be created because humans want robots to look and act like them.

Well this robot is clearly confused as it can neither be heterosexual OR homosexual.

But there were clearly a few hateful conservatives involved in this project as they taught a robot to consider itself not a fag despite it being impossible for it to fit ANY type of sexuality.

A robot might be programmed to give responses that reflect homosexuality but a robot cannot really be a homosexual or a heterosexual for that matter.

According to the World Health Organization

What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

Sometimes it is hard to understand exactly what is meant by the term "gender", and how it differs from the closely related term "sex".

"Sex" refers to the biological and physiological characteristics that define men and women.

"Gender" refers to the socially constructed roles, behaviors, activities, and attributes that a given society considers appropriate for men and women.

WHO | What do we mean by "sex" and "gender"?

Before a robot can have gender it must have biology. Can't make little robotettes without biology.

I'm still offended by telephone robots using personal pronouns ("I didn't get that" ... "I see you're calling from..."). They got no damn right.

To have a sex you must have biology, gender is almost entirely socially constructed with some biological influence and could definitely be programmed into an AI.

To have a sex you must have biology, gender is almost entirely socially constructed with some biological influence and could definitely be programmed into an AI.

Gender is fundamentally biological, it is after all how the species continues itself. How the genders behave and interact is where society rears its ugly head.

Not yet, but eventually as the AI gets better, gender will either present itself or be created because humans want robots to look and act like them.

It will be interesting to see if conservatives hate homosexual robots too despite them not being able to engage in homosexual activity.

Conservolibtards can hate anything they choose to decide to hate. It need not be alive to generate hatred. Your response is marginally addressing the OP (unlike your first response which I deleted), not particularly informative, and bigoted like most extremist POV's.

[MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION]

Alleged is right. The guy who declared that it had passed the test is apparently something of a sensationalist. He likes attention.

A machine may not be able to have an actual gender, but it can be programmed to simulate a gender just like it is programmed to simulate every other aspect of its supposed intelligence. Until a machine makes the leap to actual intelligence (not something I anticipate happening for a VERY long time) the question of whether a machine can be bigoted is really just a question of whether its programming can be bigoted. The answer to that is of course yes. The ideas promoted by its programmer(s) and/or "intelligence sources" are of course going to affect its "behavior."

The next question: is that very different from humans? We all learn things from those around us. Parents, siblings, neighbors, friends, all have an influence on our behavior. We also learn things from our own "intelligence sources" like books we read, shows we watch, places we visit etc. Humans are eventually held responsible for their own words and actions. At what point do you hold a machine responsible instead of its creator(s)?

Wouldn't a robot have whatever is assigned to it?

So if you dress it up as a female maid to clean the house, and it speaks in a female voice,
like Rosie on the Jetson's, it is designed to "represent" a female.

If you want to keep it neutral, or make it represent one personality or another,
that depends on the programming.

If it is neutral, and people start "interpreting" gender or other bias,
that is more a study of social perception in the PEOPLE reacting this way.

I don't see how you can prove that is traced back to the actual Robot/AI.

Maybe have the Robot take tests like a questionnaire,
and ask the Robot to "self-determine" if it perceives itself as male or female.

Or 50 other categories on facebook, for that matter....

The Turing test is garbage. It really does not indicate anything considering that a complex enough table or questions/answers essentially passes the so called test.

who really cares if something passed the test. Tell me when robots are capable of independant and intuitive thought.

The Turing test is garbage. It really does not indicate anything considering that a complex enough table or questions/answers essentially passes the so called test.

who really cares if something passed the test. Tell me when robots are capable of independant and intuitive thought.
I honestly don't know why the Turing Test has gotten so much attention over the years. It really is a stupid test.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back