Does anyone invest in Bitcoin?

For those that are still interested....

Bitcoin sitting @ just over 4k right now on implementation of segwit scaling solution. Tech analysts expect a pullback to 3600 then a bounce

Buy Bitcoin at $3,600 Floor: CNBC

Bitcoin will see trading begin on the CBOE later this year also.

Ethereum is also updating it's code end of September and is up 10% on that news, now sitting @ 320 or so, after running sideways for some time. Price targets there are 500+ over the next 90 days or so.

In terms of broader developments for ethereum, see this article. Worth a couple of minutes.....

https://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/what-i-learned-at-the-ethereum-conference/8837

Digital ponzi scheme based nothing fungible. ..... :eusa_hand:

that's one point of view. and I'm sure a lot of people would agree.

but the 150+ companies that comprise the Enterprise Etherium Alliance, such as Microsoft, Intel, BP, JP Morgan, Cisco and others would likely disagree with that point of view.

Members - Enterprise Ethereum Alliance

Something very big is happening here that has broad based implications across major market sectors

Whether or not one person thinks so or takes the time to investigate it is up to them I suppose....

I heard Bitcoin was a big pyramid scheme Scam.1 and that they can crash at any moment.:badgrin:

me too. been hearing it since I was buying it @ 300.00 and mining the hell out of it for years. heard all sorts of crazy crap about it, 99.9% of which was utter nonsense. My friends been laughing at me for years, so nothing anyone says bothers me at this point. I've heard it all.

and yes, it does have high volatility, so we can see some pretty good price swings.

price crashes do occur, however, each and every time thus far the price has recovered to a new all time high.

Price crashes = Buying opportunities.

it's up over 4K and likely heading for 5K and beyond, according to Wall St. analysts.

Wall St. is well beyond the point of waking up and is looking for a way in to list it, which will happen beginning this fall on the CBOE, so I'll hang onto mine.

Ethereum is a different animal altogether. That is no pyramid scheme. That is an absolute monster in the making, IMO.

Last edited:
For those that are still interested....

Bitcoin sitting @ just over 4k right now on implementation of segwit scaling solution. Tech analysts expect a pullback to 3600 then a bounce

Buy Bitcoin at $3,600 Floor: CNBC

Bitcoin will see trading begin on the CBOE later this year also.

Ethereum is also updating it's code end of September and is up 10% on that news, now sitting @ 320 or so, after running sideways for some time. Price targets there are 500+ over the next 90 days or so.

In terms of broader developments for ethereum, see this article. Worth a couple of minutes.....

What I Learned at the Ethereum Conference

replying to my own post here because it did pullback almost exactly to that 3600 level and then turned around and is headed back up....

Mark Cuban, a former huge Bitcoin skeptic is hoppin' on the train. And he's right as rain when when he indicates that blockchain will be used in many markets in the not too distant future. That's Ethereum and other blockchain techs that go beyond just a transfer of value he's talking about there, whether he knows it or not....

Mark Cuban backs new $20 million cryptocurrency venture fund

"

Mark Cuban backs new $20 million cryptocurrency venture fund 23 Hours Ago | 00:57

Onetime bitcoin skeptic Mark Cuban is warming to the digital currency world.

The billionaire is backing a new venture capital fund for cryptocurrency-related investments called 1confirmation. Founded by Nick Tomaino, former business development manager at Coinbase, the fund plans to raise $20 million, according to a Monday filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission.

"It's an interesting space that I [want] to get involved with and learn more" about, Cuban said in an email to CNBC Tuesday. He did not specify the size of his investment.

Cuban's opinion on digital currencies has changed fairly recently. In an Aug. 14 tweet, the Dallas Mavericks owner admitted he "might have to finally buy some" bitcoin, contrasting with a June tweet that said he thought bitcoin was in a "bubble."

"Bias should be up because of finite supply. Until crypto or US politics intrude, and they will," he added in another tweet on Aug. 14.

Follow
Mark Cuban

✔@mcuban

I might have to rewrite all these replacing stocks with $btc. Might have to finally buy some http://blogmaverick.com/2008/09/08/talking-stocks-and-money/ …

4:53 PM - Aug 14, 2017
Follow
Mark Cuban

✔@mcuban

Yes. It goes up,It goes down based on demand. Bias should be up because of finite supply. Until crypto or US politics intrude, and they will https://twitter.com/andrewnolan2/status/897214851759693824 …

5:05 PM - Aug 14, 2017

In late June, Cuban said he planned to participate in an initial coin offering by Unikrn, an online esports betting site in which he holds a stake.

Earlier that month, Cuban tweeted that he didn't know when or by how much the price of bitcoin, which has soared in value this year, would correct. He did acknowledge then that the blockchain technology backing bitcoin had value and that it "will be at the core of most transactions in the future. Healthcare, finance etc all will use it."

IBM announced Tuesday that it will work with major food companies such as Wal-Mart, Unilever, Tyson Foods, Dole and Kroger to "identify new areas where the global supply chain can benefit from blockchain."

However, bitcoin's surge and a rush of funds into initial coin offerings have attracted more investment attention.

Bitcoin has quadrupled in value this year and hit a record last Thursday of $4,522.13 with a market capitalization of about $74 billion, according to CoinDesk. Initial coin offerings, which are fundraising events used by cryptocurrency-related start-ups, have raised $1.37 billion so far this year, CoinDesk data showed.

"

Blockchain is useful, bitcoin is a bubble.

blockchain is very useful yes.

Bitcoin may be in a bubble. It very definitely was in a bubble in 2013, which popped of course. Whether or not it is a second bubble right now I think is questionable. Obviously I doubt it or I'd be dumping mine.

But, yes, you could be right. We could be entering a second bubble for bitcoin. I doubt that we are anywhere near the actual peak of the bubble if it is a bubble, as the doors are only just now starting to swing open for the big institutional money, which is why I'm holding mine.

BTC could totally crash, and while that would suck for me, (and, FTR, I doubt it does and stays down), most of my investment portfolio in this space was moved from BTC to Ethereum several months ago when I saw that the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance forming.

I'm not buying BTC at this point as I think Ethereum and other cryptos have a higher % return potential. I still hold it and trade it, but I haven't paid cash for bitcoin in years. That said, I'd buy BTC before I'd buy a conventional stock right now. The returns are ridiculous. I've got my 401K for those staid and true investments. This is the fun high risk/high return potential stuff...

Bitcoin may be in a bubble. It very definitely was in a bubble in 2013, which popped of course. Whether or not it is a second bubble right now I think is questionable. Obviously I doubt it or I'd be dumping mine.

But, yes, you could be right. We could be entering a second bubble for bitcoin. I doubt that we are anywhere near the actual peak of the bubble if it is a bubble, as the doors are only just now starting to swing open for the big institutional money, which is why I'm holding mine.

BTC could totally crash, and while that would suck for me, (and, FTR, I doubt it does and stays down), most of my investment portfolio in this space was moved from BTC to Ethereum several months ago when I saw that the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance forming.

I'm not buying BTC at this point as I think Ethereum and other cryptos have a higher % return potential. I still hold it and trade it, but I haven't paid cash for bitcoin in years. That said, I'd buy BTC before I'd buy a conventional stock right now. The returns are ridiculous. I've got my 401K for those staid and true investments. This is the fun high risk/high return potential stuff...

I'm not buying BTC at this point as I think Ethereum and other cryptos have a higher % return potential.

Buying a currency for a "return" rather than to use it as a currency is why it's a bubble, not a currency.

I'm not buying BTC at this point as I think Ethereum and other cryptos have a higher % return potential.

Buying a currency for a "return" rather than to use it as a currency is why it's a bubble, not a currency.

Ethereum is not a currency. Was never meant to be one. Has completely different uses.

it can be used as one of course, but the smart contracts element is what makes it what it is.

Ethereum is not a currency. Was never meant to be one. Has completely different uses.

it can be used as one of course, but the smart contracts element is what makes it what it is.

Ethereum is not a currency.

upload_2017-8-23_13-40-33.png

Ethereum Price - CoinDesk

Sure.

View attachment 145630

Sure.

and that proves what exactly, that it has a price?

Given that I've discussed the price of ethereum several times in this thread, which is about investing, I think we can conclude that I was aware, as are most people, that there is a price per token.

as I've already stated, although for some odd reason you chose not to bold and pull that part of my post: "it can be used as one of course, but the smart contracts element is what makes it what it is."

a simple google for 'what is ethereum' will give you more information.

View attachment 145630

Sure.

Given that I've discussed the price of ethereum several times in this thread, which is about investing, I think we can conclude that I was aware, as are most people, that there is a price per token.

as I've already stated, although for some odd reason you chose not to bold and pull that part of my post: "it can be used as one of course, but the smart contracts element is what makes it what it is."

Given that I've discussed the price of ethereum several times in this thread, which is about investing,

Investing, not speculation? Do you think there is a difference?

View attachment 145630

Sure.

Given that I've discussed the price of ethereum several times in this thread, which is about investing,

Sure there is. As a lot of people are coming to realize, yourself included, blockchain has value. At this point in time the primary means of investing in that future technology for most people is via vehicles such as Ethereum which will use this technology for various real world purposes.

now we could say "aha!, but this is very risky, and therefore speculation" to which I will make 2 points.

1. I've been clear that this is my high risk portion of my overall investments. So call it speculation if you want. Personally either tag (investment or speculation) is fine with me, unless you really to split hairs about it for whatever reason.

2. This particular investment is also being made by members of the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, which is comprised of 150+ member companies contributing their resources to this technology. As I've pointed out previously here, that group is comprised of some pretty big dogs. BP, Cisco, Intel, Microsoft, JP Morgan, Mastercard and many, many others.

We could say they are speculating too, I suppose, but how they've assessed their risk/return calculations as relating to this I don't know. What I do know is that for myself as an investor that backing has greatly impacted my assessment of the potential risk as related to Ethereum specifically, relative to some other cryptos which bring nothing new to the party and have no such backing. So, while I can see how some people can point to a lot of these others (commonly referred as shitcoins) and slap the speculative tab on them (and rightly so), my assessment of the risk here is well within limits I'm comfortable with.

Point being, there are various levels of risk even within the crypto space and, IMO, this is one of the safer bets out there at the moment.

View attachment 145630

Sure.

Sure there is. As a lot of people are coming to realize, yourself included, blockchain has value. At this point in time the primary means of investing in that future technology for most people is via vehicles such as Ethereum which will use this technology for various real world purposes.

now we could say "aha!, but this is very risky, and therefore speculation" to which I will make 2 points.

1. I've been clear that this is my high risk portion of my overall investments. So call it speculation if you want. Personally either tag (investment or speculation) is fine with me, unless you really to split hairs about it for whatever reason.

2. This particular investment is also being made by members of the Enterprise Ethereum Alliance, which is comprised of 150+ member companies contributing their resources to this technology. As I've pointed out previously here, that group is comprised of some pretty big dogs. BP, Cisco, Intel, Microsoft, JP Morgan, Mastercard and many, many others.

We could say they are speculating too, I suppose, but how they've assessed their risk/return calculations as relating to this I don't know. What I do know is that for myself as an investor that backing has greatly impacted my assessment of the potential risk as related to Ethereum specifically, relative to some other cryptos which bring nothing new to the party and have no such backing. So, while I can see how some people can point to a lot of these others (commonly referred as shitcoins) and slap the speculative tab on them (and rightly so), my assessment of the risk here is well within limits I'm comfortable with.

Point being, there are various levels of risk even within the crypto space and, IMO, this is one of the safer bets out there at the moment.

As a lot of people are coming to realize, yourself included, blockchain has value.

Blockchain has value.
No need to buy into a chain letter to see that.

View attachment 145630

Sure.

As a lot of people are coming to realize, yourself included, blockchain has value.

Blockchain has value.
No need to buy into a chain letter to see that.

True but if you want to tap into that potential value via investment (or speculation) you have to shove some money into the pot. It is by buying these sorts of tokens that people can do that relatively easily.

It's a weird thing, I know. It's new, it's unproven in some ways, there were a lot of problems with bitcoin, and really still are in terms of people stealing them, fraud etc.- and I know people are not used to the idea because, well, it's new; and also I find because they don't understand how it works or what it can do, and without understanding what it does in even a general sense there's no way to see the potential for either the tech in general or how to profit from it. But that is the way of all things that break new ground, I think.

I still hold some bitcoin. I have a ton of ethereum. I also have a couple of other weird "coins/tokens" that I think serve a purpose beyond just a transfer of value, but those are minor, in the couple thousand dollar range.

This market has been very good to me. I still think there's a lot of growth here, as this is just starting to really move, IMO, but I know full well it's not for everyone..

I heard Bitcoin was a big pyramid scheme Scam.1 and that they can crash at any moment.:badgrin:

me too. been hearing it since I was buying it @ 300.00 and mining the hell out of it for years. heard all sorts of crazy crap about it, 99.9% of which was utter nonsense. My friends been laughing at me for years, so nothing anyone says bothers me at this point. I've heard it all.

and yes, it does have high volatility, so we can see some pretty good price swings.

price crashes do occur, however, each and every time thus far the price has recovered to a new all time high.

Price crashes = Buying opportunities.

it's up over 4K and likely heading for 5K and beyond, according to Wall St. analysts.

Wall St. is well beyond the point of waking up and is looking for a way in to list it, which will happen beginning this fall on the CBOE, so I'll hang onto mine.

Ethereum is a different animal altogether. That is no pyramid scheme. That is an absolute monster in the making, IMO.
I would not invest in any internet currency. If it looks like a scam, feels like a scam.Then it is a scam. Its a pyramid scheme.

Forum List

Back