Does everyone remember their very first job?

Votto

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2012
1663701488274.png

First job was 1964 in a place called "Mr. Jimz Fried Chicken" and it was in some western suburb of Chicago, I don't remember where.

He kept a loaded Mauser C96 "broomhandle" pistol under the counter, and I got to fingerfuck it when he was gone. Kinda like this one...

1663701772666.png

Not sure what really came first. My dad and uncle were union janitors who worked every building on the four corners or 79th and Ashland in Chicago. I worked my uncle's job when he went on vacation, very good pay. At the age of 16 a tenant in my building got me a gig one night after school working a yard job for the railroad. I went to school the next day a slept a lot. Naturally, I was told to not come back again until I turned 18. My dad was able to retire in his early 50's because of his work. I am ashamed to say that being a janitor (well paid) embarrassed me at the time.

Burger King in 1998 on Rt 28 in Somerville, MA :)

I quit after six weeks because the managers were c words

Paperboy was my first job. An ancient guy my father delivered the paper for still ran a newsstand downtown. I'd get up every morning, ride my bike downtown, pick up the hundred and fifty or so newspapers at the stand and deliver them before school—rain or shine or snow. On rainy days I'd roll and stuff each newspaper into a plastic sleeve before delivering them. From sixth through ninth grades my hands perpetually smelled like newsprint. Once a month I'd go around and collect subscription fees from all my delivery people. I think I made like $60-70 dollars per month.

"Unofficial" job... mowing yards and shoveling snow way-way back in the mid 70s.
First "official" job was a paperboy in 1977.

Babysitting was my first job, at around 11 yrs old....

My first paycheck job was a five and ten type store called W.T. GRANTS....I made keys- duplicates and custom sized shades and kept their huge candy section stocked! 10 cents each or 3 candy bars for a quarter.... and that was back when candy bars were huge! I was 15....almost 16.....I lied and told them I had working papers, to work at 15 and stalled and put off bringing them in for them, until I was 16, then I was of legal age with few restrictions of hours!

I worked weekends and after school!

I loved the job, because I loved making steady money, to buy clothes, to go to movies, and eat out with friends after high school football games.....and I was saving up for a car!!!!

Last edited:
My very first job was working in a small-town library. It's the same town I moved back to a little over 12 years ago.
I worked in the school library from fifth to ninth grade.

My first paid job was at age 8. I swept floors and dusted and arranged shelves in a small fabric store, and got paid a quarter a day and enough yardage for a garment. My grandma sewed a lot of pajamas for me from that yardage.

The first time I worked for money, I was seven and had a reel lawn mower. The gent asked me "how much" and I told him a nickel a strip. After struggling through high grass for two strips, he came out and gave me a dime and told me that's good. LOL. I sold GRIT newspaper for a couple years as a teen, but my first job for SS wages was as a busboy in a downtown restaurant in Phoenix, AZ.

Chain man on a survey crew in the mid seventies. First project was lay out and topo survey if Candlewood. A huge 1500 unit subdivision.

I was a waitress in a diner on New Montgomery Street in San Francisco. It was owned by two lesbians. I was told when I got married that would be my last day.

Forum List

Back