Does excessive cell-phone use lead to early dementia?

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
No, I'm not talking about microwaves or other external factors causing physical brain damage. Instead, I am talking about the constant interruption of higher order thinking stemming from cell-phone addiction. I find that most younger adults have become so attentive to their cell-phone messages that they can barely maintain a coherent thought or conversation. Instead, they merely blurt out catchy phrases and then move on to the next subject that catches their brief attention.

This seems akin to short-term memory loss , wherein new information fails to become embedded in the memory portions of the brain. As a result, there is very little progression in one's cognitive abilities. I have noticed this tendency on this site, where fewer and fewer people are able to put a complete sentence together, much less construct a coherent paragraph. Have you noticed this as well?

P.S. Please spare the catchy one-line responses.

I notice many young people seem awkward and glued to phones in larger family social gatherings and as a whole tend to avoid eye contact.
Just a personal observation.

I pray my cell phone beeps or rings to save me every time my old as dirt neighbor is ranting and raving about young people, politicians, and whatever else has caught his attention that day.

I think it's more a case that the kids know everything and there's no more room in their brains for new information (been there, done that). :(

Forum List

Back