DOJ Appeals Trump Judges Special Master Ruling

Most of the legal commentators I heard speak following the ruling said they'd be surprised if it wasn't appealed. What's really unfortunate is how the appeal will be handicapped according to the make-up of the appellate court. I believe Trump has 5 appointees on a 11 member court. Could be wrong about that. Still, Cannon's decision was so egregiously wrong overturning the ruling should be a slam dunk.
1. Democrat judges are partisan. Republican judges follow the law. It shouldn't matter who appointed the judge. You're whining that 5 of 11 judges is skewed to Trump?? You aren't a math major are you?

2. So if Cannon's decision is upheld on appeal, you'll apologize to Cannon in a post?

I'm 100% sure you watched non-ideological commentators.
Well I did, I also watched ideological commentators... VERY ideological commentators.

Barr about 10 seconds in.

-Cannon decided without precedent I'm aware of that she had the right to enjoin in a civil matter the government in the criminal matter of Trump's document stash
-She decided that an injunction that is supposed to have a reasonable chance to succeed in the case of Trump should be executed even if the chances of succeeding were "unlikely"
-She decided that Trump is allowed to attempt to prevent the government from looking at their own documents.
-She decided that a special master should be able to cut out not just documents shielded by attorney-client privilege but also by executive privilege. Without even establishing the parameters for what executive privilege means in this context.
-She decided that irreparable harm is inflicted by the mere threat of an indictment as opposed to the usual standard. An actual indictment.

As a justification for all those things, she came up with some pretty strained arguments that seem to only be applicable to the person Trump.

Namely that somehow his position as a former president makes his reputation somehow more important than that of regular people. And that his previous position somehow makes the presumption of fairness somehow more applicable.

I count at least five actions she took in order to come to her ruling that are rare to unheard of. And the justification for it is pure favoritism without any link to what the law actually states.

Last edited:
Even ideological commentators agree this ruling is ridiculous.
So post who these ideological commentators are, and why they think the ruling is ridiculous.
On my side I have Harvard law Professor Dershowitz, who said the special master is essential because we can't trust the DOJ, and Jonathan Turley, Georgetown Law Professor, who said the DOJ overplayed their hand.
In another defeat for the Justice Department, a federal court has ordered not just the appointment of a Special Master but halted the use of the seized Mar-a-Lago documents by prosecutors until the legal status of these documents is established (The ongoing intelligence security review of classified material can continue). As with the compelled release of a redacted affidavit, the Justice Department seriously overplayed its hand (as it did in earlier filings) in claiming that an appointment would undermine national security and making extreme, unestablished legal arguments. The ruling by U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon will not necessarily change the ultimate trajectory of the case but it will force critical reviews and rulings on issues from attorney-client privilege to executive privilege.

1. Democrat judges are partisan. Republican judges follow the law. It shouldn't matter who appointed the judge. You're whining that 5 of 11 judges is skewed to Trump?? You aren't a math major are you?

2. So if Cannon's decision is upheld on appeal, you'll apologize to Cannon in a post?
She was wrong. The 11th circuit has 7 Republican and 4 Democratic judges. 6 of those 7 are actually Trump appointees.
So if Cannon's decision is upheld on appeal, you'll apologize to Cannon in a post?
I will. As long as you state she was wrong if the appeal is granted?

So post who these ideological commentators are, and why they think the ruling is ridiculous.
On my side I have Harvard law Professor Dershowitz, who said the special master is essential because we can't trust the DOJ, and Jonathan Turley, Georgetown Law Professor, who said the DOJ overplayed their hand.
In another defeat for the Justice Department, a federal court has ordered not just the appointment of a Special Master but halted the use of the seized Mar-a-Lago documents by prosecutors until the legal status of these documents is established (The ongoing intelligence security review of classified material can continue). As with the compelled release of a redacted affidavit, the Justice Department seriously overplayed its hand (as it did in earlier filings) in claiming that an appointment would undermine national security and making extreme, unestablished legal arguments. The ruling by U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon will not necessarily change the ultimate trajectory of the case but it will force critical reviews and rulings on issues from attorney-client privilege to executive privilege.
Anything the brings truth and motive to light is so dangerous to national security that it must be hidden
Lib 101

She was wrong. The 11th circuit has 7 Republican and 4 Democratic judges. 6 of those 7 are actually Trump appointees.
I will. As long as you state she was wrong if the appeal is granted?
I will apologize if the total appeal process proves Cannon was wrong.
I don't know how many times Trump could appeal.

The raid was to obtain documents Trump has on Biden.
Neither the info he has NOR the reason for the raid can be permitted to be brought to light.
Bullshit!

It has already been brought to light.

We know why his stolen documents had to be seized.

MAGAts are never going to understanf it though scurrying around in the information darkness like cockroaches.

Bullshit!

It has already been brought to light.

We know why his stolen documents had to be seized.

MAGAts are never going to understanf it though scurrying around in the information darkness like cockroaches.
Lots of words unrelated to the topic and my response

I did both in post 23.

Well I did, I also watched ideological commentators... VERY ideological commentators.

Barr about 10 seconds in.

-Cannon decided without precedent I'm aware of that she had the right to enjoin in a civil matter the government in the criminal matter of Trump's document stash
-She decided that an injunction that is supposed to have a reasonable chance to succeed in the case of Trump should be executed even if the chances of succeeding were "unlikely"
-She decided that Trump is allowed to attempt to prevent the government from looking at their own documents.
-She decided that a special master should be able to cut out not just documents shielded by attorney-client privilege but also by executive privilege. Without even establishing the parameters for what executive privilege means in this context.
-She decided that irreparable harm is inflicted by the mere threat of an indictment as opposed to the usual standard. An actual indictment.

As a justification for all those things, she came up with some pretty strained arguments that seem to only be applicable to the person Trump.

Namely that somehow his position as a former president makes his reputation somehow more important than that of regular people. And that his previous position somehow makes the presumption of fairness somehow more applicable.

I count at least five actions she took in order to come to her ruling that are rare to unheard of. And the justification for it is pure favoritism without any link to what the law actually states.

You are mistaken if you think I take CNN, MSNBC or Fox as the last word.

You are mistaken if you think I take CNN, MSNBC or Fox as the last word.
Who said they do? You asked the question if our opinions are based solely on looking at legal commentators of our ideology. I responded with the legal opinion of in my view the most politically motivated Republican AG in Modern History.

You asked a direct question. I provided a direct answer.

Who said they do? You asked the question if our opinions are based solely on looking at legal commentators of our ideology. I responded with the legal opinion of in my view the most politically motivated Republican AG in Modern History.

You asked a direct question. I provided a direct answer.
I don’t resent Barr for not wanting to lose his career.

Forum List

Back