Donald Trump Is a Threat to Democracy, and Saying So Is Not Incitement

"Donald Trump is a threat to democracy. That was true before an assassination attempt was foiled at his golf course Sunday, and it remains true after. Political violence in general, and assassinating presidential candidates specifically, also poses risks to democracy.

There is no contradiction between these ideas whatsoever. Yet Trump’s supporters have responded to both attempts on his life by muddying the waters, exploiting the near-tragedies with cynical efforts to redefine critiques of Trump’s authoritarian inclinations as violent provocation.
[…]
There is a more serious conceptual problem with the argument that denouncing Trump as a threat to democracy inspired violence: It ignores the truth or falsity of the matter. Taken at face value, the argument implies that we cannot say a presidential candidate threatens democracy even if he plainly does. A party could nominate a candidate who openly promises to end elections and imprison all his critics, and the opposing party would be prevented from describing this candidate as a threat to democracy for fear of inspiring assassination attempts...”

Republicans need to stop lying that appropriate, factual, warranted criticism of Trump is somehow ‘inciting’ violence against Trump.
If Democrats could convince people their cause is the right way ahead using facts, logic, and reason, you wouldn't have to resort to fear-mongering and violence.

4e63f55a3c77cc6090efa52bf6db2812.jpg

He tried to be, unfortunately for him America was tired of the swamp and voted his ass out.
/—-/ That’s not how the Swamp works, Dummy.
In political terms, the "swamp" refers to a metaphorical representation of Washington's political environment, often associated with corruption, special interests, and long-standing politicians. The phrase "drain the swamp" is used to signify the removal of harmful elements like corruption and government waste from the political system.

"Donald Trump is a threat to democracy. That was true before an assassination attempt was foiled at his golf course Sunday, and it remains true after. Political violence in general, and assassinating presidential candidates specifically, also poses risks to democracy.

There is no contradiction between these ideas whatsoever. Yet Trump’s supporters have responded to both attempts on his life by muddying the waters, exploiting the near-tragedies with cynical efforts to redefine critiques of Trump’s authoritarian inclinations as violent provocation.
[…]
There is a more serious conceptual problem with the argument that denouncing Trump as a threat to democracy inspired violence: It ignores the truth or falsity of the matter. Taken at face value, the argument implies that we cannot say a presidential candidate threatens democracy even if he plainly does. A party could nominate a candidate who openly promises to end elections and imprison all his critics, and the opposing party would be prevented from describing this candidate as a threat to democracy for fear of inspiring assassination attempts...”

Republicans need to stop lying that appropriate, factual, warranted criticism of Trump is somehow ‘inciting’ violence against Trump.

You all are the ones who said repubs using words like “fight” was inciting violence (even though everyone uses that word). You all are the ones who say Trump is inciting violence by simply speaking. Such as the Haitian situation, though trump never called for violence, you claim that his statements are what is inciting the violence toward them, so, absolutely when you say “Trump is a threat to democracy”, that is a call to violence. It’s what you all would say about the right…right?

So you don't think this drumbeat would have any effect on the less stable members of your cult?

Yep, there has been a lot of inciteful rhetoric from the left. You should hear the progressive radio shows I listen to, they are just as bad.

I see you bought the propaganda. The swamp dominated His cabinet to keep Him in check.
No, I didn't buy the propaganda, that's why I saw who the leader of the swamp was.
/—-/ That’s not how the Swamp works, Dummy.
In political terms, the "swamp" refers to a metaphorical representation of Washington's political environment, often associated with corruption, special interests, and long-standing politicians. The phrase "drain the swamp" is used to signify the removal of harmful elements like corruption and government waste from the political system.
Dumbass Trump is the epitome of corruption. Well the swamp was drained of corruption and gov't waste when Trump was shown the door.

Why don't you? How many illegals have you invited into your neighborhood?

Or are you just being generous only with other people's lives and livelihoods?
I donate to the food banks weekly. I serve down at the Catholic Church on the soup line. I would serve you. I do this for American and immigrant and MAGA.

You have a soul though you don't know it.

[…]

I smell dem desperation.....nevermind the deflection.

Forum List

Back