EBay apologizes, removes Holocaust memorabilia from sale

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"Online auction site eBay has apologized after a newspaper found apparent Holocaust memorabilia, including the clothes of concentration camp victims, being offered for sale.

Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper said items included shoes and a suitcase from concentration camp prisoners, Star of David armbands that Jews were forced to wear and the alleged uniform of a Polish baker who died in Auschwitz."
EBay apologizes, removes Holocaust memorabilia from sale after newspaper investigation | Fox News

The offering, depending on the spirit in which it was done, should have stayed. If these items are authentic then they are historical in nature and could have been purchased by a serious entity such as a museum, school etc.

I just saw some Nazi coins for sell in the weird items section this morning on ebay.

The jews want all Holocaust memorabilia to be in holocaust museums.

That way they can corner the market and control the 'official' narrative on the alleged event. . :cool:

I sold on there years ago and they began a policy of not allowing holocaust or Nazi items after uproars. It has been policy for around 12-15 years now, if my memory serves me correctly.

You can still buy and sell Nazi memorabilia complete with swastika on Ebay......coins, medals, stamps, pictures, swords, and even original copies of Mein Kampf . :cool:

"Online auction site eBay has apologized after a newspaper found apparent Holocaust memorabilia, including the clothes of concentration camp victims, being offered for sale.

Britain's Mail on Sunday newspaper said items included shoes and a suitcase from concentration camp prisoners, Star of David armbands that Jews were forced to wear and the alleged uniform of a Polish baker who died in Auschwitz."
EBay apologizes, removes Holocaust memorabilia from sale after newspaper investigation | Fox News

The offering, depending on the spirit in which it was done, should have stayed. If these items are authentic then they are historical in nature and could have been purchased by a serious entity such as a museum, school etc.

What difference does that make? A sale is a sale. Any clever merchant could pretend they have some "righteous cause" allowing them to sell trinkets.

On a related note, does anyone else see the irony in the German government not allowing the sale of certain items, or not allowing the free exercise of debate on certain subjects?

You can still buy and sell Nazi memorabilia complete with swastika on Ebay......coins, medals, stamps, pictures, swords, and even original copies of Mein Kampf . :cool:

but policy pretty much prohibits it. Their big sellers seem to be ignored alot as to what they do, though.

Offensive material policy

According to your reference: The following is a restricted, but not prohibited, item: "Jewish identification (armbands, Star of David)" Restricted because "These items can't be shipped to Germany, France, or other countries that prohibit Nazi-related materials".

While many consider it offensive this material is held out for public display to memorialize the events of that period, to remember what occurred etc. The apology thing does not work very well with me either allow it or not they should be consistent.

They are historical artifacts. You can find artifacts from slavery or Nazi artifacts

I don't see why they can't be sold. Many Jews would probably buy them as a reminder of past history

What difference does that make? A sale is a sale. Any clever merchant could pretend they have some "righteous cause" allowing them to sell trinkets.

On a related note, does anyone else see the irony in the German government not allowing the sale of certain items, or not allowing the free exercise of debate on certain subjects?

Makes a difference to me, I would not buy an item such as this from someone who wishes to celebrate that the events of that period, but I would purchase from an entity that simply wishes to sell the item because it is salable.

but policy pretty much prohibits it. Their big sellers seem to be ignored alot as to what they do, though.

According to your reference: The following is a restricted, but not prohibited, item: "Jewish identification (armbands, Star of David)" Restricted because "These items can't be shipped to Germany, France, or other countries that prohibit Nazi-related materials".

While many consider it offensive this material is held out for public display to memorialize the events of that period, to remember what occurred etc. The apology thing does not work very well with me either allow it or not they should be consistent.

he stated -

still buy and sell Nazi memorabilia complete with swastika
Not allowed -

Uniforms, uniform components, weapons, or other items that bear the Nazi swastika or SS runes

De-Nazi-fied items (items that originally had a swastika or SS runes that have been removed)

Listings where images are edited or cropped to try to hide Nazi markings or insignia

thus those items withe swastika are not allowed according to policy.

But they have no such restrictions on memorabilia from say Stalinist Russia, Facist WW2 Italy, Pol Pot and Cambodia, Serial Killers, etc. as though the symbols of Nazi Germany are uniquely abhorrent. It's a crock of shit, quite honestly, with the usual suspects behind the restrictions.

he stated -

still buy and sell Nazi memorabilia complete with swastika
Not allowed -

Uniforms, uniform components, weapons, or other items that bear the Nazi swastika or SS runes

De-Nazi-fied items (items that originally had a swastika or SS runes that have been removed)

Listings where images are edited or cropped to try to hide Nazi markings or insignia

thus those items withe swastika are not allowed according to policy.

I am saying: "Star of David armbands: from the OP.

But they have no such restrictions on memorabilia from say Stalinist Russia, Facist WW2 Italy, Pol Pot and Cambodia, Serial Killers, etc. as though the symbols of Nazi Germany are uniquely abhorrent. It's a crock of shit, quite honestly, with the usual suspects behind the restrictions.

Who in your opinion are the usual suspects?

It's not a matter of opinion, so rather than play that hand, perhaps your question ought to be, "why is one atrocity sacred, while others are not". BTW, you probably know this, but Pol Pot slaughtered more innocent people than The Third Reich.

It's not a matter of opinion, so rather than play that hand, perhaps your question ought to be, "why is one atrocity sacred, while others are not". BTW, you probably know this, but Pol Pot slaughtered more innocent people than The Third Reich.

because a holocaust is a jewish burnt offering olah ritual that Hitler must have practiced?

Why else would hitler be credited with a holocaust.

Forum List

Back