Every Ventilator becomes gold. Corona Virus

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013
I have yet to see a thread on what is possibly a MAJOR problem in the World with the Corona Virus.............And that is VAP.........Ventilator-associated pneumonia

Ventilator-associated pneumonia - Wikipedia

and why this may be a problem.
'Every ventilator becomes like gold' - doctors give emotional warnings from Italy's Coronavirus outbreak

Dr Daniele Macchini's post, translated by Dr Silvia Stringhini

"After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

"I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

"I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly 'emptied', elective activities were interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

"All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

"Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

"Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

"Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

continue reading..............

Italy was overwhelmed by the virus.........and one of the key problems .......VENTILATORS....Do we have enough of them?

Interstitial lung disease - Symptoms and causes

Causes
Interstitial lung disease seems to occur when an injury to your lungs triggers an abnormal healing response. Ordinarily, your body generates just the right amount of tissue to repair damage. But in interstitial lung disease, the repair process goes awry and the tissue around the air sacs (alveoli) becomes scarred and thickened. This makes it more difficult for oxygen to pass into your bloodstream.

Just to further complicaye the issue? Those who are fortunate enough to get a ventilator when they need it, will often get the added bonus of a bacterial infection like MRSA.

That and acinetobactor were the two that my wife was fortunate to contract when she was on her vent, following her cardiac arrest.

The doctors were so kind as to inform me that those infections wete every bit as deadly as the cardiac arrest (almost) was.

I blame Trump.

Last edited:
I have yet to see a thread on what is possibly a MAJOR problem in the World with the Corona Virus.............And that is VAP.........Ventilator-associated pneumonia

'Every ventilator becomes like gold' - doctors give emotional warnings from Italy's Coronavirus outbreak

"After much thought about whether and what to write about what is happening to us, I felt that silence was not responsible.

"I will therefore try to convey to people far from our reality what we are living in Bergamo in these days of Covid-19 pandemic. I understand the need not to create panic, but when the message of the dangerousness of what is happening does not reach people I shudder.

"I myself watched with some amazement the reorganization of the entire hospital in the past week, when our current enemy was still in the shadows: the wards slowly 'emptied', elective activities were interrupted, intensive care were freed up to create as many beds as possible.

"All this rapid transformation brought an atmosphere of silence and surreal emptiness to the corridors of the hospital that we did not yet understand, waiting for a war that was yet to begin and that many (including me) were not so sure would ever come with such ferocity.

"Cases are multiplying, we arrive at a rate of 15-20 admissions per day all for the same reason. The results of the swabs now come one after the other: positive, positive, positive. Suddenly the E.R. is collapsing.

"Reasons for the access always the same: fever and breathing difficulties, fever and cough, respiratory failure. Radiology reports always the same: bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia, bilateral interstitial pneumonia. All to be hospitalized.

"Someone already to be intubated and go to intensive care. For others it's too late... Every ventilator becomes like gold: those in operating theatres that have now suspended their non-urgent activity become intensive care places that did not exist before.

Italy was overwhelmed by the virus.........and one of the key problems .......VENTILATORS....Do we have enough of them?

And this is why the steps are being taken to try and slow the spread, so that our medical system is not overwhelmed like it was in Italy.

And this is why the steps are being taken to try and slow the spread, so that our medical system is not overwhelmed like it was in Italy.
Hopefully they got the stocks up......the graph went exponential in the last 2 weeks.

Hopefully they got the stocks up......the graph went exponential in the last 2 weeks.

Hopefully they got many places restocked. My wife is a nurse at the VA and at her hospital they are using respirators that "expired" 3 years ago waiting on more to arrive. Though some of it was self-inflicted as people were stealing them during the early days before they locked them all down.

Some scary shit.

Hopefully they got many places restocked. My wife is a nurse at the VA and at her hospital they are using respirators that "expired" 3 years ago waiting on more to arrive. Though some of it was self-inflicted as people were stealing them during the early days before they locked them all down.

Some scary shit.
Are they disposable..........or cartridge style.............Not sure if the cartridge style would be sold out yet..........We use them at work and the cartridges are from industrial supply houses......

https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/Reusable-Resp-Catalog.pdf

Some scary shit.
Are they disposable..........or cartridge style.............Not sure if the cartridge style would be sold out yet..........We use them at work and the cartridges are from industrial supply houses......

This is the kind they are out of...

6mcmVxusXBBqe36yXeeWq5-320-80.jpg

Some scary shit.

This is the kind they are out of...

6mcmVxusXBBqe36yXeeWq5-320-80.jpg
Easier to talk through..........but if they run out of those I'd bet the industrial sector has a whole lot of those others...............They suck wearing them for a while.......not much fun to talk thru.........but if they run out.........I'd bet the Refineries, Chem plants, and their suppliers could stem the tide..........hell we got them in our tool room.

We deal with some very NASTY and LETHAL stuff at work at times.

Some scary shit.

It was decades ago, but I was in the business for about ten years. One company I worked for rented venerators out when things got busy for hospitals. When they started running low, they called our 24 hour service and we had one delivered within 2 hours in most cases. The driver on call took a company van home with various items including at least one ventilator.

When they returned the ventilator, it was my job to do a manufacture check on the thing, make a checklist for my records, clean and disinfect it. Hospitals found it much cheaper to rent ventilators from us when needed, instead of buying them outright and have them sit in a dark room over 3/4 of the time.

Some scary shit.

It was decades ago, but I was in the business for about ten years. One company I worked for rented venerators out when things got busy for hospitals. When they started running low, they called our 24 hour service and we had one delivered within 2 hours in most cases. The driver on call took a company van home with various items including at least one ventilator.

When they returned the ventilator, it was my job to do a manufacture check on the thing, make a checklist for my records, clean and disinfect it. Hospitals found it much cheaper to rent ventilators from us when needed, instead of buying them outright and have them sit in a dark room over 3/4 of the time.
So how is the stockpile of them...........as in Italy they were running out of them and beds.............

If this goes exponential............looks like it might..........are there enough of them?

So all of the kids will stay in their homes while not in school. And are we going to stop everyone from going to the stores and supermarkets? When do the fast food places and restarants close down? If you kill the economy, the corona virus will look like a pimple on the ass of a tsunami of violence and destruction and death.

Some scary shit.

So how is the stockpile of them...........as in Italy they were running out of them and beds.............

If this goes exponential............looks like it might..........are there enough of them?

Like I said, many years ago back in the early to mid 80's. But we always kept about a dozen on hand, and we were only one medical equipment company. Several of our competitors rented them out too. I'm sure today, they are smaller and cheaper priced. I haven't seen a ventilator in many years to know what they're using today.

So all of the kids will stay in their homes while not in school. And are we going to stop everyone from going to the stores and supermarkets? When do the fast food places and restarants close down? If you kill the economy, the corona virus will look like a pimple on the ass of a tsunami of violence and destruction and death.

When do the fast food places and restarants close down?

Ours closed today. Fast food places are still open, but only drive-thru. The order was for restaurants and bars to close down.

Many hospital beds are already full due to 'regular' flu.

Our schools shut down Wednesday.........and they will have an extended Spring Break.. Nothing else is shut down as far as I know.

But Alabama hasn't had that many cases.........Think 13.........The shelves are empty here like many places now.......as everyone rushes out to buy everything they can find.......LOL

It looks like right before a Hurricane...........

We have been told time and time again this is the greatest economy in the history of the world, that there has never been a stronger economy than what the US has today.

A couple of weeks of reduced commerce should not kill it, it should be able to survive it just fine if what we have been told is true.

Many hospital beds are already full due to 'regular' flu.

Which is why they are trying to hard to slow the spread, or to flatten the curve as they like to say.

Our schools shut down Wednesday.........and they will have an extended Spring Break.. Nothing else is shut down as far as I know.

But Alabama hasn't had that many cases.........Think 13.........The shelves are empty here like many places now.......as everyone rushes out to buy everything they can find.......LOL

It looks like right before a Hurricane...........

Our schools are closed till at least 1 Apr. Casinos are closed starting Tuesday I think for 2 weeks. Only drive through and delivery restaurants are allowed to be open for two weeks.

It is a shit show and there is a large part of me that thinks it is too much, but I do understand the reason why they are doing it.

Forum List

Back