Evil corporations sit on $trillions while millions remain unemployed!

Maybe I'm unique but I make it a point of trying to avoid companies whose business practices I don't agree with.

Of course, I agree that that's not always possible. I have no idea what proportion of BP oil sold as a commodity on the world market is in what I put in my tank. Nor do I know if the food I buy contains Monsanto product. However, eventually the truth usually comes out and customers turn on companies they perceive to have turned against them.

The Government actually makes more money through the sales of gasoline than the oil companies do. Ironically, the Government has no problem labeling oil companies as the boggy-man once gas prices fly North.

No one is legally obligated to support any business, which is why they work so hard for your services.

Really? The oil companies own the oil wells, the pipeline from the wells to the refinery, the refinery, the transport from the refinery to the stations, the pumps, most of the jobber companies, and most of the 'C' stores. Each one of the separate entities sells product to the next at a mark-up. PLUS, they don't have to worry about supply and demand cause a bunch of investors set the prices.

So oil companies aren't the 'boggy-man'?

There are but a few oil companies that own and control the entire marketing chain from drill bit to gas tank.

As for exploration, drilling, and production - over 85% of that is done by Independents in the lower 48. Not "Big Oil".

Maybe I'm unique but I make it a point of trying to avoid companies whose business practices I don't agree with.

Of course, I agree that that's not always possible. I have no idea what proportion of BP oil sold as a commodity on the world market is in what I put in my tank. Nor do I know if the food I buy contains Monsanto product. However, eventually the truth usually comes out and customers turn on companies they perceive to have turned against them.

The Government actually makes more money through the sales of gasoline than the oil companies do. Ironically, the Government has no problem labeling oil companies as the boggy-man once gas prices fly North.

No one is legally obligated to support any business, which is why they work so hard for your services.

Really? The oil companies own the oil wells, the pipeline from the wells to the refinery, the refinery, the transport from the refinery to the stations, the pumps, most of the jobber companies, and most of the 'C' stores. Each one of the separate entities sells product to the next at a mark-up. PLUS, they don't have to worry about supply and demand cause a bunch of investors set the prices.

Oil Companies can only control so much when it comes to the price you pay at the pump. Majority of that cost is solely due to supply and demand, which is 66% as of July 8th. Gas and Oil is a multi-Trillion dollar commodity. All the speculators in the world wouldn't be able to manipulate that for long term. Everything else you have outlined contributes to 21.9%. The rest of the cost goes to taxes.

Just a small example, within the last three quarters Exxon Mobile (XOM) had a total revenue of $339 Billion dollars, but their net profit was only $29 Billion dollars. That's only a profit margin of 8.5%, which is tiny. Your average mom & pop shop is doing at least 40% mark-ups.

Apple, on the other hand, within the last three quarters had a total revenue of $134 Billion dollars and a net profit of $30. So their profit margin is 23%. Lower than it was last year, but still larger than Exxon.

Apple only sells consumable goods like phones and computers, but it still makes a 181% larger profit than Exxon who supposedly makes all of our lives miserable. So keep that in mind next time you take a trip to the Apple Store.

Last edited:
In order to argument against an illogical statement, it is best to nullify the premise, not further it.

As someone who has actually run a business (or two or three), the whole idea that there are tons of business owners out there "sitting on cash" is laughable. Except for Microsoft and Apple, I don't know any companies that experience a cash surplus. As a matter of fact, the one struggle most companies have is increasing their cash flow.

You're kidding....right? Have you NOT been watching the stock market? There's tens of trillions of dollars out there!

So/

There is no obligation for anyone to spend their money. None. Zero. Zip. Nada.

I never wrote there was. My post referred to cookies

Except for Microsoft and Apple, I don't know any companies that experience a cash surplus.

In order to argument against an illogical statement, it is best to nullify the premise, not further it.

As someone who has actually run a business (or two or three), the whole idea that there are tons of business owners out there "sitting on cash" is laughable. Except for Microsoft and Apple, I don't know any companies that experience a cash surplus. As a matter of fact, the one struggle most companies have is increasing their cash flow.

You're kidding....right? Have you NOT been watching the stock market? There's tens of trillions of dollars out there!

Oh my goodness, I was having trouble hearing you over the sound of pounding my head on the table ... the price of a company's stock has very little to do with their profits. Yes, publicly held companies sell stock (not all businesses sell stock) to raise money. It is one way they raise money. However, that in no way implies that enough money is raised to fully meet the operational needs or goals.

Quit banging your head on the table! My post referred to your 'cash surplus' comment.

Here is what a BUSINESS is all about:

1- Profit above all else. Take more from the customers than it gives back to them
2- Dictatorship. There is ONE person in charge. One. The CEO. The manager. There is no checks and balances. There is a clear dictator.

And we hear RW'ers say "run government like a business".

Meaning....take more from the taxpayers in taxes than the govt gives back in services. "Profit", right?
And, trim government down and consolidate it.......to the point that it has the same power, but concentrated into a handful of people elected into the "smaller government". Meaning....a shit load of power in the hands of a few.

Thats what RW'ers want.
It is clear you don't understand business, or what the right wants.

Oh my goodness, I was having trouble hearing you over the sound of pounding my head on the table ... the price of a company's stock has very little to do with their profits. Yes, publicly held companies sell stock (not all businesses sell stock) to raise money. It is one way they raise money. However, that in no way implies that enough money is raised to fully meet the operational needs or goals.

Quit banging your head on the table! My post referred to your 'cash surplus' comment.
You do understand that the Stock Market is being propped up by Quantitative Easing (which means taxpayer dollars) and not because there are hundreds of companies sitting on trillions of dollars, right?

There are but a few oil companies that own and control the entire marketing chain from drill bit to gas tank.

As for exploration, drilling, and production - over 85% of that is done by Independents in the lower 48. Not "Big Oil".

So it's your contention that Exxon Mobil Corporation, ConocoPhillips, and Chevron Corporation, DON'T produce the most oil in the US?

You do understand that the Stock Market is being propped up by Quantitative Easing (which means taxpayer dollars) and not because there are hundreds of companies sitting on trillions of dollars, right?

Then explain why the large amount of cash influx into the markets occurred at the same time as banks started charging for holding accounts.

So it's your contention that Exxon Mobil Corporation, ConocoPhillips, and Chevron Corporation, DON'T produce the most oil in the US?

Simply stating facts. Next time you refer to "the oil companies" be more specific.
Methinks it is you who is the boggy-man. :D

Thanks, but I'm not sure how funding infrastructure projects necessarily directly effects middle class income.
It generates jobs.

Nothing generates more jobs in a shorter amount of time than construction projects.

These projects could be given to those that already have jobs, and much of the income may go to owners of companies (the wealthy) that are awarded the government bid.
Owners don't dig the ditches or pour the asphalt. And competitive bidding gives owners with less overhead a shot at getting these contracts.

Nothing generates more jobs in a shorter amount of time than construction projects.

And Republicans are not going to let that happen.

First they scream Obama is doing nothing to create jobs.

Then they scream government can't create jobs.

Then they scream their jobs are being moved to China.

Then they scream education costs too much.

Then they scream education is for snobs.

The question I have is, "What is Republicans think they are qualifed to do?" We can't see their qualifications over all that "screaming".

oh shut up and stop YOUR stupid nonsense...you repeat the same shit over and over..you really have no Idea how governments work do you? the STATE has their own, in case you DIDN'T know that...
construction jobs are done by the STATES when they need them...as for education we see it created a lot snobs in you liberals who think yourselves all high and mighty..
Everything wrong in your miserable life is do to REPUBLICANS..........ooooooooooooooooooooooo

Last edited:

Simply stating facts. Next time you refer to "the oil companies" be more specific.
Methinks it is you who is the boggy-man. :D

Why don't you post your 'facts'.

Here is what a BUSINESS is all about:

1- Profit above all else. Take more from the customers than it gives back to them
2- Dictatorship. There is ONE person in charge. One. The CEO. The manager. There is no checks and balances. There is a clear dictator.

And we hear RW'ers say "run government like a business".

Meaning....take more from the taxpayers in taxes than the govt gives back in services. "Profit", right?
And, trim government down and consolidate it.......to the point that it has the same power, but concentrated into a handful of people elected into the "smaller government". Meaning....a shit load of power in the hands of a few.

Thats what RW'ers want.

1. The only way a business can become profitable if it serves the needs and wants consumers. I can only assume you shop at several businesses. Would you trade your money in exchange for a good or service if you felt that good or service wasn't work the money you are exchanging?

2. CEO's are appointed by the Board of Directors. They are the checks and balances.

Forum List

Back