Cougar Crest
Owen Sullivan
Saviah Cellars
Northstar
Snoqualmie Vineyards
Fidelitas
Goose Ridge
Sorenson Cellars

I've never had it, but I've heard that Corbet Canyon is good.

I am drawing a blank on the winery that we always buy from. But it's in Safeway!

gop_jeff said:
I've never had it, but I've heard that Corbet Canyon is good.

I am drawing a blank on the winery that we always buy from. But it's in Safeway!

hess....duckhorn....ruffino....bv....la crema....swann

gop_jeff said:
Columbia Crest! That's it!

There is one thing for Columbia Crest I'll admit to - they make one VERY consistant bottle of juice - i..e, it's always great stuff for the money..

-Cp said:
There is one thing for Columbia Crest I'll admit to - they make one VERY consistant bottle of juice - i..e, it's always great stuff for the money..

never had columbia crest.....how much? red? white? where are the grapes from?

OCA said:
Silver Oak, Napa Valley. The cab is about 75$ a bottle but like a little slice of heaven.

Silver Oak was great stuff until about 4 years ago - they've sharply went down-hill since then..

I'd take a Duckhorn anyday over Silver Oak...

To rate your favorite Vintner, you have to do it by year. As Cp stated, Silver Oak was really good (especially their 1992 Reserve Cab) but since has fallen off.
Duckhorn is good, but might not be in a couple of years. You all know, the ups and downs....

Tonight I had a Pinot Noir from Saintsbury . It was the first time (well, that I recall anyway) having a wine from here and I must say, it was pretty darn good! Especially for a California Pinot.....

Oh, it is a Napa wine.

freeandfun1 said:
To rate your favorite Vintner, you have to do it by year. As Cp stated, Silver Oak was really good (especially their 1992 Reserve Cab) but since has fallen off.
Duckhorn is good, but might not be in a couple of years. You all know, the ups and downs....

Tonight I had a Pinot Noir from Saintsbury . It was the first time (well, that I recall anyway) having a wine from here and I must say, it was pretty darn good! Especially for a California Pinot.....

Oh, it is a Napa wine.

Well there are other reasons besides the growing conditions of a particular vintage that determines the outcome of flavors for wine - most noteably is the wine-maker behind the "juice"..

One of my favorite vintners, Kestrel, had a wine-maker named Ray Sandidge who went on to start his own winery - since he left Kestrel's wine got rather "ghetto"... er.. sub-standard compared to what Ray can make...

-Cp said:
Well there are other reasons besides the growing conditions of a particular vintage that determines the outcome of flavors for wine - most noteably is the wine-maker behind the "juice"..

One of my favorite vintners, Kestrel, had a wine-maker named Ray Sandidge who went on to start his own winery - since he left Kestrel's wine got rather "ghetto"... er.. sub-standard compared to what Ray can make...

Well, by rating wine by the year, you are rating it by more than one criteria. You are rating, of course, the growing season, but also the wine-maker. Also, smaller Vintners always start out good, but then as they grab market share, they go from making say 5,000 cases per year to 100,000 cases per year and that usually has an impact on quality too. There are just too many variables. However, when rating by year, you cover every variable. One year they may have one wine-maker, the next year another. One year might be a good season, the next not, one year they have made a limited amount of wine that is really good, but the next a lot that is just so-so. So again, when rating by year, you are not just rating growing seasons.

freeandfun1 said:
Well, by rating wine by the year, you are rating it by more than one criteria. You are rating, of course, the growing season, but also the wine-maker. Also, smaller Vintners always start out good, but then as they grab market share, they go from making say 5,000 cases per year to 100,000 cases per year and that usually has an impact on quality too. There are just too many variables. However, when rating by year, you cover every variable. One year they may have one wine-maker, the next year another. One year might be a good season, the next not, one year they have made a limited amount of wine that is really good, but the next a lot that is just so-so. So again, when rating by year, you are not just rating growing seasons.

I beg to differ a bit ... as a great winemaker makes great wine year in and year out.... I know, because I know quite a few great winemakers...:)

-Cp said:
I beg to differ a bit ... as a great winemaker makes great wine year in and year out.... I know, because I know quite a few great winemakers...:)

You missed my point totally. But okay.

-Cp said:
Silver Oak was great stuff until about 4 years ago - they've sharply went down-hill since then..

I'd take a Duckhorn anyday over Silver Oak...

Well I must admit its been probably 5 years since I had one, hard to find on the East Coast.

Forum List

Back