Food & Wine

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
Hmm.. .

Very few things I can think of are more enjoyable in life than perfect food and wine combinations. They way they culminate on the pallate - the "mood" it sets - to many people - is very eurphoric.

I'm sure many of you are asking "how can it be?" Sersiously?

I challenge you to first - start watching the Food Network TV - start practicing many of the dishes on there and, more importantly, the way they cook. i.e., they season everything - most good dinners have some sort of reduction sauce etc.

Secondly, find out where the nearest Wine Apallation is to your locale and go visit it! Stop by the wineries and visit wine-makers in your area. Get to know them and their stories behind the wine. I can guarantee that most wines are as unique as the makers behind them.

Lastly, start experimenting with food and wine - forget the old traditions of "wine pairing" - you know, "red wine with red meat - white wine with white meat" etc. I think you'll be surprise to see just how well a Red can carry a "light meat" dish and how incredible a white (like Viognier) can go with a hearty, spicey meat dish.

If you want a great resource - pick up the "Wine Bible" from any bookseller - read it and learn . the world of possabilities are endless when it comes to finding that next pairing that you too will consider to be "Pureed sex in a glass®"

MtnBiker said:
Hey Cp, what is the straw covering on a bottle of Chianti called?

That's a "Fiasco" - the Italian word for Flask... It's often used on cheaper wine from the Chianti region.

Additionally, it helps the bottle to sit upright and protects the thin glass those bottles are made from.

A fiasco, I love that. There are some very nice Chainti wines that have nothing to do with the straw covering.

What is the primary grape in Chainti?

MtnBiker said:
A fiasco, I love that. There are some very nice Chainti wines that have nothing to do with the straw covering.

What is the primary grape in Chainti?

Is this a test? or you're really just wanted to know? :p

They're testing you.. they have secret conversations about you in secret threads that you can't see.

An excellent Viognier was the first "real" wine I was introduced to. My wife and I love it, but only on special occassions. Typically, we are red wine drinkers. I really like Syrahs myself, cabs are good, but as I get older, the tanic in the cabs bother me more and more. Now days, when we drink, we tend to drink Merlots or the occassional Pinot Noir or a good Zin.

I have a "decent" collection.... Not big, but I do have a few really good bottles. I have about half a case of 1989 Chateau Margaux Premier Grand Cru Classe. I've been holding this one for a while and am waiting for a special occasion to finish it off.....

freeandfun1 said:
I have a "decent" collection.... Not big, but I do have a few really good bottles. I have about half a case of 1989 Chateau Margaux Premier Grand Cru Classe. I've been holding this one for a while and am waiting for a special occasion to finish it off.....

How can anything made in France ever be considered good? :p

-Cp said:
How can anything made in France ever be considered good? :p

Well, when it comes to wine.....

I bought it back in 1996. I would not (and I don't) buy a French wine now

There are some great Syrahs and Cabs out of Australia (Rosemount Estates has an excellent "Reserve" Cab) and Chilean Merlots are pretty damn good too! And VERY cheap compared to French and even US wines!

MtnBiker said:
Veuve Clicquot is pretty good.

Yes it is. I guess I lied when I said I don't buy French wines anymore.... I forgot, I recently had a bottle of that with my wife at the House of Blues..... a great Champagne!

freeandfun1 said:
Well, when it comes to wine.....

I bought it back in 1996. I would not (and I don't) buy a French wine now

There are some great Syrahs and Cabs out of Australia (Rosemount Estates has an excellent "Reserve" Cab) and Chilean Merlots are pretty damn good too! And VERY cheap compared to French and even US wines!

What part of the country do you live in?

You need to do yourself a huge favor and get turned onto Washington Reds - you'll thank me the rest of your life if you do.. ;)

-Cp said:
What part of the country do you live in?

You need to do yourself a huge favor and get turned onto Washington Reds - you'll thank me the rest of your life if you do.. ;)

I live in Vegas and I do like Washington's reds and Oregon's as well. Especially the Pinot Noirs. I went to college in McMinnville, Oregon and lived in Tigard (suburb of Portland) and we used to visit often the Willamette Valley vineyards often. I drove past them everyday when driving to school. I didn't go to college until I was 25 (after I finished serving 8 years in the Army) so I was old enough to stop by on the way home and enjoy some tastings now and again!

Both Oregon and Washington have some great reds! I agree!

Haha McMinnville! I forget what school is there, Linfield? Anyway stay away from heavier oregon reds like Cabernets, the pinot from there is awesome though.

OCA said:
Haha McMinnville! I forget what school is there, Linfield? Anyway stay away from heavier oregon reds like Cabernets, the pinot from there is awesome though.

Yup, Linfield!

I agree, their Cabs are not so good. But they make an awsome Pinot Noir and I recently had a very good Merlot from that area, but I can't recall the name.... I will have to see if I can find the cork....

freeandfun1 said:
Yup, Linfield!

I agree, their Cabs are not so good. But they make an awsome Pinot Noir and I recently had a very good Merlot from that area, but I can't recall the name.... I will have to see if I can find the cork....

Boy did I get plowed 1 night in McMinnville after the big rodeo in St. Paul. Wheeew!

OCA said:
Boy did I get plowed 1 night in McMinnville after the big rodeo in St. Paul. Wheeew!

I got plowed a few nights myself there! It was a neat school. An eclectic mix of conservatives and liberals. I think the location had a lot to do with that.

Me and my husband appreciate try new wines. Last time he traveled to California he bought a Pinot Noir. It is a good wine.

Forum List

Back