Food & Wine

Great food and wine can be found right throughout SA, if you're staying in Adelaide and want to take a day trip up to the hills, there are some fantastic wineries up there. The best thing i could suggest would be to just take a drive up there, and just start calling into wineries, last time we took a day trip we were given a map that had probably 40-50 wineries on it and we just visited a few of them, before having a picnic at the Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens. I would probably steer away from any guided tours (unless you really need a driver:) as personally i'd prefer to visit some of the smaller wineries (if i may suggest Hahndorf Hill Wines for a great tasting experience.
I'd also suggest the same with the barossa valley area, again, drive down there (probably 45minutes from the city) there's a heap of wineries down there and they're all really, really well signed. Chateau Tanunda is a great example of the caliber of wineries that can be found. Again i would steer towards the smaller wineries, all credit to the giant wineries out there, they have helped to build an industry, but some of these independent wineries are simply put, amazing.
Most, if not all of the cellar door sales will offer some local fare, particularly in the way of local cheese plates and fruit.
Also if you have the time there are some great wineries to be found in the Riverland (about 2&1/2 hours north of Adelaide, well northish), if i could suggest Pennyfield wines, who have a cellar door/ cafe in Berri, located right on the banks of the River Murray, a great place to loose an afternoon.
Finally the best advice i could give you would be to take your time and enjoy, there really is some sensational wine areas around here, and I have completely neglected to mention any of the Limestone Coast, only because i haven't quite gotten around to visiting them yet (we keep getting stuck where we know:)
Hope this helps,
Enjoy.

Great food and wine can be found right throughout SA, if you're staying in Adelaide and want to take a day trip up to the hills, there are some fantastic wineries up there. The best thing i could suggest would be to just take a drive up there, and just start calling into wineries, last time we took a day trip we were given a map that had probably 40-50 wineries on it and we just visited a few of them, before having a picnic at the Mt Lofty Botanic Gardens. I would probably steer away from any guided tours (unless you really need a driver:) as personally i'd prefer to visit some of the smaller wineries (if i may suggest Hahndorf Hill Wines for a great tasting experience.
I'd also suggest the same with the barossa valley area, again, drive down there (probably 45minutes from the city) there's a heap of wineries down there and they're all really, really well signed. Chateau Tanunda is a great example of the caliber of wineries that can be found. Again i would steer towards the smaller wineries, all credit to the giant wineries out there, they have helped to build an industry, but some of these independent wineries are simply put, amazing.
Most, if not all of the cellar door sales will offer some local fare, particularly in the way of local cheese plates and fruit.
Also if you have the time there are some great wineries to be found in the Riverland (about 2&1/2 hours north of Adelaide, well northish), if i could suggest Pennyfield wines, who have a cellar door/ cafe in Berri, located right on the banks of the River Murray, a great place to loose an afternoon.
Finally the best advice i could give you would be to take your time and enjoy, there really is some sensational wine areas around here, and I have completely neglected to mention any of the Limestone Coast, only because i haven't quite gotten around to visiting them yet (we keep getting stuck where we know:)
Hope this helps,
Enjoy.

I grew up in the rolling vineyards of the Mosel Valley where some of the world's finest wine is produced. I so miss spending a lush spring afternoon in a lazy sidewalk cafe,' adorned by a cobblestone street... a quaint village set amongst the majestic Eifel Mountains. A tray of Danish cheese was set before me... in it was smoked ham, small pieces intermingled throughout the rich Gouda, an artisan delight and to compliment the fare, a bottle of Spatlese.. a splash of sweet, sensual wetness. Mmmm.. Dessert wine and Cheese.. the way to spend a beautiful spring day in Europe.

If you want good wine, you only have three names to remember :
"Bordeaux, Bourgogne et Champagne" for France
or :
"Merlot, Syrah, Cabernet sauvignon" if you are looking for wines outside of France
(Because we also find good wine in Spain, Italy, South America, Australia, etc..)

Haven't seen you here much, Damien - did you take the month of August off from posting, LOL?

I've been told that France is basically closed in August, due to so many people taking their vacation then....

Make sure you drink plenty of water a day. The risk of not drinking enough water is the occurrence of kidney stones.So daily eat healthy products.It's best for skin.

René Anafoutra;2890687 said:
freeandfun1 said:
How can anything made in France ever be considered good? :p

Err...The Statue of Liberty? Brie? Camembert? French Baguettes? Great Wines? Excellent Boulluabsise? Julia Child's culinary arts? Help during our liberation from GB?
All Good
All produced in France

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Make sure you drink plenty of water a day. The risk of not drinking enough water is the occurrence of kidney stones.So daily eat healthy products.It's best for skin.
I drink at least 2 liters of water a day.

Dinner last night: Chicken and corn soup and a toasted cheese sandwich. Comfort food. And ice water.

I am going to make homemade chicken stock/broth today. I'm going to start off with a mirepoix of carrots, onions and celery, then add water and chicken carcass along with some of the dark meat I saved that nobody eats. Then add some herbs. Unfortunately, I only have dried herbs, but I guess those will have to do. :)

I don't really drink, but if a glass of wine can enhance the dining experience, I will try it.

However, I am not sophisticated to know which wine goes with which foods. Is there a wine that goes with desserts like pie? I would like to learn with sweets and simple appetizers first.

How about fruits?

There are lots of discussions can be done on food and wine as lots of recipes can be made from food and wine. Just an advice for all of you guys to keep the wine safely in wine cooler or fridge so that taste of wine remains fresh and natural.

keep wine safely in wine cooler after use so that actual taste of wine remains.

infrico_zxs10_324_bottles_single_door_bottle_cooler.jpg

Forum List

Back