FBI K9 killed in SWAT shootout with gunman in NY

bucs90

Gold Member
Feb 25, 2010
Cops kill suspect in deadly NY shooting rampage - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

Yes, yet another mass shooting, done by a psychotic killer (not the gun, the killer, the gun wouldnt have done anything if no one picked it up).

Everyone has probably heard of this already. And all know I'm extremely pro-police.

But the FBI's K9 dog was killed in the initial SWAT team entry. Im also a huge animal lover, like most Americans, especially dogs. Anyone who has ever been around police dogs would probably say the same thing: They are indeed cops. Those dogs know what they are doing is not playtime. You can see it and sense it in the dog's demeanor. In training, you can see their playful demeanor. But they know when it is real, and some of the dogs never are able to perform. Others do, and they become the working K9's.

Just wanted to leave a comment to honor that dog that gave it's life in service to the people of NY. I fortunately was never working with a K9 that died on duty. But seeing how the cops and soldiers who have lost their K9's on duty act, I can say that they are as much a part of those families as any human.

The man who killed the K9 was consequently shot and killed by the SWAT team when he engaged them. No humans were reported to be hurt. It is very likely that the dog was the first to enter the door, and drew the fire of the madman, thus probably saving at least 1 human life.

Hundreds of these brave dogs have been killed on-duty in defense of US citizens.

Just a small tribute to them: Search for a Fallen Officer

I cant find a link to military dogs killed on duty, but Im sure it is out there if anyone has it, please post it.

This stuff breaks my heart every time I see a dog dying in service of our people. When I see my pet, a boxer, I cant imagine ever putting him in harms way. He's a big baby for one, and wouldnt perform anyway. I can only imagine the fear a cop or soldier feels when they take their beloved K9 into harms way, while having an even stronger bond than I do with my pet.

Normally I don't like reading things you post. However, this is an exception. As a dog owner and someone who has shown dogs and been involved in training, I must agree with you.
There are really no bad breeds of dogs, only bad owners. Dogs developed for security and protection are of the working class variety.
BTW, Did you read the article about K-9 PSTD in our military dogs? Did you know that our K-9 dogs are considered equipment and not soldiers. When those that handle the dogs will tell you different.

You don't often see FBI canines involved in local murders. Was an agent walking his dog when the shootings happened? Maybe shootings in barbershops come under federal law. You never know.

This is one link to the Working Military dog. Most of which are Herding dog breeds. German Shepherds, Malinois. Herding dogs rock.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A18OmsVW4k]War dogs .wmv - YouTube[/ame]

This will get you to you tube. Working dogs and handlers in action.

Just plug in Military dogs and handler, you tube and there are loads of sites.

Last edited:
It's impossible. NY has the strictest gun control laws in the country. This couldn't have happened. The media is making it up.

Normally I don't like reading things you post. However, this is an exception. As a dog owner and someone who has shown dogs and been involved in training, I must agree with you.
There are really no bad breeds of dogs, only bad owners. Dogs developed for security and protection are of the working class variety.
BTW, Did you read the article about K-9 PSTD in our military dogs? Did you know that our K-9 dogs are considered equipment and not soldiers. When those that handle the dogs will tell you different.

100% agree. I've owned all sorts of dogs in my life, including a Pit Bull. There truly are no bad dogs, just bad owners and trainers. Im in awe every single day just how my dog is in a great mood, every day, when I get home. He is never mad at the world, mad about politics, mad about his life. He simply asks for food and love, and he'd give his life to protect me in return.

No, I haven't heard that about the military dogs, but it doesnt surprise me. Those dogs are so brave and courageous, just like their handlers. I heard stories about how the military would take K9's used overseas and kill them rather than pay to ship them back. Not sure if that is an urban legend or true, I couldnt imagine how the handler would feel.

The military dogs shouldnt be considered "equipment", I'd consider them every bit a soldier as the person leading them. Cops have labeled K9's "cops" forever. In fact, shooting or harming a police dog is, in most states, justified to charge "Assault on a Police Officer". The police world treats their K9's exactly like a human officer.

Anyway.....thanks for the PTSD K9 info, I'll have to look that up. Glad to see that the love for dogs touches people of all different political views. Shows how strong that bond is that it is the same in everyone regardless of political viewpoint.

You don't often see FBI canines involved in local murders. Was an agent walking his dog when the shootings happened? Maybe shootings in barbershops come under federal law. You never know.

I think this was the FBI's HRT unit, which is their national SWAT team. Very elite unit, mostly former military spec ops guys and former LAPD/NYC swat types. They sometimes will assist in swat situations, like a man barricaded with a gun, when it is in a tiny town that doesnt have a capable tactical team to handle it.

Just tactically speaking, I dont know why they went in the building. He had no hostage. They didnt try to gas him. I hate armchair quarterbacking the police though, so I wont.

But, they did go in, and it sounds like they used a tactic of sending the dog in first, then following immediately behind it. That tactic often draws the gunman's initial shots, and since the dog is so short, the guy usually misses way high and the dog takes out the arm holding the gun for 1-2 seconds until the next man up secures the gun.

Tragically, this time the dog got hit.

Forum List

Back