Ferguson Police to Begin Wearing Cameras

TheOldSchool

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
last stop for sanity before reaching the south
Police begin wearing cameras in US protest town - Yahoo News

Ferguson police began wearing the cameras on Saturday, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, quoting the town's police chief Tom Jackson as saying the force was donated about 50 body cameras by two companies.

"We are still playing with them," Jackson reportedly said, adding that each officer will get one to use.

"The quality is good," he said.

Critics believe police will be more accountable if they wear cameras, which will also allow judges and juries to view for themselves police action in disputed incidents.

Good. All police should wear one. This way self-defense can be proven beyond doubt and there will be more accountability for police actions.

Heard a stat about NTC's PD saying the city settles for over $300 million/year in police complaint cases. Why so much? No cameras documenting things by and large. So I'm all for cams. Of course, I can imagine the conarguement, "if they all wear cameras, how will we falsely accuse them of brutality now?" :)

No point recording a patrol where nothing happens. Data storage fees probably make the turning of them off more economic. Gonna turn it on every call to document it like. Simple audit of emergency responses to video data aquisitoin will reveal anyone keeping it off maliciously like.

• Banned
Y'all know they can be shut off by the user, right?

For example, after the police department in Rialto, Calif., began a pilot program to require about half of its officers to wear cameras, use of force by police dropped 59%, and complaints against police fell by 88%.

A one-year study of police in Mesa, Ariz., found that citizen complaints dropped 50% against officers who wore cameras. "Once people realize they're being videotaped, everyone's just a little politer," Mesa police Chief Frank Milstead told KPHO-TV in Phoenix.

If Ferguson officer wore a camera Another view

They should have cameras that can't be turned off. Or if a camera was turned off just before an incident in question then that should be used as evidence against the officer.

• Banned
No point recording a patrol where nothing happens. Data storage fees probably make the turning of them off more economic. Gonna turn it on every call to document it like. Simple audit of emergency responses to video data aquisitoin will reveal anyone keeping it off maliciously like.

My office has a camera system that stores 24-hour video surveillance on its system for up to 60 days. So it can't be too hard.

It will not help a bit. The cameras will just be racist. There is a surveillance camera film of Mike Brown robbing a convenience store. Did that help? No. The film itself was a "smear" against the good character of Thug Brown. Body cameras on police officers won't fare any better.

My office has a camera system that stores 24-hour video surveillance on its system for up to 60 days. So it can't be too hard.

1 camera then? Ferguson PD hs like 47 sworn officers is it? Bigger departments hundreds or thousands. That's alot of hd with redundant backups as you'd expect. All that storage and insurance costs money. Cams themselves are about a $1000 a piece, time however many officers, plus monthly data storage costs. It adds up.

Where I live all police are so equipped and they are only turned on when you are actually interacting with another person, and if you do interact with someone and intentionally don't turn your camera on, you're fired.

It will not help a bit. The cameras will just be racist. There is a surveillance camera film of Mike Brown robbing a convenience store. Did that help? No. The film itself was a "smear" against the good character of Thug Brown. Body cameras on police officers won't fare any better.

The video of Brown in the store had no bearing on the encounter he had with Wilson.

1 camera then? Ferguson PD hs like 47 sworn officers is it? Bigger departments hundreds or thousands. That's alot of hd with redundant backups as you'd expect. All that storage and insurance costs money. Cams themselves are about a $1000 a piece, time however many officers, plus monthly data storage costs. It adds up.

My office has 16 cameras. Big difference I know but I see no reason for police to have trouble managing it. The article I linked to said the camera's were about $300 - $400 dollars which is expensive but like you mentioned earlier so are lawsuits.

not really....you do realize how little Harddrives go for these days?
1000$? wow someone is getting ripped off. Put a helmet on them and strap a go-pro on them. Seriously your excuse for this can't be money.

The video of Brown in the store had no bearing on the encounter he had with Wilson.

Katz is a nut. You won't be missing much if you put her on ignore.

My office has 16 cameras. Big difference I know but I see no reason for police to have trouble managing it. The article I linked to said the camera's were about $300 - $400 dollars which is expensive but like you mentioned earlier so are lawsuits.

when crime and cop incidents start dropping by 50% the money value is worth it.

1000$? wow someone is getting ripped off. Put a helmet on them and strap a go-pro on them. Seriously your excuse for this can't be money.

Presumedly the departments hire a company for the data storage. They're not walking into a Best Buy or something. And those sort of data storage providers cost money. More so for the high end professional stuff with redundancy which you'd want if you're hanging on to things for use in a legal claim.

Presumedly the departments hire a company for the data storage. They're not walking into a Best Buy or something. And those sort of data storage providers cost money. More so for the high end professional stuff with redundancy which you'd want if you're hanging on to things for use in a legal claim.
yeah its not that much...and most people wont mind it. I rather see my taxes go towards data storage, than tanks

yeah its not that much...and most people wont mind it. I rather see my taxes go towards data storage, than tanks

Our school has 2,000 cameras spread around our campuses and mobile cameras on our buses. We record everything on all cameras from the moment the first child steps on a bus to the moment the last one steps off a bus. It's right around 4TB of storage a month. we use a DVD archive to transfer everything that is over a month old in case we need it at a later date.

The system itself cost $100,000 to fully implement, and the off site data storage company charges us $1K a month to administer the system. That sounds like a lot of money, and it is; but weighed against the safety of our children its' nothing. I know our police department in town contracted with the same company that does our schools shortly after for around the same price.

Now true, we're a small town with small town needs, but scale accordingly

Data storage? SERIOUSLY?! A 32 gig memory stick is $14 retail, so it's probably $8-9 wholesale, less if bought by the pallet.

And not all officers would need cameras...the dude working in the record room and the guy logging evidence probably don't.

Forum List

Back