Tim Walz Accused Of Stolen Valor By Other Members Of His Unit

Nope.

Right-wing media are reviving old smears pushed by political rivals of Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz about his retirement from the military, accusing him of “stolen valor” and misleading their audience about the reality of his 24-year service record with the National Guard. Specifically, right-wing media are claiming that Walz resigned and “abandoned” his National Guard unit and resigned after the unit received deployment orders to go to Iraq when in reality, Walz resigned two months before the unit received orders, and Walz likely submitted his retirement papers even earlier.

According to a copy of his service record obtained by Military.com, Walz enlisted in the Army National Guard in 1981 and reached the rank of command sergeant major before retiring in 2005, following a reenlistment after the September 11, 2001, terror attacks. Walz retired honorably as a master sergeant — a lower rank than command sergeant major — since he did not complete all of the necessary coursework for the higher rank before his service ended. Walz went on to successfully campaign for Congress, where he served for multiple terms, helping veterans exposed to toxins during their military service, sponsoring a veterans suicide prevention bill, and advocating for more GI Bill benefits.

During Walz’s 2018 gubernatorial campaign, retired Command Sgts. Maj. Thomas Behrends and Paul Herr wrote a “paid endorsement letter” just days before the election accusing Walz of “abandon[ing]” his unit in order to run for Congress. Specifically, they claimed that he retired in mid-2005 to dodge a unit deployment to Iraq the following year. This smear was repeated by Walz’s gubernatorial opponent in October 2022.

National Guard Disputes Tim Walz's Military Biography

The Minnesota National Guard is disputing Governor Tim Walz's military biography, saying that the Democratic vice presidential candidate did not hold the rank of command sergeant major at the time of his retirement.

Army Lieutenant Colonel Kristen Augé, the state public affairs officer for Minnesota National Guard, told Just the News on Wednesday that the governor did not retire as "Command Sergeant Major Walz" in 2005, as stated on Minnesota's official website, but as master sergeant "because he did not complete additional coursework at the U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy." A soldier who does not complete the requisite coursework is automatically demoted, according to Army regulations.

-------

Governor Tim Walz

After 24 years in the Army National Guard, Command Sergeant Major Walz retired from the 1-125th Field Artillery Battalion in 2005.

------

Huh. Walz doesn't mention he retired as a master sergeant.

So, yeah, he lied. It really is undeniable.

Someone said he was a Command SGT Major, but I'm reading now that he didn't pass the SGT Major's Academy nor did he achieve the rank of SGT Major.

He was only conditionally assigned the position in a National Guard unit but didn't qualify for the position.

"Minnesota Governor Tim Walz, recently announced as Kamala Harris’ running mate for the 2024 election, has been accused of stolen valor by retired leaders of the Minnesota National Guard.

Retired Command Sergeants Major Thomas Behrends and Paul Herr published a scathing letter in the West Central Tribune, exposing what they claim are significant fabrications and omissions in Walz’s military record.

Walz, who served in the US House of Representatives for 12 years before being elected governor in 2018, has long touted his military service as a key component of his public image.

The retired leaders assert it is their duty to expose what they describe as a pattern of deception regarding Walz’s military career.

Key Points from the Letter:​

• Reenlistment and Academy Enrollment: Tim Walz reenlisted in the Minnesota Army National Guard on September 18, 2001, committing to a six-year term. He was selected to attend the prestigious United States Army Sergeants Major Academy but failed to complete the course, which comes with specific obligations.
  • Deployment and Promotion: In late summer 2003, Walz deployed with the 1-125th Field Artillery Battalion to Italy for Operation Enduring Freedom. Upon returning to Minnesota in 2004, he was conditionally promoted to Command Sergeant Major but did not meet the conditions required for that promotion.
  • Quitting Before Deployment: In early 2005, as his unit prepared for mobilization to Iraq, Walz abruptly quit, leaving his fellow soldiers without leadership. His rationale—claiming he needed to retire to run for Congress—has been challenged by the retired sergeants major, who argue he could have sought permission to run while remaining in service.
  • Misrepresentation of Service: The letter highlights discrepancies in Walz’s statements about his military tenure. While he claims to be the highest-ranking enlisted service member ever to serve in Congress, critics point out that he was only conditionally promoted and subsequently reduced in rank due to his departure from the academy."
Walz announced on 2/10/2005 that he was running for political office. He resigned from the MG in April that year. His unit didn't receive order to deploy for another two months after that, So, it would not have been a surprise.

The information in OP's post is misleading and maybe intentionally false.

National Guard Disputes Tim Walz's Military Biography

The Minnesota National Guard is disputing Governor Tim Walz's military biography, saying that the Democratic vice presidential candidate did not hold the rank of command sergeant major at the time of his retirement.

Army Lieutenant Colonel Kristen Augé, the state public affairs officer for Minnesota National Guard, told Just the News on Wednesday that the governor did not retire as "Command Sergeant Major Walz" in 2005, as stated on Minnesota's official website, but as master sergeant "because he did not complete additional coursework at the U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy." A soldier who does not complete the requisite coursework is automatically demoted, according to Army regulations.

-------

Governor Tim Walz

After 24 years in the Army National Guard, Command Sergeant Major Walz retired from the 1-125th Field Artillery Battalion in 2005.

------

Huh. Walz doesn't mention he retired as a master sergeant.

So, yeah, he lied. It really is undeniable.

He was Command Sergeant Major and he told people he retired as a Master Sergeant "because he did not complete additional coursework at the U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy."

Nope, especially that last part.

His unit did not leave for Iraq till March of 2006, long after he was retired.

The unit did not receive their orders till July of 2005, again after he was retired.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/07/poli...rst mobilized in,during US operations in Iraq.
When did he learn that his unit would be deploying to Iraq? Because getting the formal order is never the first time you hear about a deployment.

Let's find out from the people who knew him:

Here's the truth: He indeed spent 24 years as an enlisted soldier in the Minnesota National Guard. As far as I can tell, he deployed once to Italy and once to Norway. But when it was finally his turn to deploy in the actual Global War on Terror, Walz instead chose his own aspirations over leadership. In a letter posted to Facebook in 2018, veterans from his unit said Walz retired from the National Guard after learning his battalion would be deployed to Iraq—though he assured his troops he would join them.

I suppose those veterans are liars?

When did he learn that his unit would be deploying to Iraq? Because getting the formal order is never the first time you hear about a deployment.

Here's the truth: He indeed spent 24 years as an enlisted soldier in the Minnesota National Guard. As far as I can tell, he deployed once to Italy and once to Norway. But when it was finally his turn to deploy in the actual Global War on Terror, Walz instead chose his own aspirations over leadership. In a letter posted to Facebook in 2018, veterans from his unit said Walz retired from the National Guard after learning his battalion would be deployed to Iraq—though he assured his troops he would join them.

Is that the paid letter?

The swiftboaters?

It's their politically biased opinion, nothing more.

I'll bet none of the "people who served with him" ever asked him that question. If he chose to run for political office that was his decision and only his decision...so you can mind your own damn business.

He was Command Sergeant Major and he told people he retired as a Master Sergeant "because he did not complete additional coursework at the U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy."
By 2005, Tim Walz had logged 24 years with the Army National Guard and earned the rank of command sergeant major -- the highest enlisted rank for his unit and one with considerable responsibility. But "because he did not complete additional coursework at the U.S. Army Sergeants Major Academy" he was retired as Master Sergeant

According to records by the National Guard, the 1st Battalion of the 125th Field Artillery received an alert order on July 14, 2005, – two months after Walz retired. The mobilization order came in August and the unit mobilized in October.

Joseph Eustice, another retired command sergeant major who served with Walz, tells ABC News that while there was speculation of a deployment around that time there was no firm indication that Walz’s unit would be sent to Iraq until that July alert order.

Eustice says he remembers Walz struggling with the timing of wanting to serve as a lawmaker but also avoiding asking for a deferment so he could do so.

"He had a window of time. He had to decide. And in his deciding, we were not on notice to be deployed. There were rumors. There were lots of rumors, and we didn't know where we were going until it was later that, early summer, I believe,” Eustice told ABC News.

I have. Meanwhile, you lot screech about Gateway Pundit instead of trying to refute a point.
Vance said Walz as a command sergeant major at the time shouldn’t have allowed his unit to deploy without him.

"I think it's shameful to prepare [a] unit to go to Iraq to make a promise that you're going to follow through and then to drop out right before you actually have to go. I also think it's dishonest,” Vance said.

Vance also accused Walz of feigning a record in active combat: "[Walz] said - and he was making a point about gun control - he said, ‘we shouldn't allow weapons that I used in war, to be on America's streets.' Well, I wonder, Tim Walz, when you ever in war?"

The senator actually misquoted Walz in his screed. In the clip Vance was referencing, Walz says that he "carried" weapons in war, not "used." Given that Operation Enduring Freedom was a part of the post-9/11 War on Terror, and that Walz was deployed to Italy under it - and likely had a service weapon - the claim that he is engaging in "stolen valor" holds little water.

I have seen no evidence of a "paid letter," but you are free to provide proof, or continue to slander real combat vets. Gosh, I wonder which you will choose . . .
Dang..does a halo come with the 'combat vet' designation?

I appear to have misplaced mine~

I have seen no evidence of a "paid letter," but you are free to provide proof, or continue to slander real combat vets. Gosh, I wonder which you will choose . . .
“You abandoned your unit right before they went to Iraq,” Mr. Vance said.

Mr. Vance based his accusations on a Facebook post from 2018, and a paid letter to the editor to The West Central Tribune that same year in which the writers, Thomas Behrends and Paul Herr, both retired command sergeant majors in the Minnesota National Guard, accused Mr. Walz of “conveniently retiring a year before his battalion was deployed to Iraq.”

The criticisms were first leveled by Mr. Behrends and Mr. Herr during Mr. Walz’s first campaign for governor.

But Joseph Eustice, a 32-year veteran of the national guard who led the same battalion as Mr. Walz and served under him, said in an interview on Wednesday that the governor was a dependable soldier and that the attacks by his fellow comrades were unfounded.

“He was as good a soldier as you’d find, and to have two former sergeant majors say that he wasn’t, it’s just not true,” Mr. Eustice said, adding that he disagreed with Mr. Walz’s politics and most likely would not vote for him in November even though they were friends.

Mr. Eustice recalled that Mr. Walz’s decision to run for Congress came months before the battalion received any official notice of deployment, though he said there had been rumors that it might be deployed.

Vance said Walz as a command sergeant major at the time shouldn’t have allowed his unit to deploy without him.

"I think it's shameful to prepare [a] unit to go to Iraq to make a promise that you're going to follow through and then to drop out right before you actually have to go. I also think it's dishonest,” Vance said.
Yes, if Walz had carried through on his promise to serve his unit as an acting Command Sergeant Major even after and especially after learnign they were to be deployed to a combat zone, no one would object to his calling himself one forever. Especially if he also truthfull said he retired as a MSG. If you ran away when your unit needed you, you have nothing to brag about.

Loser

fail text 1.jpg

Yes, if Walz had carried through on his promise to serve his unit as an acting Command Sergeant Major even after and especially after learnign they were to be deployed to a combat zone, no one would object to his calling himself one forever. Especially if he also truthfull said he retired as a MSG. If you ran away when your unit needed you, you have nothing to brag about.
According to records by the National Guard, the 1st Battalion of the 125th Field Artillery received an alert order on July 14, 2005, – two months after Walz retired. The mobilization order came in August and the unit mobilized in October.

Joseph Eustice, another retired command sergeant major who served with Walz, tells ABC News that while there was speculation of a deployment around that time there was no firm indication that Walz’s unit would be sent to Iraq until that July alert order.

Eustice says he remembers Walz struggling with the timing of wanting to serve as a lawmaker but also avoiding asking for a deferment so he could do so.

"He had a window of time. He had to decide. And in his deciding, we were not on notice to be deployed. There were rumors. There were lots of rumors, and we didn't know where we were going until it was later that, early summer, I believe,” Eustice told ABC News.

Forum List

Back