Firearms and tourists

irishbambi

Rookie
Jun 24, 2014
Hi,

Can anybody tell me if they know whether tourists visiting the U.S.A have the right to use guns to defend themselves? I am not asking if a non-resident can buy a gun- but if a non-U.s citizen was attacked in their hotel/holidayhome, and a gun was lying around (not their gun) , could they use it per the terms of 'Stand your ground' legislation?

Any info would be appreciated,

Thanks

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if they know whether tourists visiting the U.S.A have the right to use guns to defend themselves? I am not asking if a non-resident can buy a gun- but if a non-U.s citizen was attacked in their hotel/holidayhome, and a gun was lying around (not their gun) , could they use it per the terms of 'Stand your ground' legislation?

Thanks

In court -- you'd never get to the "stand your ground" claim. Every bit of legal interest would be on the gun "just lying around" your hotel room..

if a non-U.s citizen was attacked in their hotel/holiday home, and a gun was lying around (not their gun) , could they use it per the terms of 'Stand your ground' legislation?

You bring up a good point. Just the other day, I was walking my dog and I tripped over several guns lying around on the sidewalk. Damned nuisance it is. And they were all loaded with a round in the chamber with the safeties off.

Later, the same day, I was in the check out lane in the supermarket. Suddenly, the moving belt that moved my items to the cashier jammed. Yep. You guessed it. It was clogged with loaded guns. Dozens of them. Who knows where they came from but there they were. A maintenance man had to come and repair the moving belt so the check out line could resume business. He had a wheelbarrow to cart away the loaded guns. It happens so much, he keeps the wheelbarrow handy.

This problem of loaded guns lying around must be addressed. My neighbor was recently injured because of this problem. She's a floor nurse at a children's hospital in town. She was going to the store room to retrieve a sedative for a sick child. When she used her key to unlock the secure storage room, the door burst open and hundreds of loaded guns spilled over her crushing her to the ground. All of the guns were loaded and primed to "stand somebody's ground". If only more people would pick up all these "guns lying around" and use them to "stand their ground", we'd reduce the clutter.

The only reason I'm posting tonight is because I was going to go the movies. But when I opened my garage door to back out my car, there was a huge pile of loaded guns blocking my way. I had to call the CLGRS (City Loaded Gun Removal Service). Unfortunately, their huge fleet of dump trucks were busy with other calls. I'd have to wait. So I decided to stay in for the night.

You can see what a problem this is. These guns lying around are interrupting the lives of millions.

Sarcasm off:

In all seriousness: If you're a tourist in the USA. Keep your eyes open. Stay out of bad areas. Call the police. Don't touch firearms as a foreigner.

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks

Wow you really hate guns don't you one post wonder?

Last edited:
Hi,

Thanks

I have never heard of anything like this. I live in Orlando, the heart of the tourist industry.

I do not see why you would not be able to defend yourself if attacked. All of our other laws apply to tourists, I don't see why Stand Your Ground wouldn't. Unless of course you shoot a black man or woman. Then you are up shit creek without a paddle.

Actually, tourists are uninformed and untrained in firearm safety. Once, I was guiding a group of German tourists and one of them wanted to buy a .45 pistol and accessories. He managed to convince one of the locals to purchase said firearm and to hand it over to him. Of course, he was not expecting the effect of a .45 and he was injured by the recoil. Funny, the pistol ended up as a "tip".
Assholes.

Actually, tourists are uninformed and untrained in firearm safety. Once, I was guiding a group of German tourists and one of them wanted to buy a .45 pistol and accessories. He managed to convince one of the locals to purchase said firearm and to hand it over to him. Of course, he was not expecting the effect of a .45 and he was injured by the recoil. Funny, the pistol ended up as a "tip".
Assholes.

Well, lol, and then there's that.

Hi,

Thanks

Depends on what part of the country you are in.

Places like Texas, Florida, North and South Carolina well heck..anywhere in the south are "right to shoot" places. You are given a shootin' iron and a cowboy hat at the airport and wished well. "Good huntin'" they say.

In the North of America, most of the states are sane. So you can't just shoot human beings.

Hi,

Thanks

Depends on what part of the country you are in.

Places like Texas, Florida, North and South Carolina well heck..anywhere in the south are "right to shoot" places. You are given a shootin' iron and a cowboy hat at the airport and wished well. "Good huntin'" they say.

In the North of America, most of the states are sane. So you can't just shoot human beings.

Thank God I live in Florida.

Hi,

Thanks

Your question would vary from state to state because each state has their own tolerance level.

You can defend yourself. The question will be whether you can use a firearm or not because you aren't registered.

You aren't from around here so I'm guessing they don't care because you don't vote so they will lock you up.

Hi,

Thanks

A gun owner in Pennsylvania said you can't shoot someone above the waist because it is the law.

I don't know the particular law so I suggest you look it up. If it is true, you are going to jail if you miss or don't know the law.

Permit to transit the U.S. with a firearm/ammunition

If I am transiting the U.S. with a firearm, do I need a permit?

Generally, if a nonimmigrant alien is transiting the United States with a firearm they are not required to have an ATF Form 6NIA or a DSP-61 issued by the State Department. You must be in physical possession of your firearm, however you will need to meet one of the exceptions outlined at 18 U.S.C. 922 (y). For example if you are a nonimmigrant alien and you will be driving through the United States as a short cut to get from one part of Canada to another and will have firearms with you, you do not need to file an ATF Form 6NIA because you are not temporarily bringing your gun in for hunting or other lawful sporting purposes. You also do not need a DSP-61 import license from the State Department because there is an exception to their license requirement that applies in this situation. However, please note that even if you qualify for one of the exceptions from the ATF and State Department requirements, you may need to have a valid hunting license from a State within the United States to make your possession of the firearm legal while you are in the United States (even if you will not hunt while in the U.S.). NOTE: Canadians are no longer required to have a hunting license to just transit the United States with a firearm. However, if while transiting the United States, you want to use your firearm to hunt in the United States, you must obtain a valid hunting license from the appropriate State.

You must ensure there are no State or local laws in any State you will be travelling in or travelling through prohibiting your possession of the firearm(s) or ammunition.

For more information, Contact ATF.

NOTE: See Royal Canadian Mounted Police RCMP web site for changes to the Canadian Firearms Program.

If you wish to receive automatic updates to this Q&A, select "Subscribe to Updates" on the left side of this screen.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/de...to-transit-the-u.s.-with-a-firearm/ammunition

Forum List

Back