Florida power official makes unheard of prediction for crippled electrical grid

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
Even in a state used to hurricane damage, the power and scope of Hurricane Irma was unprecedented as it swept through Florida, and the recovery effort is likely going to be unprecedented too, especially when it comes to restoring electric power to the Sunshine State’s battered residents.

Florida Power Official Makes Unheard-of Prediction for Crippled Electrical Grid
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing is for sure it would suck to go weeks without power. It could be like a grid down situation for certain areas who live there and things don't end well in places where there is no power for awhile.

Yeah they really have it tough...........

westward.jpg

6433685d326e96dedb2470cb167019d9--mormon-pioneers-mormon-history.jpg

i saw a 50 year old woman a couple days ago , she was being housed in a shelter and was complaining on tv that all she had had for breakfast was dry cereal and milk . I thought it was funny . [poor baby] ---------------- just a comment Ringel .

no power means no 'ac' like i imagine it was 70 years ago . NO 'AC' except for rich guys and President Trump i suppose .

No cooking, as it rained three straight days, no phone calls except cell, pharmacies and grocery stores closed two-two 1/2 days, no electricity for 27 hours here, 40+ outside of town. Local phone company not taking calls, Courthouse closed three weekdays.

westward.jpg

I love power failures myself. A whole lot of artificial crap goes away and the world gets real for however long one gets to enjoy it. Makes you feel alive.
---------------------------------------------------------------- and Floridians got lots of guns to clean up and preserve in that Florida humidity .

westward.jpg

I love power failures myself. A whole lot of artificial crap goes away and the world gets real for however long one gets to enjoy it. Makes you feel alive.
---------------------------------------------------------------- and Floridians got lots of guns to clean up and preserve in that Florida humidity .

Actually I don't think guns have anything to do with power grids.

What are you gonna do -- go to the power station and threaten to shoot 'em if they don't let you run your blender?

westward.jpg

LMAO you wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground when and if the entire grid went down.

You would be waiting for the Gov. to come on tv telling you what to do and how to do it LOL.

Get it a " TV" when there is no power.

Last edited:
naw , i'm going to clean them , keep them oiled and in good condition and admire their mechanical beauty and be glad that i have the RIGHT to own them . Heck , with minimal but good care a gun like a Ruger or S+W in any model in stainless steel [though i prefer blued] should last a thousand years or more Pogo .

Even in a state used to hurricane damage, the power and scope of Hurricane Irma was unprecedented as it swept through Florida, and the recovery effort is likely going to be unprecedented too, especially when it comes to restoring electric power to the Sunshine State’s battered residents.

Florida Power Official Makes Unheard-of Prediction for Crippled Electrical Grid
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One thing is for sure it would suck to go weeks without power. It could be like a grid down situation for certain areas who live there and things don't end well in places where there is no power for awhile.
What's the problem....it's just a glorifed thunderstorm......

westward.jpg

LMAO you wouldn't know your ass from a hole in the ground when and if the entire grid went down.

You would be waiting for the Gov. to come on tv telling you what to do and how to do it LOL.

Get it a " TV" when there is no power.
Welp, didn't think it was possible but you've sunk to a new low of pathetic. Care to double down?

Irma made me realize how spoiled some people are. I swear to god I must have read 9-10 of my friends on Facebook saying how glad they were yesterday and/or today to "finally" stuff their faces with hot/fast food. Ridiculous you'd think they were holocaust survivors or something. SMFH.

FEMA: Irma Destroyed 25% of Houses in the Florida Keys, Damaged Another 65%

5 dead thus far in Florida, in Jacksonville, 350 rescued, Jax got massive rain, heavy flooding. I do not care for involuntary power outages along with 60+ mph winds and torrential rains. Just a quirk of mine I guess. ; )

We become accustomed to the conveniences we live with.

Power outages are all about being prepared.

IDK what the "standards" are in Florida, but up here it's pretty standard to have a backup of some kind for outages. We don't have any interconnectivity as there's only one power line/grid that serves this part of the state. We used to have at least one week-ish power outage a year and we've gone without for up to 2 weeks in the past; the power company did a stellar job last time they improved the lines and stuff around here though. I think the longest outage we've had since that upgrade was 6 hours. They just went through last week and put in new meters for everyone that have signals for each individual house, it'll help them pin point exactly where the line break or transistor failure is so they can fix it straight away (previously they had to basically drive down every line in the area to track down that stuff,) plus they won't have to send folks out to eyeball the meters in-person anymore since each houses meter is basically connected to a network through the existing wires and can be "called" up, also they'll get an alarm if any house loses power.
(Linksys has a thing called PowerLine that does something similar for the interent, had it for my kido upstairs. It uses the houses electrical wiring to connect to the router - it was slightly faster than wi-fi, until I got a 5GHz wireless router.)

Anyway, up here it's pretty standard to have a woodstove or fireplace for heat just in case - which is the main issue for us here (heat in the winter and cooking) Down there... wet rags over the windows and pray for a breeze? At least that's what we do when it gets over 80F up here heh

Last edited:
You know, I never really thought much about it, but there are a whole bunch of elderly people living in FL, and people that age can sometimes require oxygen generating machines to help them breathe.

One of the reasons that a lot of elder care facilities decided to shelter their old people in place was because if they get moved, they are 4 times more likely to die than if they sheltered in place.

And then, there are the Alzheimer's patients who get really stressed out when they are presented with new or unfamiliar places and people.

FEMA: Irma Destroyed 25% of Houses in the Florida Keys, Damaged Another 65%

5 dead thus far in Florida, in Jacksonville, 350 rescued, Jax got massive rain, heavy flooding. I do not care for involuntary power outages along with 60+ mph winds and torrential rains. Just a quirk of mine I guess. ; )

We become accustomed to the conveniences we live with.
----------------------------------------- so it hurts when you lose them eh , time to toughen up i guess Peach .

i saw a 50 year old woman a couple days ago , she was being housed in a shelter and was complaining on tv that all she had had for breakfast was dry cereal and milk . I thought it was funny . [poor baby] ---------------- just a comment Ringel .
It's all in what we're used to. I used to do reenacting and living history, there were times I would literally live in the 1800s for up to two weeks. That sometimes required a lot of work and we're not talking about traveling in the early to mid 1800s.
No phone, no computer, no Colman anything, eating what they ate, wearing what they wore, sleeping on the ground or in rope beds, walking in leather soled booties that resembled walking on ice when the grass was wet with dew.
When I came home the wife would make me strip in the back yard and leave all my period clothing outside to air out, I would have to wash at least three times to get the wood smoke smell off of me.

Forum List

Back