For those worried that Alaska is warming

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
A major early snowstorm hit Northern Alaska. Fairbanks had 6.7″ yesterday (Fri.). That obliterated the previous daily snowfall record of 0.8″. Just north of Fairbanks, 9″ was recorded. Here’s more snowfall totals. A record low was set at Kodiak AK at 29 and small hail fell at Annette. Barrow reported 1″ of snow on the ground and Bettles had 3″. Gulkana had a low of 17. Arctic Village reported a temp. of 19 and a wind chill of +9. The high temp. of 34 in Fairbanks was 15 deg. cooler than the average high of 49 for 9/25. Alaska temperature anomaly is often the opposite of the Great Lakes. When there is a ridge over Alaska, there is often a trough over the Great Lakes and vice versa. Here’s snow in Coldfoot AK. Another wintry scene from Fairbanks.

Alaska’s a big state and all but one of the first order climate stations here is reporting colder than average temps. so far this Sept: Nome -2.6, Anchorage -2.0, Bethel -2.0, Fairbanks -1.9, Barrow -1.9, King Salmon -1.9, Kotzebue -1.7, McGrath -1.6, Annette -1.2, Yakutat -1.1, Kodiak +0.2. Look at how snow is accumulating in Alaska, the Yukon Territory and Russia.

Anchorage, south central, is expecting 2-6" in the first week of October. The past oh ten years or so we've not gotten snow until the /end/ of October.

I was kind of hoping for the global warming thing, I really like being able to park outside and just run out to do something instead of letting my car warm up for 10-15 minutes just so I can clear the interior ice fog (even if I scrape the windows >.<) Snow sucks, ya'll lower 48ers need to make more greenhouse :/

A major early snowstorm hit Northern Alaska. Fairbanks had 6.7″ yesterday (Fri.). That obliterated the previous daily snowfall record of 0.8″. Just north of Fairbanks, 9″ was recorded. Here’s more snowfall totals. A record low was set at Kodiak AK at 29 and small hail fell at Annette. Barrow reported 1″ of snow on the ground and Bettles had 3″. Gulkana had a low of 17. Arctic Village reported a temp. of 19 and a wind chill of +9. The high temp. of 34 in Fairbanks was 15 deg. cooler than the average high of 49 for 9/25. Alaska temperature anomaly is often the opposite of the Great Lakes. When there is a ridge over Alaska, there is often a trough over the Great Lakes and vice versa. Here’s snow in Coldfoot AK. Another wintry scene from Fairbanks.

Alaska’s a big state and all but one of the first order climate stations here is reporting colder than average temps. so far this Sept: Nome -2.6, Anchorage -2.0, Bethel -2.0, Fairbanks -1.9, Barrow -1.9, King Salmon -1.9, Kotzebue -1.7, McGrath -1.6, Annette -1.2, Yakutat -1.1, Kodiak +0.2. Look at how snow is accumulating in Alaska, the Yukon Territory and Russia.

I remember the packed ice on the roads being at least 21" all winter. You have to learn to drive all over again. Car blocks had to be plugged in when parked to keep them from freezing. NEVER touch metal with your bare hand. Sneakers and shoes were foreboden, everyone wore boots and mukluks. Bunny boots weigh a ton after trudging through snow for hours, but your feet won't be frostbit

Moose and bear used to wander through the streets downtown much of the year.

Never hit a moose while driving, you will loose. Never drive between a moose and its young, your car will likely be totaled

There are places up here where if you turn off your car at all during the winter, it won't start again until spring; if the ice doesn't destroy your radiator (and that's with super antifreeze) it gets so cold that the OIL and transmission fluid freezes, that's fucked up...

We get about 20 below for maybe a month or two, I think the coldest I can remember the past 40 years is like 35 below.

Also yea, hitting moose while driving... Shitty, but it's practically a right of passage if you live up here >.<

I almost lost my husband to one a few years ago. If it wasn't for Subaru's non-framed windows (ie the window was able to flex outside the vehicle) he would have had his skull smashed in... As it stands he just broke his neck, lost a 3" x 2" section of his scalp, and has a scar on his neck from where the roof went in...

234pM85.jpg
pIgZ69M.jpg

Husband says he had cruise control at like 65-68mph but he can't remember anything from about 5min before the accident until like 15mins after when he got out of the car and waited for the ambulance to get there. The moose, which was a rather small one, prob. would have survived if it hadn't broken it's leg; they put it down.

I hit my moose when I was 16, my ex and I were only going about 35mph but the moose and him were on the same wave length both trying to avoid the accident. That was before seatbelts were the law too, I blacked out just before impact (though I remember all the dodging and weaving right up until I thought "nope we're hitting it") I remember putting my hand on the dashboard specifically so I didn't go through the windshield though lol The impact threw our 78' chevy stepside (with a 350 big block) back into the far ditch, was a good 40' foot between us and the moose even at that slow a speed. We'd just finished the truck that summer too, new paint, engine, everything :(

My father hit his at about the same place my husband did, but he was going the opposite direction. He was driving a Ford F250 pickup, the moose got "scooped" up, bounced off the hood, and landed on the canopy in the full size bed. Father had a little whiplash, but that was about it. He had the truck fixed (basically just needed a new front bumper, hood, air cleaner housing, and canopy, but he said it never drove the same so he'd sold it, said it had a shimmy and he thinks it warped the frame.

Good friend of ours hit his on a Harley; we still debate if it's good or not. He was able to dive off the bike before impact so basically just hitting the road at w/e speed (he was doing 55mph but obviously trying to stop, doesn't know how fast he was going when he jumped) He actually faired well considering, some scrapes and bruises and stuff, but that's pretty much it; didn't even go to the hospital.

I remember like three Seniors at my HS had died hitting moose one school year; was a really heavy snow year so the moose were all over the roads. If they update the signs correctly we average like 300ish moose hit a year, but that year it was like 500...

I think the only person I know who /hasn't/ hit a moose is my mother, they've moved to Nevada; cause moving from the arctic to the desert is apparently a thing with their circle of friends heh

There are places up here where if you turn off your car at all during the winter, it won't start again until spring; if the ice doesn't destroy your radiator (and that's with super antifreeze) it gets so cold that the OIL and transmission fluid freezes, that's fucked up...

We get about 20 below for maybe a month or two, I think the coldest I can remember the past 40 years is like 35 below.

Also yea, hitting moose while driving... Shitty, but it's practically a right of passage if you live up here >.<

I almost lost my husband to one a few years ago. If it wasn't for Subaru's non-framed windows (ie the window was able to flex outside the vehicle) he would have had his skull smashed in... As it stands he just broke his neck, lost a 3" x 2" section of his scalp, and has a scar on his neck from where the roof went in...

234pM85.jpg
pIgZ69M.jpg

Husband says he had cruise control at like 65-68mph but he can't remember anything from about 5min before the accident until like 15mins after when he got out of the car and waited for the ambulance to get there. The moose, which was a rather small one, prob. would have survived if it hadn't broken it's leg; they put it down.

I hit my moose when I was 16, my ex and I were only going about 35mph but the moose and him were on the same wave length both trying to avoid the accident. That was before seatbelts were the law too, I blacked out just before impact (though I remember all the dodging and weaving right up until I thought "nope we're hitting it") I remember putting my hand on the dashboard specifically so I didn't go through the windshield though lol The impact threw our 78' chevy stepside (with a 350 big block) back into the far ditch, was a good 40' foot between us and the moose even at that slow a speed. We'd just finished the truck that summer too, new paint, engine, everything :(

My father hit his at about the same place my husband did, but he was going the opposite direction. He was driving a Ford F250 pickup, the moose got "scooped" up, bounced off the hood, and landed on the canopy in the full size bed. Father had a little whiplash, but that was about it. He had the truck fixed (basically just needed a new front bumper, hood, air cleaner housing, and canopy, but he said it never drove the same so he'd sold it, said it had a shimmy and he thinks it warped the frame.

Good friend of ours hit his on a Harley; we still debate if it's good or not. He was able to dive off the bike before impact so basically just hitting the road at w/e speed (he was doing 55mph but obviously trying to stop, doesn't know how fast he was going when he jumped) He actually faired well considering, some scrapes and bruises and stuff, but that's pretty much it; didn't even go to the hospital.

I remember like three Seniors at my HS had died hitting moose one school year; was a really heavy snow year so the moose were all over the roads. If they update the signs correctly we average like 300ish moose hit a year, but that year it was like 500...

I think the only person I know who /hasn't/ hit a moose is my mother, they've moved to Nevada; cause moving from the arctic to the desert is apparently a thing with their circle of friends heh

Interesting. Thank you for sharing. I've seen one by coincidence at least 20 ( I think ) minutes after a fatal accident when I was in Southern California back in 97 or 98 north bound 241 fwy. it's a new fwy cutting through a big portion of uninhabited mountains. A woman driving at high speed down hill trying to avoid a deer her car flipped the driver died. I think the passenger survive or a witness was able to tell the story. It was on the news an hour later.

I've only seen one moose accident (other than the one I was involved in and blacked out.) We'd seen the moose but the person in front of us apparently hadn't. We were both screaming at the guy to stop but he never did >.< I sometimes think if I'd been driving instead of my co-worker then maybe flashing the lights or honking could have woke him up... Though I suppose more likely it would have just pulled his eyes to the rearview mirror and ended the same, I'd be thinking that maybe if I hadn't honked/flashed he would have seen the moose. My chest still hurts a bit when I think about that one; he was Air Force and had four kids, the youngest were 3 month old twins. :(

temperature-figure3-2015.png

Share this indicator:

Web update: June 2015

This figure shows how annual average air temperatures have changed in different parts of the United States since the early 20th century (since 1901 for the contiguous 48 states and 1925 for Alaska). The data are shown for climate divisions, as defined by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

U.S. and Global Temperature | Climate Change | US EPA

Yes, celebrate an early snowstorm. It is about all that nature is going to give you as Alaska and the rest of the world warms.

234pM85.jpg
pIgZ69M.jpg

Most parking has electricity to plug the block heater into. A must. It is very different than living in the lower 48.

In summer it's tinfoil on the windows and hummingbird mosquitoes

Jerky, venison or fish, is not a snack, its a staple.

You don't always hit the moose, sometimes the moose hits you.

I've only seen one moose accident (other than the one I was involved in and blacked out.) We'd seen the moose but the person in front of us apparently hadn't. We were both screaming at the guy to stop but he never did >.< I sometimes think if I'd been driving instead of my co-worker then maybe flashing the lights or honking could have woke him up... Though I suppose more likely it would have just pulled his eyes to the rearview mirror and ended the same, I'd be thinking that maybe if I hadn't honked/flashed he would have seen the moose. My chest still hurts a bit when I think about that one; he was Air Force and had four kids, the youngest were 3 month old twins. :(

and the moose walked away................

Moose died in that case, guy was driving a big truck and pretty much wrapped the engine compartment around the moose (I have to guess the engine ended up in his lap, might even be what "technically" killed him)

As for plugging in, heh maybe in the cities they have plug in's at home (the smart ones have garages heh), but I was talking way out of the city. There's only so much you can do really, oil heater, antifreeze, and battery warmers eventually just can't keep up with the cold. I'm sure it's prob. cheaper to burn gov subsidized fuel than electricity in some places as well. Though either way, even in south central Jan and Feb is "snakes on the road" season (the belts snap in the cold and fall out on the highway; which ultimately means your alternator isn't recharging the battery which drains it and it'll freeze solid on you if you turn it off) and we're only getting to like 20 below, places like Fairbanks (second largest city in the state) regularly hits 50 below (they're in the center of the state,) and up on the oil fields (far north of the state) they'll get 70 below pretty regular (I hear they're running [waste] nat gas conversions up on the slope though so it'd be pretty much free to run the vehicles 24/7 up there.)

I was kind of chuckling the other day cause they did an article about how many villages still didn't have running water in the bush, and I was kind of thinking to myself that some of them prefer the outhouse because there's no pipes to freeze and burst then. I live only 10miles north of the big city and they had to run heat into our basement plus heat tape all them to avoid frozen pipes, previous owners had to replace the septic tank before we'd looked at/bought this place cause it'd frozen and ruptured from non-use before they could sell it (I think it was also undersize or something too cause there's usually not enough liquid to freeze and rupture like they said this one had, but who knows with the way this place was built.) I love this house (now,) is a 1978 French Tudor, but it was in a world of hurt for being anywhere near "energy efficient" when we bought it; we've put /at least/ 30k into winterizing the place so it's way better, but I remember the first winter we had it the wind blew straight through the damn thing; no tyvek, the windows and doors all leaked, and they had mixed in newspaper with insulation when they built it. We had to run the wood stove pretty much all winter just to make it comfortable temps inside and if the wind picked up forget it and grab some blankets. Now we can heat the entire place with just the wood stove if we want/need to (we're on an offshoot electrical line with only like 10 people so not only do we lose power a lot which shuts down boiler even though it's nat gas, but it'll be out for 11 or 12 days and shit before they "get around" to fixing it. Priorities and all. On the plus side, they're gonna put in a electrical sub-station because we're getting a school on our street soon so that'll be a thing of the past \o/)

Moose died in that case, guy was driving a big truck and pretty much wrapped the engine compartment around the moose (I have to guess the engine ended up in his lap, might even be what "technically" killed him)

As for plugging in, heh maybe in the cities they have plug in's at home (the smart ones have garages heh), but I was talking way out of the city. There's only so much you can do really, oil heater, antifreeze, and battery warmers eventually just can't keep up with the cold. I'm sure it's prob. cheaper to burn gov subsidized fuel than electricity in some places as well. Though either way, even in south central Jan and Feb is "snakes on the road" season (the belts snap in the cold and fall out on the highway; which ultimately means your alternator isn't recharging the battery which drains it and it'll freeze solid on you if you turn it off) and we're only getting to like 20 below, places like Fairbanks (second largest city in the state) regularly hits 50 below (they're in the center of the state,) and up on the oil fields (far north of the state) they'll get 70 below pretty regular (I hear they're running [waste] nat gas conversions up on the slope though so it'd be pretty much free to run the vehicles 24/7 up there.)

I was kind of chuckling the other day cause they did an article about how many villages still didn't have running water in the bush, and I was kind of thinking to myself that some of them prefer the outhouse because there's no pipes to freeze and burst then. I live only 10miles north of the big city and they had to run heat into our basement plus heat tape all them to avoid frozen pipes, previous owners had to replace the septic tank before we'd looked at/bought this place cause it'd frozen and ruptured from non-use before they could sell it (I think it was also undersize or something too cause there's usually not enough liquid to freeze and rupture like they said this one had, but who knows with the way this place was built.) I love this house (now,) is a 1978 French Tudor, but it was in a world of hurt for being anywhere near "energy efficient" when we bought it; we've put /at least/ 30k into winterizing the place so it's way better, but I remember the first winter we had it the wind blew straight through the damn thing; no tyvek, the windows and doors all leaked, and they had mixed in newspaper with insulation when they built it. We had to run the wood stove pretty much all winter just to make it comfortable temps inside and if the wind picked up forget it and grab some blankets. Now we can heat the entire place with just the wood stove if we want/need to (we're on an offshoot electrical line with only like 10 people so not only do we lose power a lot which shuts down boiler even though it's nat gas, but it'll be out for 11 or 12 days and shit before they "get around" to fixing it. Priorities and all. On the plus side, they're gonna put in a electrical sub-station because we're getting a school on our street soon so that'll be a thing of the past \o/)

I've seen them walk away from totaling cars and buses. No, a semi might be its match.

Most Alaskans give the moose the right of way

Forum List

Back