Foreign Affairs Minister: 'I don't want Irish troops sucked into Syrian civil war'

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Looks like the Israeli soldiers helped out the Irish UN contingent.

News Irish News
Sunday 7 September 2014

Foreign Affairs Minister: 'I don't want Irish troops sucked into Syrian civil war'

Irish soldiers would have been killed or taken hostage by Islamist extremists last week

Jim Cusack and John Drennan
PUBLISHED07/09/2014 | 02:30
2014-09-06_lif_3209773_I1.JPG

Members of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) ride armoured personnel carriers (APCs) past Israel soldiers in the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights
The fate of Ireland's mission in the Golan Heights is hanging in the balance this weekend, as Foreign Affairs Minister Charlie Flanagan bluntly declared he did not want our UN troops sucked into "a Syrian civil war".

As the viability of the UN mission faces urgent review Mr Flanagan reflected the deep Government unease by saying: "This is a crisis; the situation remains extremely tense and my department is in daily contact with the UN.

"The timescale of the UN review of the ongoing viability of the mission is short-term and urgent. We don't want to see Irish troops or the UN contingent being drawn into a Syrian civil war," he said.

The Sunday Independent has now established from senior sources that Irish soldiers would have been killed or taken hostage by Islamist extremists if it wasn't for the military intervention of the Israeli army during last week's battle to save besieged UN soldiers.

- See more at:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...r-i-dont-want-irish-troops-sucked-into-syrian

Forum List

Back