France charges Assad’s uncle with graft

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
I wonder if someone in Germany will take the time to pay a regular visit to this guy when he goes to prison.

Andréa Bambino | AFP | Published — Tuesday 28 June 2016

assad.jpg

Syrian President Bashar Assad speaks with his loyalist forces during his visit to the front line in the Damascus suburb of Marj al-Sultan on June 26, 2016. Assad’s uncle Rifaat Assad has been charged with receiving embezzled funds and tax fraud in France. (SANA via AP)

PARIS: Syrian President Bashar Assad’s uncle, suspected of using ill-gotten gains to build a real estate empire in France, has been charged with corruption, a judicial source said Tuesday.
Rifaat Assad, 78, who commanded Syria’s notorious internal security forces in the 1970s and early 1980s, was charged on June 9 with receiving embezzled funds and tax fraud, the source told AFP.
In the probe, headed by prominent political graft buster Renaud van Ruymbeke, investigators estimated that Rifaat and his family amassed 90 million euros ($100 million) worth of real estate in France, mainly through companies registered in Luxembourg, between 1984 and 1988.
The properties include a chateau and stud farm north of Paris, two mansions, two apartment blocks and a plot of land in the French capital as well as offices in southern Lyon.
Rifaat, who has four wives, told investigators he “had nothing” when he left Syria, having always given his wages away to the poor, according to a source close to the investigation.

Continue reading at:

I wonder if someone in Germany will take the time to pay a regular visit to this guy when he goes to prison.

assad.jpg

Syrian President Bashar Assad speaks with his loyalist forces during his visit to the front line in the Damascus suburb of Marj al-Sultan on June 26, 2016. Assad’s uncle Rifaat Assad has been charged with receiving embezzled funds and tax fraud in France. (SANA via AP)

PARIS: Syrian President Bashar Assad’s uncle, suspected of using ill-gotten gains to build a real estate empire in France, has been charged with corruption, a judicial source said Tuesday.
Rifaat Assad, 78, who commanded Syria’s notorious internal security forces in the 1970s and early 1980s, was charged on June 9 with receiving embezzled funds and tax fraud, the source told AFP.
In the probe, headed by prominent political graft buster Renaud van Ruymbeke, investigators estimated that Rifaat and his family amassed 90 million euros ($100 million) worth of real estate in France, mainly through companies registered in Luxembourg, between 1984 and 1988.
The properties include a chateau and stud farm north of Paris, two mansions, two apartment blocks and a plot of land in the French capital as well as offices in southern Lyon.
Rifaat, who has four wives, told investigators he “had nothing” when he left Syria, having always given his wages away to the poor, according to a source close to the investigation.

Continue reading at:

I am fascinated-----polygamy is ok in Baathist Syria?

assad.jpg

Continue reading at:

Since Assad's boyfriend knows all about Syria, perhaps he can tell us.

assad.jpg

Continue reading at:

Since Assad's boyfriend knows all about Syria, perhaps he can tell us.

I googled------polygamy is ok in Syria. This is a problem---
polygamy is THEORETICALLY a bar to US citizenship.
I wonder if coyote can tell us if that issue gets "VETTED"

Forum List

Back