Garlic Supplements

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
I'm really sick; flu on day #9. I'm going to the doctor for some help this a.m. but I was also wondering if swallowing garlic tablets does anything antibiotic for you. Garlic, topically, is antibacterial. The Brits used it in WWI as field dressings, even. Does it have the same effect, though, if you swallow it? The other thing is, is it hard on your stomach? My stomach is already unhappy from the OTC meds and the mucus for the past week.

If garlic isn't helpful, do you know of anything that is?

Sorry you are sick. The only thing I know is yes, garlic can be hard on the stomach. Hope you get to feeling better soon.

I haven't taken a garlic supplement in years but I remember them being more trouble then they are worth. You might be hospital bound when you see the doctor. I hope you feel better real soon.

I'm really sick; flu on day #9. I'm going to the doctor for some help this a.m. but I was also wondering if swallowing garlic tablets does anything antibiotic for you. Garlic, topically, is antibacterial. The Brits used it in WWI as field dressings, even. Does it have the same effect, though, if you swallow it? The other thing is, is it hard on your stomach? My stomach is already unhappy from the OTC meds and the mucus for the past week.

Interesting.

I would have pegged you as the sort to get a flu shot. :eusa_think:

Anyway, this works best if you take it at the FIRST SIGN of symptoms. Otherwise, you have to wait at least 48 to 60 hours to see some results. I always have it on hand, b/c when flu season hits, the local stores and pharmacy will give out free flu shots, but keeping Sambucol in stock? Nah. . . they don't do that for us. :71:

Elderberry vs.Tamiflu For Flu Relief - A Radiantly Healthy Life

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed...awXAPBH_B2_goxGyKgCvg6mlKTyQ52uMjRfMrAg27mcBg

The effect of Sambucol, a black elderberry-based, natural product, on the production of human cytokines: I. Inflammatory cytokines. - PubMed - NCBI

I haven't taken a garlic supplement in years but I remember them being more trouble then they are worth. You might be hospital bound when you see the doctor. I hope you feel better real soon.
Thanks! I'll live. Double pneumonia.
I'm definitely staying away from the garlic--I appreciate the advice.

Holy canoli. I'm sorry you're sick.

Oh, gosh. Take care of yourself.

Holy canoli. I'm sorry you're sick.
I've not had insurance for six years and this is the first time I've had to go to the doctor.

Garlic suppliments never did a thing for me but eating 2 or 3 cloves of raw garlic is the best medicine I have ever used!!!

It draws out all the toxins in your system & then you go running for the bathroom (better out than in).

It can be a little harsh on your stomach so I buffer it with a little food.

I make a cup of chicken bullion and chop up 2 or 3 cloves into small pieces.

I take a bite of bread or a cracker...chew it until I'm ready to swallow...toss in a spoon full of garlic bits...and wash it down with the chicken bullion.

Repeat until the garlic cloves are gone or until you just can't take it any more...then take a nap...but be ready to run for the bathroom!

You'll be remarkably better in 24 hours or less!

It MUST be raw garlic...garlic from a jar wont work.

My biggest problem now, with antibiotics, steroids and albuterol on board, is that every time I fall asleep, even for an hour or less, I wake up WET with sweat, my hair, my jammies...and then I'm cold. Getting up to blow dry my hair at 2 a.m. is enough to make one crabby. I realize it's nature's way of ridding me of all those foul germs, but Jeeezusss.....

My biggest problem now, with antibiotics, steroids and albuterol on board, is that every time I fall asleep, even for an hour or less, I wake up WET with sweat, my hair, my jammies...and then I'm cold. Getting up to blow dry my hair at 2 a.m. is enough to make one crabby. I realize it's nature's way of ridding me of all those foul germs, but Jeeezusss.....
Zinc and vitamin C and D. Zinc helps carry away bacterial and viral loads. C and D help boost immune system. I use a natural C Acerola berry and take 5 times a day when anything crops up. Licorice root stops replication of viruses, helps liver rid of toxins and so does elderberry syrup (wally world usually has it). Nice warm bath with Epsom salt and a 1/2 a cup of table salt wouldn't hurt you either.

Zinc and vitamin C and D. Zinc helps carry away bacterial and viral loads. C and D help boost immune system. I use a natural C Acerola berry and take 5 times a day when anything crops up. Licorice root stops replication of viruses, helps liver rid of toxins and so does elderberry syrup (wally world usually has it). Nice warm bath with Epsom salt and a 1/2 a cup of table salt wouldn't hurt you either.
Thanks, RodISHI. I can get elderberry syrup at my local Walgreens, and it sounds helpful, so I'm going to get me some.

The flu is caused by a virus so nothing that has an antibiotic effect will work

The Indians here beat on Dengue Virus with leaves of the papaya tree made into a broth/tea. I did it several years ago. It's the only thing that worked. I don't know if the hippie stores have something similar ? Moringa perhaps ?

Forum List

Back