Gero

Unkotare

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2011
A new student joined the wrestling team today. Pretty late in the game, but I have a policy of never turning away a student who is willing to put in the work. This new student today seems to be quick on the pick-up and athletic. He learned an impressive amount for a beginner, and worked hard to keep up with the more experienced guys. Best of all; not once, not twice, but three times he had to run over to the industrial sized barrel and vomit. It is a badge of honor to work so hard you make yourself throw up, and the team lauded him for it. In a couple of days we may see how he responds to competition. Not expecting a win, but not everyone responds differently to the unique energy, aggression, and violence of a (real) wrestling match. We'll see.

So, whats in it for him, to be abusing himself to this extent?
I have trained a lot of folk and been trained myself, though not in wrestling. If you are healthy, pushing yourself to the point you puke or pass out, extends your limits, and does build strength.

I have trained a lot of folk and been trained myself, though not in wrestling. If you are healthy, pushing yourself to the point you puke or pass out, extends your limits, and does build strength.
Toward the end of three hours of practice the poor kid was looking pretty rough. Some fruit and electrolytes got him back on his feet in no time.

The same kid who was puking on Monday did really well in his first match on Wednesday! Talk about a natural. This kid is strong as hell, and has a real instinct that most kids need years to develop. He was one point away from a tech fall before he just completely ran out of gas and rolled over onto his own back. 100% out of energy. If he sticks with it, there could be big things ahead for this kid.

Christmas break week is always interesting. The kids are more likely to fall off the dietary guidelines I give them. At the same time, I make sure practices are extra tough because it's an important opportunity to kick the conditioning/teaching into high gear before diving into the meat of the season. As a result, we ended up with two pukers today! Win! The first practice after new year's is the best. Aiming for 3 or 4 pukers that day.

Forum List

Back