Getting involved in Poverty Eradication

grafs50

Rookie
Mar 30, 2014
Just finishing up my freshman year of college. I want to devote my career to poverty eradication. So far this is my plan for getting there:

BBA in Economics and BA in Mathematics with Statistics Emphasis
Possibly work 2 years in the Peace Corps to help pay for Graduate School
MS in Economics and/or MS in Urban/Community Development or PhD in Economics
Join a nonprofit dedicated to ending poverty
Make a name for myself in the nonprofit as well as political circles related to eradicating poverty

I don't know if this exactly seems like the best way to go about it. So, any advice you guys?]

Just finishing up my freshman year of college. I want to devote my career to poverty eradication. So far this is my plan for getting there:

Make a name for myself in the nonprofit as well as political circles related to eradicating poverty

I don't know if this exactly seems like the best way to go about it. So, any advice you guys?]
So, you are currently impoverished?

Because this sure seems like a plan to enrich yourself....now, I'm not saying that is wrong. Because if every person did this, there would be little to no poverty.

However.....to say you want to work at eradicating poverty, that would mean you are taking steps for "OTHERS" who are living in poverty, no? Maybe I missed that part. Working for non-profits is NOT YOU working to end poverty.

Find a couple of graduate students in economics to talk this over with before committing too much time or effort. A graduate education in economics is not what you think it is.

Are you joking? Do you truly think this is the best way to eradicate poverty?

Please consider the possibility that you are misguided. Government actions and non-profits do essentially nothing to eradicate poverty. At best, they manage to shift resources from one wretched group to another, but they are truly all about sucking as much as possible from the Government's teats. But if you give it 5 seconds of thought you will realize that THE GOVERNMENT, IN AND OF ITSELF, HAS NO MONEY. Every dollar that the government distributes it has either taken directly from the pocket of a taxpayer, or it is borrowed and will have to be repaid out of the pockets of taxpayers.

Sam Walton has done more to eradicate poverty than any government program. Bill Gates. Henry Ford. Andrew Carnegie. And on and on.

If you want to do your bit to eradicate poverty, be as prosperous as possible - best if in an entrepreneurial venture - and spend your money wisely. That will encourage production and create employment.

Neither governments nor non profits create any wealth, which is the bottom line. If what you are doing doesn't create any wealth, then you are part of the problem and not part of the solution.

Forum List

Back