🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

God's commandments are ...

kowalskil

Nov 30, 2010
Fort Lee, NJ
Who is the author of Mitzvah [commandments]? asked Rabbi Herman E Schaalman, in (1). According to some people, he wrote, "the authority of the 'commandment' resides in the people;" they claim that mitzvot are the customs created by our sages. Such an answer would be sufficient, he continues, if "Jews were like any other people." Why is it so? In which way are Jews different? Unfortunately, this question is not answered by the Rabbi, to my satisfaction. He refers to the Hebrew language, with which I am not familiar.

But I do know how Spinoza, a 17th century Jewish theologian (2), would answer this question. Spinoza wrote: "By God's direction I mean the fixed and unchanging order of Nature ... so it is the same thing whether we say that all things happen according to Nature's laws or that they are regulated by God's decree and direction." Spinoza would say that people are part of nature, and that desirable ways of behavior, described by sages, were also described by God. Many theological contradictions would disappear if Spinoza's defintion of God were universally accepted. Do you agree?

Ludwik Kowalski (see Wikipedia)

References

1) "Gates of Mitzvah: A Guide to the Jewish Life Cycle;" edited by Simeon J. Maslin, Central Conference of American Rabbis, New York, 1979

2) Steven Nadler, "Judging Spinoza," The New York Times, Opinion Pages, May 25 2014.

Also in http://opinionator blogs.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/judging-spinoza/

Everything that is, is a part of Nature. Nature encompasses everything in the universe. As to who wrote the commandments, that'll depend on who or what you put your faith in. According to Torah God penned personally the first set Moses then destroyed in a huff seeing the golden calf incident and then penned the second set himself. If you believe what we have today is what he penned fine.

One commandment is "Thou shalt not kill". So I guess heaven only accepts vegetarians. :D

The Jews, the real Arabs are coming and to be my young family even the female men who wanted to be called wife. I am the truly tired man , which heard about American Jews who are they? But I heard united Arab emeritus has a way I can have the kingdom that delivers children I hope apple give me a blessing they have my satan devil and jehovah god and then I have special service I want them to be Africa cousins and American cities can be a blessing for jamel Anthony Benton I want my life and head to move on in life we use to believe in folks and family at our schools in Chicago if no one claims the kids I do I have legitamate proof.

Respect the cornerstone man cities I want to be a popular friend, I want to thank the generations before me and their number in life this is larry hoover. If they don't worship at the Kingdom Hall anymore worship larry hoover. It's 2014 and that's what Jesus Christ mean to this day and that the community become desirable someday all larry hoover is doing is looking for a more fatter family. We want to eat soul, be respected by the world we use to live with jehovah witnesses don't kill larry hoover which is jamel Anthony Benton you want to protect this honorable sheriff citizen and give a dear wife unto this poor son of a bitch their will never be another jamel Anthony Benton. It's a son from the black stone family out there and jamel want him and his kinfolk bitch Chicago grand theft auto chief medicine with approval from The Lord god new world translation tell them larry is back.

Forum List

Back