🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Trump's first 100 days: Expand the Supreme Court

I'd be fine with expanding it to 13, one for each circuit court, but in my opinion, it should be done gradually over a period of 16 years, one additional justice per presidential term. That's the only way to make it fair.
The court is fine as it is. Expanding it accomplishes nothing. It just opens the door for more expansion--what's next 51 justices, one for every state and DC? I don't see any real need except to placate disgruntled politicians who are trying to circumvent the constitution.

So, you WANT Trump to live up to the scurrilous accusations made against him?

A lot of Democrats have specifically called for expanding the SC. Trump would be listening to them and acting on their wishes by doing so. It's a win-win.

25 is a good number, I think. Trump can appoint 16 new justices, and everyone's happy, right? :hyper:

The court is fine as it is. Expanding it accomplishes nothing. It just opens the door for more expansion--what's next 51 justices, one for every state and DC? I don't see any real need except to placate disgruntled politicians who are trying to circumvent the constitution.
You think Democrats won’t be trying to expand the court again? You’re a fool.

FDR tried it in his last term to justify the most notorious affront to the Constitution in history (E.O. 9066) and it was a downward turning point in his administration.

Expanding the number of Supreme Court positions is something that will require at least 60 votes in the Senate, something that neither party is likely to achieve anytime soon. And that is as it should be IMHO. I do not see the GOP doing that, but the democrats would and probably will when they are able to do so by abolishing the filibuster. What's the difference between a 5-4 court and a 6-5 court or a 7-6 court? I'm not seeing a positive change here, but it will put more emphasis on Senate elections, cuz then you'll have more frequent vacancies.

The simple truth is that the democrats want control of the Supreme Court in their favor and they will resort to any means necessary to achieve that.
The more decision makers the less chance of a close vote.

Biggest thing I’d like is an amendment locking it to a number.

FDR tried it in his last term to justify the most notorious affront to the Constitution in history (E.O. 9066) and it was a downward turning point in his administration.

It's a fool's errand, neither party is going to get the required votes

Even if they did raise it to 13 or 15 as soon as the rulings go against a faction they'll be screaming to increase it again.

Leave it alone

Under the reasonable assumption that Trump wins, and has enough tail to take the senate…

The very first item on his legislative agenda should be an expansion of the Supreme Court.
Liberals have been screaming for it since the McConnell gambit, and have been standing up to scream it since Dobbs.
No reason he cannot give it to them.

They will, of course, suddenly oppose this idea - with ever fiber of their being.

1721235830476.png

Just to point out. The size of the court is set by law.

Even if Trump wins and has a majority of the Senate he doesn't get to illegally place more Justices on the court without the concurrence of Congress by changing the law.

He'd need to win, then he'd need the House, and he'd need 60 votes in the Senate. Only then could he do it legally.

Not going to happen.

WW

I'd be fine with expanding it to 13, one for each circuit court, but in my opinion, it should be done gradually over a period of 16 years, one additional justice per presidential term. That's the only way to make it fair.
Fuck fair, go for the throat and keep squeezing.....Do you ever see the dems being "fair" when they hold total sway?

Indeed, that so-called "high road" is littered with the bones of failed "my friends across the aisle" gopers.

You can't treat with today's dems....End of story.

Under the reasonable assumption that Trump wins, and has enough tail to take the senate…

The very first item on his legislative agenda should be an expansion of the Supreme Court.
Liberals have been screaming for it since the McConnell gambit, and have been standing up to scream it since Dobbs.
No reason he cannot give it to them.

They will, of course, suddenly oppose this idea - with ever fiber of their being.
Not real sure there'd be enough votes in the congress, even with big fall wins, to pull off a change in title 28.

View attachment 978864

Just to point out. The size of the court is set by law.

Even if Trump wins and has a majority of the Senate he doesn't get to illegally place more Justices on the court without the concurrence of Congress by changing the law.

He'd need to win, then he'd need the House, and he'd need 60 votes in the Senate. Only then could he do it legally.

Not going to happen.

WW
Do not forget that the proposed amendment must be ratified by 37 states. That is the point that is keeping the ERA from being enshrined.

Forum List

Back