Google's data center in Uruguay

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Google's data center at the Science Park on Route 101 in Pando will cost around US$ 850 million. Works are expected to take 26 months. The South American country's authorities highlighted the project's sustainability and the confidence in the country it represented. In her speech, Fazio underlined that sustainability was a “key driver for development” in addition to being a reality from the energy viewpoint, given that 97% of the country's electricity generation is renewable. There are “few countries that can offer this condition,” she stressed. This center is “a necessary incentive for other industries, which we have identified as having growth potential in the country, to gain momentum to project themselves to the world,” she also said.

I am blown away by the claim that Uruguay has 97% of the electricity generation that is renewable. That is pretty impressive.

I call bullshit! They don't use that much power or something.
Maybe they have a lot of hydroelectric.

I guarantee it's more hydro and less wind. They have a lot of mountains and waterfalls is why.

Mountains aren't conducive to wind power. Mountains cut wind.

Wind​

Uruguay is one of the world leaders in wind power production, alongside Denmark, Ireland, and Germany with generates 31 percent of total power generation from wind. Uruguay has more than 1,525 MW of installed wind capacity. Uruguay has strong constant winds, with an average speed of the wind is 6 to 9 meters/second at the towers’ maximum heights of 90 meters.

Wind​

Uruguay is one of the world leaders in wind power production, alongside Denmark, Ireland, and Germany with generates 31 percent of total power generation from wind. Uruguay has more than 1,525 MW of installed wind capacity. Uruguay has strong constant winds, with an average speed of the wind is 6 to 9 meters/second at the towers’ maximum heights of 90 meters.
Okay dude, so like uh..31% of their power comes from wind, where does the other 69% come from, hmm? :rolleyes-41:
Current wind power production is fail, moron.
GE is heavily into it, too. Chances are better than not those "windmills" are made by GE.

Okay dude, so like uh..31% of their power comes from wind, where does the other 69% come from, hmm? :rolleyes-41:
Current wind power production is fail, moron.
GE is heavily into it, too. Chances are better than not those "windmills" are made by GE.

The country of Uruguay disagrees with your expert analysis. I will defer to their actual experience and not your lack there of.

The Peralta wind farm in Uruguay uses 50 ENERCON E-92 turbines, each with a nameplate capacity of 2.35 MW. Enercon is also the O&M contractor for the Peralta wind farm for 15 years. The wind farm has been operational since October 2015.

The country of Uruguay disagrees with your expert analysis. I will defer to their actual experience and not your lack there of.

The Peralta wind farm in Uruguay uses 50 ENERCON E-92 turbines, each with a nameplate capacity of 2.35 MW. Enercon is also the O&M contractor for the Peralta wind farm for 15 years. The wind farm has been operational since October 2015.

Still only 31% of Uruguay's power supply, moron.
And I'd be willing to bet that fluctuates.
As an aside, that Enercon looks pretty good on the surface.

Still only 31% of Uruguay's power supply, moron.
And I'd be willing to bet that fluctuates.
As an aside, that Enercon looks pretty good on the surface.

And 31% is pretty impressive for wind power.

It is the same percent they get from hydropower

Forum List

Back