GOP Approves Florida Winner-Take-All Primary

hortysir

In Memorial of 47
Apr 30, 2010
That will probably mean Bush or Rubio will wind up taking my state.....

GOP Approves Florida Winner-Take-All Primary Shark Tank

On Saturday, Florida’s Republican Party executive board formally voted to make the state’s presidential primary a winner-take-all contest. What that means is whoever carries Florida will get 99 delegates to the Republican National Convention.

Leaders hope the move will bring more attention to the state as reported by News4Jax.

Party Chairman Blaise Ingoglia released the following statement:

The road to the White House runs through Florida. This now confirms that the road to the Republican nomination will run through Florida as well.

Winner takes all makes sense

Make them compete for an all or nothing prize. Otherwise, who cares if you get seven or nine delegates?

This drastically increases the chances for Rubio or Bush. It will be interesting to see if other states attempt to follow suit.

This drastically increases the chances for Rubio or Bush. It will be interesting to see if other states attempt to follow suit.

As it should

Gives Florida much more clout than if they apportioned their votes

I don't think so. Here is why. It depends on how strong either party is nationwide if they get a substantial bump from Florida.

If I recall, in the past, Florida had the day to itself. It was January 31 in 2012. The March 15 primary will be after Super Tuesday (March 1) where you have...

Colorado caucuses
Minnesota caucuses
Massachusetts
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
North Carolina

Read more at 2016 Primary Schedule 2016 Election Central

Going by the "favorite son" balloting, Cruz and Perry look to be doing well early on.

Further, Florida is sharing the day with Illinois and Missouri.
Florida has 99 delegates. Illinois has 69 and Missouri has 52. If Walker survives Super Tuesday....he should do well in the midwest. Huckster has done well there in the past as has the asshat Santorum. He won Missouri. He got trounced in Illinois by 12 points. I don't know if they are WTA states or not in 2016.
But if they are...any victory in Florida could be blunted.

The real loser is Chris Christie whose favorable states will come later still.

I don't think so. Here is why. It depends on how strong either party is nationwide if they get a substantial bump from Florida.

If I recall, in the past, Florida had the day to itself. It was January 31 in 2012. The March 15 primary will be after Super Tuesday (March 1) where you have...

Colorado caucuses
Minnesota caucuses
Massachusetts
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
North Carolina

Going by the "favorite son" balloting, Cruz and Perry look to be doing well early on.

Florida has 99 delegates. Illinois has 69 and Missouri has 52. If Walker survives Super Tuesday....he should do well in the midwest. Huckster has done well there in the past as has the asshat Santorum. He won Missouri. He got trounced in Illinois by 12 points. I don't know if they are WTA states or not in 2016.

That's a good set of points but I don't think it appreciates what this will end up doing. It essentially means that anyone who isn't going to win Florida is effectively down at least a few delegates. Cruz and Paul for example both are unlikely to win Florida.

But I think your essential point is valid and I probably shouldn't have had the word "drastically" in my comment. It does increase their chances, but by how much it might be difficult to say.

Colorado caucuses
Minnesota caucuses
Massachusetts
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Texas
Vermont
Virginia
North Carolina

That's a good set of points but I don't think it appreciates what this will end up doing. It essentially means that anyone who isn't going to win Florida is effectively down at least a few delegates. Cruz and Paul for example both are unlikely to win Florida.

But I think your essential point is valid and I probably shouldn't have had the word "drastically" in my comment. It does increase their chances, but by how much it might be difficult to say.

Well, Florida is the 3rd largest group of delegates and having them as one group is drastic. You award them in January (before Super Tuesday) and the splash is much larger; almost more than SC, NH, and IA combined (early election states). Having it after Super Tuesday is self-defeating if they wish to draw more attention to their state.

What Florida could be is High Noon. If Both Bush and Rubio do well early on which isn't outside of the realm of possibility....and split Super Tuesday's big prizes of TX, VA, NC, and MA (about 300 delegates), another 99 delegates won't seal the deal but it will give you a fund raising edge. The next big day is April 26 where there are a lot of NE states. June 7 is California which will probably be inmaterial. Then the convention is the following month.

You need 1,236 to win. Getting nearly 8-9 percent on day is a big deal mathematically. However, the impact would be greater if you get that 8-9 percent when people are making up their mind if you, as a candidate, are "for real".

Forum List

Back