🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

GOP refuses to pass clean debt-ceiling increase

Hoffstra

Rookie
Aug 20, 2013
Boehner: U.S. Republicans will not pass 'clean' debt-limit increase - Yahoo Finance

Boehner has now stated that he and the GOP will hold the debt-ceiling increase, and indeed the financial health of the USA & the World, hostage to their budget cuts.

This makes me very sad. I thought they were smarter than this. I thought they were more Patriotic than this.

A partial govt. shutdown in order to get budget consessions is one thing, but threatening a debt default is a whole different creature.

This is a very dangerous path the GOP is taking. :(

Unfortunately, Congress consistently brings the government to the edge of default before facing its responsibility. This brinkmanship threatens the holders of government bonds and those who rely on Social Security and veterans benefits. Interest rates would skyrocket, instability would occur in financial markets, and the federal deficit would soar. The United States has a special responsibility to itself and the world to meet its obligations. It means we have a well-earned reputation for reliability and credibility -- two things that set us apart from much of the world."

Ronald Reagan, 1968

Last edited:
  • Banned
I wonder how the Dow will react to Boehner's threat tomorow.

Boehner: U.S. Republicans will not pass 'clean' debt-limit increase - Yahoo Finance

Boehner has now stated that he and the GOP will hold the debt-ceiling increase, and indeed the financial health of the USA & the World, hostage to their budget cuts.

This makes me very sad. I thought they were smarter than this. I thought they were more Patriotic than this.

A partial govt. shutdown in order to get budget consessions is one thing, but threatening a debt default is a whole different creature.

Unfortunately, Congress consistently brings the government to the edge of default before facing its responsibility. This brinkmanship threatens the holders of government bonds and those who rely on Social Security and veterans benefits. Interest rates would skyrocket, instability would occur in financial markets, and the federal deficit would soar. The United States has a special responsibility to itself and the world to meet its obligations. It means we have a well-earned reputation for reliability and credibility -- two things that set us apart from much of the world."

Ronald Reagan, 1968

You are quite the obediant sheep.

Translation: How will the Dow react to Obama's talking down the markets?

The Feds have plenty of money rolling in (tax receipts are the highest in history this year)...so if Obama refuses to pay the interest as it comes due, that's on him.

• Banned

Ronald Reagan, 1968

You are quite the obediant sheep.

causing the nation to default on its debt because they don't get the budget cuts they want, would be an act of legislative terrorism.

you think Ronald Reagan was an obedient sheep?

Last edited:
speaking of sheep, Yahoo does a pretty good job...they should rename themselves, the yahooss for the DNC

The GOP will take the blame for a default, just as they are taking the blame for the shutdown. You cannot fix Stupid.....

But you can elect him President.

The President's approval ratings are going lower and lower. People aren't buying his bullshit anymore. Obama has been trying to spook the markets and is heedless as to what this means.

The GOP has proposed many solutions and the administration and Democrats have rejected every single one. You dont govern by refusing to talk and negotiate.

that article was SO UNBIASED...

like I said, the Yahoooooossss for the DNC

lol

ok folks, answer this question:

should the House only approve a debt-ceiling increase if it includes certain budget cuts?

that article was SO UNBIASED...

like I said, the Yahoooooossss for the DNC

lol

Yahoo just picks up stories from wire services such as AP and Reuters, which lean far to the left. But it does indicate how Cronyist the Big Tech Oligarchy has become.

Boehner does not have the power to default on gov't debt. That power is solely Obama's.

you seem to think the President of the USA is a dictator.

no, he doesn't have the Constitutional authority to unilaterally increase the debt ceiling.

Congress must submit him a bill to sign.

That's how our Republic works.

Boehner does not have the power to default on gov't debt. That power is solely Obama's.

you seem to think the President of the USA is a dictator.

no, he doesn't have the Constitutional authority to unilaterally increase the debt ceiling.

Congress must submit him a bill to sign.

That's how our Republic works.

And the House has submitted numerous bills. What happened to them?
You want to make bets on Obama invoking his "14thA powers" to order the Trreasury to borrow money?

Ronald Reagan, 1968

but its a great way to get into a war, reduce population, stimulate the economy, sacrifice the bottom of the gene pools, insure the governments continual ability to enforce "extra-constitutional" powers.

Sounds like a win win win to me! (for government)

Oh stop crying. They'll cave on the threat just like they did last time.

Because patriotism and intelligence (clearly neither of which you possess) mean running up an endless amount of debt we can't pay back and stealing the livelihood of future generations in order to make good on that debt, right?

Who is threatening a debt default, hmm? Thanks for revealing to all of us what an ignorant sheep you are. This country takes in $250B a month. Our debt payments are $30B a month. Do tell how not raising the debt ceiling stops us from making these payments. Do you even understand any of this or are you just repeating the talking points you hear from Ed Schultz?

What's dangerous is that people like you vote. That's why we've ended up here in the first place.

And the House has submitted numerous bills. What happened to them?
You want to make bets on Obama invoking his "14thA powers" to order the Trreasury to borrow money?

The House refuses to submit a clean budget, free of political crap.

The House needs to submit a clean budget that ONLY funds the govt.

Obama has already stated that he will not unilaterally raise the debt ceiling. He doesn't have the Constitutional authority to do so.

Last edited:
Obama in 2006 when he opposed raising the debt ceiling:

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. Government can’t pay its own bills. It is a sign that we now depend on ongoing financial assistance from foreign countries to finance our Government’s reckless fiscal policies. … Increasing America’s debt weakens us domestically and internationally. Leadership means that ‘the buck stops here. Instead, Washington is shifting the burden of bad choices today onto the backs of our children and grandchildren. America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership. Americans deserve better.

Obama: Not Always a Fan of Upping Debt Ceiling | National Review Online

Apparently, he no longer cares about shifting the burden of bad choices onto the back of our children and grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Forum List

Back