Growing okra

I was given some African okra seeds by an African friend, and I know nothing about growing okra because I can't eat it.

Any hints would be wonderful! I'm in the midwest, in zone 4.

TIA.

Oh my God okra is amazing.
Why can't you eat it?

I believe so. I prefer to refer to Crepitus as 'jangebones.' :cool:
crepitus is a crackling sound like when you "crack your knuckles" or the sound made when there is air in the sub-
cutaneous tissues or at the base of the lungs in Pulmonary
edema----medical term

There was a place in town that sold bulk dehydrated okra. It was the best.

I bit of a green flavor, but not much. But the sweet and salty flavor was sort of like kettle corn.

iu

crepitus is a crackling sound like when you "crack your knuckles" or the sound made when there is air in the sub-
cutaneous tissues or at the base of the lungs in Pulmonary
edema----medical term
I was speaking of Crepitus here on the Forum.

I was given some African okra seeds by an African friend, and I know nothing about growing okra because I can't eat it.

Any hints would be wonderful! I'm in the midwest, in zone 4.

TIA.

I know nothing about African okra. The kind that grows best in the midwest (North Central Kansas) takes about two months from planting the seeds to the first harvest. And then the harvest needs to be done often, sometimes daily, because if you let the pods get longer than 2 or 3 inches or so they become woody and tough and lose a lot of flavor. The okra pods reach prime harvest length in about 3 or 4 days from time the flower starts the pod.

We found okra pods would stay fresh in the refrigerator for maybe up to a week and they can be successfully frozen and thawed out. We love love LOVE fried okra cut into bite size pieces, (coated in a seasoned cornmeal/flour batter and fried until crisp) and we have some Louisiana relatives who make a lot of gumbo with it though true Cajun gumbo doesn't necessarily have to have it. Fried okra is considered a premium side and a delicacy in restaurants that offer it here in New Mexico. I haven't tried to grow okra in Albuquerque.

Last edited:
I grow it. I prefer it pickled but it can sometimes be hard to get enough of the right lengths at the same time to make it worth doing. Around here you have to protect it from deer or they will eat it down in a heartbeat. Only think I really don't like about it are the ants. Ants love them plants.

I'd never purposely grow nasty-ass Okra.
so you don't know how to cook okra? if done right its not gummy and its very good...

one way to do it ..soak it in soy sauce for about an hour...use a zip lock baggie and move it around to mix the sauce and okra...then saute for 4 or 5 minutes....I don't cut the stems off..use them to eat it...

or simply saute it for a few minutes until the gummy stuff goes away..which it will

of course you will never beat fried okra always get small okra avoid large okra

I know nothing about African okra. The kind that grows best in the midwest (North Central Kansas) takes about two months from planting the seeds to the first harvest. And then the harvest needs to be done often, sometimes daily, because if you let the pods get longer than 2 or 3 inches or so they become woody and tough and lose a lot of flavor. The okra pods reach prime harvest length in about 3 or 4 days from time the flower starts the pod.

We found okra pods would stay fresh in the refrigerator for maybe up to a week and they can be successfully frozen and thawed out. We love love LOVE fried okra cut into bite size pieces, (coated in a seasoned cornmeal/flour batter and fried until crisp) and we have some Louisiana relatives who make a lot of gumbo with it though true Cajun gumbo doesn't necessarily have to have it. Fried okra is considered a premium side and a delicacy in restaurants that offer it here in New Mexico. I haven't tried to grow okra in Albuquerque.

Thanks! One thing I have trouble with is those veg that need to be harvested early and frequently. I'll remember your advice.

Remember to pick the okra at the same time I'm, picking the peas and beans.

Good to see you're back to your usual self.

You're a virtual cornucopia of information. Any time I can't find something on Wikipedia, I always look for you.

:04:

It's not a secret, Galt. Pretty much common knowledge.

Forum List

Back