Gun Wisdom

America is also one of the most populated countries in the western world.

One of the biggest factors that causes more crime is recidivism. Criminals are let out, commit more crimes, and are brought back. They need to stay in prison for a lot longer.

And let's say you are right. All the more reason to have a gun to protect yourself.
ah, america and its love of guns. Aint it just cute!

Yeah, it's grand. It's allowed idiots to survive far longer then they would have otherwise.

And gives you the highest deaths via firearms in the Western World, too....

Correct.

Anyone who tries to make an argument in the context of guns and violence in the United States that there is no excessive gun violence is a fool, the facts are against him.

But that’s politics and social policy.

In the United States, as a matter of law, it’s a completely different issue.

Ok, tell me how you are more 'free' than I...in practical terms.

Correct again.

You have greater freedom from death and violence, you are free to walk the streets without fear.

Correct.

Anyone who tries to make an argument in the context of guns and violence in the United States that there is no excessive gun violence is a fool, the facts are against him.

Ok, tell me how you are more 'free' than I...in practical terms.

Correct again.

You have greater freedom from death and violence, you are free to walk the streets without fear.

The second part...I was talking more generically, as opposed to freedoms vis-a-vis guns....

Gun regulation should be handled universally at the federal level since its in the constitution.

Background checks are easy now. I'm pretty sure entering a SS# can give access to criminal and mental health records.

If a citizen is law-abiding and passes a background check they should be allowed to open and/or conceal carry a handgun

Gun regulation should be handled universally at the federal level since its in the constitution.
Um... where?

Background checks are easy now. I'm pretty sure entering a SS# can give access to criminal and mental health records.
Background checks are a form of prior restraint.
Prior restraint is an infringement.
The right shall not be infringed.

Um... where?

Yeah, please don't check if somebody has just come out of the looney bin. Naw, hand them a peashooter as they walk out the gate....:cuckoo:

Unless the government can demonstrate a compelling interest, which I believe it can. The Court implied as much in Heller.

But I believe waiting periods are, along with purchasing restrictions – such as only one handgun purchase during a 30 day period – and restrictions on cosmetic configuration – PGs, detachable magazines – as well as magazine capacity.

Also questionable would be any type of permit, such as the FOID in Illinois and the North Carolina handgun purchase permits.

Yeah, it's grand. It's allowed idiots to survive far longer then they would have otherwise.

Yes, and there are several other factors you chooses to ignore. First off the US has a population greater then most of Europe. Secondly we have a true mixture of races. If you look at the gun deaths they are mainly among the black and hispanic races. This is not a racist statement it is merely a fact.

There was a well known study that compared gun deaths in Seatle vs gun deaths in Vancouver two decades ago. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was someting on the order of 75 in Seatle and 5 in Vancouver. When you subtract the deaths from hispanics and blacks the numbers were the same, 5 and 5.

Why the disparity? I don't know. But the fact remains there is tremendous racial stress that exhists in the US that doesn't exist in Europe. That manifests itself in gang violence (overwhelmingly involving black and hispanics) and sadly they resort to gun violence at the drop of a hat. Once again this is not meant to be a racist rant it is the presentation of factual data that you can obtain from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports.

In Britan, the numbers are climbing for people killed by knives. In the middle east and Africa, deaths can be from "explosions", machettes, stones, knives or guns. Kind of puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

Unless the government can demonstrate a compelling interest, which I believe it can. The Court implied as much in Heller.

But I believe waiting periods are, along with purchasing restrictions – such as only one handgun purchase during a 30 day period – and restrictions on cosmetic configuration – PGs, detachable magazines – as well as magazine capacity.

Also questionable would be any type of permit, such as the FOID in Illinois and the North Carolina handgun purchase permits.

By all means let's restrict guns.....
Let's restrict the governments access to guns it has shown it's not responsible enough to have control over one.

Yes, and there are several other factors you chooses to ignore. First off the US has a population greater then most of Europe. Secondly we have a true mixture of races. If you look at the gun deaths they are mainly among the black and hispanic races. This is not a racist statement it is merely a fact.

There was a well known study that compared gun deaths in Seatle vs gun deaths in Vancouver two decades ago. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was someting on the order of 75 in Seatle and 5 in Vancouver. When you subtract the deaths from hispanics and blacks the numbers were the same, 5 and 5.

Why the disparity? I don't know. But the fact remains there is tremendous racial stress that exhists in the US that doesn't exist in Europe. That manifests itself in gang violence (overwhelmingly involving black and hispanics) and sadly they resort to gun violence at the drop of a hat. Once again this is not meant to be a racist rant it is the presentation of factual data that you can obtain from the FBI's Uniform Crime Reports.

In Britan, the numbers are climbing for people killed by knives. In the middle east and Africa, deaths can be from "explosions", machettes, stones, knives or guns. Kind of puts it in perspective, doesn't it?

It is? Links....

It is? Links....
Stiffer knife sentences unveiled as deaths rise
People who carry knives will face tougher sentences of at least 18 hours of community work a week and curfews under new legislation to be unveiled by the government today.
Stiffer knife sentences unveiled as deaths rise | UK news | The Guardian

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAICK94wIVg]Deaths rise under knife crime scheme - YouTube[/ame]

Um... where?

Yeah, please don't check if somebody has just come out of the looney bin.
Your response does not negate the validity of my point.
Naw, hand them a peashooter as they walk out the gate....:cuckoo:
Straw, man.
:cuckoo:

Doubtful - the "compelling" part is, at the very best, rather difficult to show in this case.

Agreed.

Forum List

Back