Gush Katif: 8 Years on, 50% of Expellees Still Homeless

Sweet_Caroline

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2013
Gush Katif: 8 Years on, 50% of Expellees Still Homeless
Unemployment also still high, as families forced to cope with a legacy of broken promises nearly a decade after being forcibly uprooted​

By Gil Ronen
First Publish: 7/17/2013, 4:08 PM

433756.jpg

Gush Katif Evictee (August 05, 2009)

Precisely eight years ago, on the day after Tisha B'Av, 2005, the State of Israel began carrying out the Disengagement Plan, in which it uprooted close to 9,500 Jews from the Gush Katif area of Gaza, and from the northern Samarian communities Homesh and Sanur.

Although eight years have passed since then, and three years have passed since an official commission of inquiry determined that the state failed in its treatment of the evictees, 50% of those evicted are still without permanent housing, according to the statistics prevented by the Council for Gush Katif Evictees.

According to the Council, 1,450 families remained a part of the Gush Katif community after the expulsion. Of these, about 670 families completed the construction process and moved into a permanent home. Of 1,100 families that are entitled to housing and have purchased a developed plot, about 150 will have difficulty completing the construction due to personal or financial problems, or emotional difficulties. Of these families, 60 require financial assistance for completing the construction process.

Unemployment is high among Gush Katif expellees, too. The unemployment rate stands at 16%, compared to just 4% in Gush Katif itself prior to the "disengagement." While that presents a significant drop from the more than 30% who were without a job in the expulsion's immediate aftermath, it is still high, especially among people aged 55 and upward.

Farmers with no land

Others have found work but have had to leave their former professions.

Out of about 390 agricultural families from Gush Katif, only about 190 have received land. About 50 farmers are still waiting for agricultural land that was promised them in the negotiations that led up to the signing of an agreement with the state, about a year ago.

About 150 farmers received compensation and have left the agricultural sector.

Eliezer Orbach, Chairman of the Council of Evictees, declared Wednesday that the State of Israel has "failed" in its treatment of the evictees.

Benny Katzover of the grassroots Council of Samaria Residents said: “Today, it is clearer than ever that the crime of eviction was an act of stupidity, security-wise.

"The failed treatment of the people of Gush Katif and northern Samaria proves, to those who had any doubts, that the eviction and the rehabilitation were both carried out hastily, in order to cover up criminal acts by the Sharon family.”

There have been persistent allegations that Ariel Sharon, who was Israel's Prime Minister during the Disengagement, agreed to carry out the move as part of a deal between him and elements in the judicial system.

The alleged deal involved the non-prosecution of Sharon and his sons for bribery in a sordid affair known as “the Greek Island scandal.”

Gush Katif: 50% of Expellees Still Homeless - Inside Israel - News - Israel National News

About the the ignoble injustice that happened in 2005 in Israel
Viewer Discretion Advised

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYFDhWDCJ3Y&list=PL04D54D8F88883C32&index=4]Documentary : The 2005 Uprooting of Israel [Hebrew] - YouTube[/ame]

Religious Jews' lives are uprooted by fellow Jews for Israel's sacrifice towards Palestinian autonomy (ultimately resulting in increased Palestinian aggression against innocent Israeli civilians), in this emotionally-charged socio-political event from August 2005.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0Gdn-yWtc&list=PL04D54D8F88883C32&index=2]Poignant Gush Katif withdrawal from Gaza documentary- Part 1 of 2 (English & Hebrew with subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKUeXhQFfg&list=PL04D54D8F88883C32&index=1]Poignant Gush Katif withdrawal from Gaza documentary- Part 2 of 2 (English & Hebrew with subtitles) - YouTube[/ame]

Gee, I thought Israel was a rich and prosperous country.

Israel abided by the pre-conditions to peace talks in 2010 with a 10 month building freeze, (the Pals still didn't come to the peace negotiations - no surprise there), and there has been a building freeze since 18 June this year, and still the Pals won't negotiate. This is why the building has to continue, to rehouse these families.

Look at what happened. I will put it really simply for you Tinmore. Israel forcibly removed the Jews from their homes in Gaza to be rehoused in Israel. Not only is Israel being bombarded by rockets from Gaza but Israel is pandering to peace negotiations with a building freeze (incidentally of course putting the West Bank arabs out of work as a lot of them work in construction), and the Jews from the disengagement are still suffering eight years on.

Now I know you and your cronies won't sympathize of course and I am not telling you all this to get sympathy, but simply to keep you informed of how Israel is managing with its problems from the disengagement.

You couldn't care less, I know. But this thread was to inform.

Thank goodness we are all living witnesses to what Israel gets in return for helping Palestinians by giving in to their demands.

When will Israel ever learn to abondon this Zionist agenda & treat the Palestinians with the same Arab country love, justice & respect the Palestinians are so well accustomed to & so well deserve?

many of them still try and see the good results in it. and fail daily.

As a southerner, the results where catastrophic for me, my family, and my district.

I think a lot of us cannot imagine the nightmare of living in a place where rockets can drop on you any time, day or night. No wonder so many people in the South have post-traumatic stress disorder.

At least there was one brightside. As soon as Israel granted the Palestinians their own Jew free Gaza, the Palestinians massacred each other in record numbers.

As a southerner, the results where catastrophic for me, my family, and my district.

I think a lot of us cannot imagine the nightmare of living in a place where rockets can drop on you any time, day or night. No wonder so many people in the South have post-traumatic stress disorder.

It's not the issue, more its to think that there are children in the Gaza vicinity who don't remember at all any life but the life of the Red Color.

Pesonally, for myself it became an issue when I was in my teens, I knew and felt at some point that I needed help, especially after Cast Lead, so my mom and dad sent me into therapy.

Imagining a small child that doesn't know any other life, doesn't know how to cry for help, that is the major issue.

It's not the issue, more its to think that there are children in the Gaza vicinity who don't remember at all any life but the life of the Red Color.

Pesonally, for myself it became an issue when I was in my teens, I knew and felt at some point that I needed help, especially after Cast Lead, so my mom and dad sent me into therapy.

Imagining a small child that doesn't know any other life, doesn't know how to cry for help, that is the major issue.

I have watched plenty of videos about the situation and how stressed the people in the South are, and how the children are affected.

Israel is way too restrained in its efforts to stop the madness that comes from Gaza. It really angers me so much. Us supporters of Israel really feel for you in the South. We may not always get the opportunity to say it, but we do feel it and pray for your safety and for an end to the terrorism against the South from Gaza.

PS: For anyone who may not know, the "Red Color" mentioned is Tseva Adom (color red) which is the siren sounding to warn the people in the South of Israel about an impending rocket. Depending on the proximity to the Gazan border the people in the South of Israel have between 15 and 30 seconds to take cover, either in a shelter if outside, or in a safe room if indoors.

Last edited:
At least there was one brightside. As soon as Israel granted the Palestinians their own Jew free Gaza, the Palestinians massacred each other in record numbers.

Indeed.

The Gaza Bombshell | Vanity Fair

The Gaza Pullout taught us a lot about Hamas. Funny how they expect to get more land after launching over 20 000 rockets and mortars at Israel since they withdrew their settlers and soldiers from the Gaza Strip.

It is a tragedy that after last November the Gazans didn't get less land.

Maybe Lipush, you and your family can move further north, where you can lead a normal life.

Maybe Lipush, you and your family can move further north, where you can lead a normal life.

Well, we thought about it, and lately we bought a small apartment near Rishon Le'Zion

But as I said before, me and my family, we have lived over 20 years in the south. The south, unlike Tel-Aviv, is mostly lands inherited by children's farmers, which are left for their children to develop. Many people here, all they have is the lands and the fields and their place. It's not easy to just pick up your stuff, and leave.

Many of us had problems because people didn't want to buy housing here. Mostly because this place doesn't offer jobs like in the Tel-Aviv and Haifa area. Most of the south's occupation is agriculture.

And here the behavior and attitude is way different. Personally, I lived in two places in my life, one is Mitzpe Ramon (on the way to Eilat, near the crater) and the other is my current hometown. I have never lived in ANYWHERE *but* the south. For many years, we were almost somewhat afraid, because the life in the south are SO terribly different than the life in the rest of Israel. in any possible way.

I guess mostly it was the reason. But lately it was decided that we at least need to have the option to move elsewhere. So we now have this apartment on wait. I know it will very much sadden me if I truely have to leave my life, the only life I knew, to go and live someplace else. Not to mention my parents, over 30 years in this district, that's very difficult.

But I guess when there is no choice, so...:(

I have watched plenty of videos about the situation and how stressed the people in the South are, and how the children are affected.

Israel is way too restrained in its efforts to stop the madness that comes from Gaza. It really angers me so much. Us supporters of Israel really feel for you in the South. We may not always get the opportunity to say it, but we do feel it and pray for your safety and for an end to the terrorism against the South from Gaza.

PS: For anyone who may not know, the "Red Color" mentioned is Tseva Adom (color red) which is the siren sounding to warn the people in the South of Israel about an impending rocket. Depending on the proximity to the Gazan border the people in the South of Israel have between 15 and 30 seconds to take cover, either in a shelter if outside, or in a safe room if indoors.

The south is the most beautiful place in Israel, and the fact that it is the "Orphaned district" make us love it even more.

There is a different though between the towns in the south when it comes to rockets.

Up untill I believe 2007-2008, there use to be the area called "The Ottef Aza", literally translated, "The envelop of Gaza", practically meaning the towns surrounding the Gaza border, 0-10 kilometers from the strip. We talk about 60 towns and villages in the range of fire. All those towns got, and as far as I know, get benefits, especially when it comes to taxes. around 2008 those ranges changed, when 2 very important places 'joined the club' of life under fire. Those were, the city of Ashkelon, and the town of Netivot. both places hold very special meaning to southerners, and they are physically larger and more polpulated.

When the first Quassam rocket hit Ashkelon, then the definition of 'Ottef Aza' changed. In Cast Lead, the change was even greater, since for the first time, we got to know the Grad Missile hitting "The Negev's Capitol" which is Be'er Sheva, and one of the most important cities of Israel, the port city of Ashdod.

When that happened, the definition, the phrase "Ottef Aza" lost all meaning, because almost the entire Negev became Ottef Aza, and instead people used the phrase "The endangered south". When people now say or alert against rockets, the system automatically said "Range of 40 kilometers".

In my town, we don't have the horn proclamation of "Tzava Adom" (which is must scarier, if you ask me), we simply have the alarm. In my town, the alarm system is in the street behind my own, right above the mailboxes:D

Nice touch.

Forum List

Back