half the world now attacks the Jews and forgets October 7

The twin evils of Hamas using terrified captives to blackmail Israel, and using their own civilians as human shields, are hardwired truths that have further cemented Oct. 7 in our memories.
No dark Jewish memory, of course, can ever compete with the Holocaust, the lowest point of Jewish history.

But the Holocaust happened more than 80 years ago. The great majority of Jews today were not alive then, but they were all alive to see Oct. 7 explode on their smart phones over and over again.

They didn’t just see a massacre; they saw terrorists showing off these massacres on digital cameras for the world to see. They saw depravity boosted by glee. They saw murderers who were just as ecstatic at the rape and mutilation and beheading of Jews as the Israelis were ecstatic this past weekend celebrating the return of four hostages.

But here again, the dark cloud of Oct. 7 is never too far away. As Israelis welcomed the liberated hostages, it was impossible to forget all the hostages who are still languishing in Hamas hell.

I used to think I had a special talent to put myself in other people’s shoes. Oct. 7 has introduced me to my limit. No matter how hard I try, I can’t do it.

I can’t put myself in one of those bedrooms or shelters where the worst nightmares imaginable happened on that Black Shabbat. As a parent, I can’t put myself in the shoes of a father or mother whose children have been hostages for 248 days and counting.

Forum List

Back