Harvey rapidly intensified(.)

Peach

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2009
In just 57 hours, Harvey grew from a regenerated tropical depression over the Gulf of Mexico into a Category 4 hurricane, an incredible example of how rapid intensification can occur in hurricanes when atmospheric and oceanic conditions are ideal for development.

Harvey's rapid intensification was fueled by two main large-scale ingredients: favorable winds aloft and high oceanic heat content. There may have been other factors at play, but for now, let's examine the big picture.

Here's Why Hurricane Harvey Rapidly Intensified Into a Category 4 Monster

Nothing to do with the mayor.

Last edited:
It is really awful what happens to the Texans:(, here are a few images of the extent of the passage of Harvey.
From France Info.

13167977.jpg

1|21
Harvey, photographed from the International Space Station, is the most powerful hurricane to hit Texas for over fifty years.NASA / REUTERS

13168281.jpg

2|21
Some shops were robbed by residents who made provisions for the arrival of the hurricane.

13167769.jpg

4|21
Rockport, a small town of 10,000 inhabitants on the Gulf of Mexico, was hit hard by the hurricane

13167945.jpg

9|21
13168025.jpg

14|21
This heavyweight was lying on the road by wind, near Edna, south of Houston.

EN IMAGES. Le Texas dévasté par la tempête Harvey en 21 photos

A nightmare less than 2 and a half days in the making. .

Quite right Peach, it seems to me that Houston was not suposse to be flooded this way? Hurricane Harvey moved to the right and took everyone by surprise?

Also two high pressure system along with a Tropical depression off the East coast kept the storm from moving.

It was the perfect storm.

Cleanup is now going to be next and rebuilding.

The mayor, County Officials and Governor did their jobs!

Anyone that believe they could have done better need to come here and show us simple minded folks where we went wrong!

QUOTE="Dalia, post: 18041434, member: 59384"]
Quite right Peach, it seems to me that Houston was not suposse to be flooded this way? Hurricane Harvey moved to the right and took everyone by surprise?[/QUOTE]

And intensified rapidly, no "five days out". No time to evac Houston and areas miles outside the city.

QUOTE="Dalia, post: 18041434, member: 59384"]
Quite right Peach, it seems to me that Houston was not suposse to be flooded this way? Hurricane Harvey moved to the right and took everyone by surprise?

And intensified rapidly, no "five days out". No time to evac Houston and areas miles outside the city.[/QUOTE]
That's what he said to the French media Houston had not planned so much water at home the day after the passage of Harvey already the water had risen a lot in Houston I do not have the amount of Water but it was a lot

Houston is the fourth most populous city in the US. Over 2.3 million people. On Thursday, 1 pm, Harvey became a cat 1 hurricane. Suppose the mayor of Houston had asked people to evacuate at that point. They would have laughed at him. Cat 1, they saw that many times. And the max rain prediction at that time was for 20 inches from Friday through Wednesday. On Friday, Harvey came ashore as a Cat 4 hurricane. And Houston got 20 inches in 24 hours, and it is still raining. Had they tried to evacuate Houston, the resulting death toll would be far higher than it is at present.

From what I am seeing, everyone is doing all they can in an impossible situation. All of America should be holding the people in Houston and surrounding areas in their prayers. This is a disaster of incredible magnitude, and those trying to play politics with it don't even deserve the title of American Citizen.

Last edited:
Also two high pressure system along with a Tropical depression off the East coast kept the storm from moving.

It was the perfect storm.

Cleanup is now going to be next and rebuilding.

The mayor, County Officials and Governor did their jobs!

Anyone that believe they could have done better need to come here and show us simple minded folks where we went wrong!
I did not understand why the Mayor of Houston said on August 27 to the people to stay at home? And to climb on the roof and wait for help, should he would have not say to avacuate?

Who can get out with Interstates underwater, it would have taken until they were starting just two days ago. I read it may be the most precipitation in the lower 48 known.

In just 57 hours, Harvey grew from a regenerated tropical depression over the Gulf of Mexico into a Category 4 hurricane, an incredible example of how rapid intensification can occur in hurricanes when atmospheric and oceanic conditions are ideal for development.

Harvey's rapid intensification was fueled by two main large-scale ingredients: favorable winds aloft and high oceanic heat content. There may have been other factors at play, but for now, let's examine the big picture.

Oh well...these things just happen. We don't affect the climate at all.

Oh well...these things just happen. We don't affect the climate at all.
Yes, that is going to be the meme of the 'Conservatives', in spite of the scientists predictions concerning exactly this kind of event. Warmer water, warmer atmosphere, more extreme precipitation events.

Just saw on the news that Houston has now received 49" of rain. Nearly a meter and a third of rain since Friday. That is hard to imagine in an area with good drainage, let alone a flat area like Houston.

I saw 50 inches possible a day or so ago, and thought "50"? Hardly sunk in until the photos hit home.

Houston is the fourth most populous city in the US. Over 2.3 million people. On Thursday, 1 pm, Harvey became a cat 1 hurricane. Suppose the mayor of Houston had asked people to evacuate at that point. They would have laughed at him. Cat 1, they saw that many times. And the max rain prediction at that time was for 20 inches from Friday through Wednesday. On Friday, Harvey came ashore as a Cat 4 hurricane. And Houston got 20 inches in 24 hours, and it is still raining. Had they tried to evacuate Houston, the resulting death toll would be far higher than it is at present.

From what I am seeing, everyone is doing all they can in an impossible situation. All of America should be holding the people in Houston and surrounding areas in their prayers. This is a disaster of incredible magnitude, and those trying to play politics with it don't even deserve the title of American Citizen.
Thank you for the explanations , Old Rocks, I saw the reports on CNN and many people seemed not to be satisfied with the decision of the Mayor, but the Hurricane did not follow the initial direction also it is a phenomenal catastrophe. And I hope they will not have many victims. In France in 2003 we had 15,000 deaths because of the heat wave the government did not react in time. Now we have alerts and we have been in a heat wave for 10 days in my area. It is difficult and it can also kill the most vunerable people

The article and sad news, a police officer trying to get to work is dead:

Tropical Storm Harvey breaks record for rainfall on U.S. mainland

He is a Heros Steve Perez had rescued 3,500 people across the city and were launching more boats in the water every hour. They had also arrested a crew of armed robbers who were hijacking vehicles.

heroes of Hurricane Harvey.

082817-ktrk-harvey-evac2-image.jpg

Houston Police SWAT officer Daryl Hudeck carries Catherine Pham and her 13-month-old son Aiden after rescuing them from their home surrounded by floodwaters. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

Hurricane Harvey heroes

Forum List

Back