Having to Show ID to Buy Compressed Air?

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
So this is a new one, I went to Target yesterday to buy another can of compressed air. I use it to clean my keyboard and also my electric razor. I had to have my ID scanned in order to buy it. What could possibly be the purpose for this? I was really annoyed by this, but kept my feelings to myself as the cashier obviously wasn't to blame for this stupid law.

It seems like more and more of our purchases are being tracked by the government as time goes on. A few years ago they started requiring ID and a log book in many states just to buy Sudafed, allegedly as a method to crack down on meth manufacturing, which of course hasn't worked. Now I have to have my ID scanned to buy a can of compressed air just to clean my laptop? How far away are we from having all of our purchases just logged electronically at every store and sent off to some big government database? I mean, why not, they're already downloading all of our emails and phone calls.

Welcome to the Total Surveillance State, and don't forget to Genuflect to The Won.

I know the reason for the ID requirement when buying Sudafed. But I don't know what nefarious purpose a can of compressed air can be applied to -- and I'm very curious.

Anyone know?

So this is a new one, I went to Target yesterday to buy another can of compressed air. I use it to clean my keyboard and also my electric razor. I had to have my ID scanned in order to buy it. What could possibly be the purpose for this? I was really annoyed by this, but kept my feelings to myself as the cashier obviously wasn't to blame for this stupid law.

It seems like more and more of our purchases are being tracked by the government as time goes on. A few years ago they started requiring ID and a log book in many states just to buy Sudafed, allegedly as a method to crack down on meth manufacturing, which of course hasn't worked. Now I have to have my ID scanned to buy a can of compressed air just to clean my laptop? How far away are we from having all of our purchases just logged electronically at every store and sent off to some big government database? I mean, why not, they're already downloading all of our emails and phone calls.

Target is a government agency?

How do you know your scanned information went to the government?

On this one, its better to revel in ignorance. The answer is really depressing.

You have to show an ID for compressed air because kids huff it to get high.

Terrorists can use compressed air to make bombs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_World_Trade_Center_bombing#Bomb_characteristics

Yousef was assisted by Iraqi bomb maker Abdul Rahman Yasin, who helped assemble the complex 1,310-pound (590 kg) bomb, which was made of a urea nitrate main charge with aluminum, magnesium and ferric oxide particles surrounding the explosive.
The charge used nitroglycerine, ammonium nitrate dynamite, smokeless powder and fuse as booster explosives.[16] Three tanks of bottled hydrogen were also placed in a circular configuration around the main charge, to enhance the fireball and afterburn of the solid metal particles.[17]
The use of compressed gas cylinders in this type of attack closely resembles the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing 10 years earlier.

Both of these attacks used compressed gas cylinders to create fuel-air and thermobaric bombs[18] that release more energy than conventional high explosives. According to testimony in the bomb trial, only once before the 1993 attack had the FBI recorded a bomb that used urea nitrate.

#####

A lot of little cans could make one big bomb.
Or a backpack bomb.

Be a warrior against terrorists, happily show your ID at Target.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

It's just the security agencies trying to stop terrorists and keep us all safe.

Yes, it's inconvenient and an 'invasion of privacy' to have to show your ID at Target to buy a can of compressed air...but it's a lot more inonvenient if you have your limbs blown off by terrorists.

Last edited:

Terrorists can use compressed air to make bombs.

1993 World Trade Center bombing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yousef was assisted by Iraqi bomb maker Abdul Rahman Yasin, who helped assemble the complex 1,310-pound (590 kg) bomb, which was made of a urea nitrate main charge with aluminum, magnesium and ferric oxide particles surrounding the explosive.
The charge used nitroglycerine, ammonium nitrate dynamite, smokeless powder and fuse as booster explosives.[16] Three tanks of bottled hydrogen were also placed in a circular configuration around the main charge, to enhance the fireball and afterburn of the solid metal particles.[17]
The use of compressed gas cylinders in this type of attack closely resembles the 1983 Beirut barracks bombing 10 years earlier.

Both of these attacks used compressed gas cylinders to create fuel-air and thermobaric bombs[18] that release more energy than conventional high explosives. According to testimony in the bomb trial, only once before the 1993 attack had the FBI recorded a bomb that used urea nitrate.[/i]

#####

A lot of little cans could make one big bomb.
Or a backpack bomb.

Be a warrior against terrorists, happily show your ID at Target.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

It's just the security agencies trying to stop terrorists and keep us all safe.

Yes, it's inconvenient and an 'invasion of privacy' to have to show your ID at Target to buy a can of compressed air...but it's a lot more inonvenient if you have your limbs blown off by terrorists.

You can't make a bomb out of Dust-Off.

Dust-Off is not flammable.

You can't make a bomb out of Dust-Off.

Dust-Off is not flammable.
I didn't think so, which is why I'm asking.

Also, I know "huffing" nitrous oxide produces a high, but compressed air?

The list of things you can inhale to get high is staggeringly long.

Dust-Off started getting press a few years ago when a kid died from it.

Hell yea, bro!
Buying compressed air is more important than voting!

On this one, its better to revel in ignorance. The answer is really depressing.

You have to show an ID for compressed air because kids huff it to get high.

They can do the same with glue, but nobody is carding people for that (as far as I know). It's a stupid policy.

It is a stupid policy - but I can't find any law about it, which makes me believe this is a corporate policy, not a government one.

I'm assuming it is the State of Nevada or could be a Clark County thing, I suppose. I doubt it's Target's policy.

I can't seem to find anything about a law, neither "Nevada" nor "Clark county" adds any relevant results on Google.

I would tend to think its a PR reaction to something on Target's part. Maybe some kid got caught recently, and they're getting flack. Who knows?

I tend to think there would be stories about it if a law had been passed. It's the sort of law that those who wrote it would want publicized.

Forum List

Back